Kharma, Raidho, Magico - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2014, 01:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

It all comes down to your skills and experience as a designer and builder. You can buy the most expensive, highest performing drivers in the world and build a horrible loudspeaker. You can also buy average or even low cost drivers and build amazing speaker.
Expensive/high performance drivers only give you an opportunity and often easier crossover design possibility.
Based on the initial question, I would suggest to build someones design that's been well documented and established.

TB is a high performance smallish midwoofer. If I am not mostaken it's used in the Statement design. Dayton AMT is not a high performance driver. I'd stay away from it.

Last edited by R-Carpenter; 6th February 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 6th February 2014, 01:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
If combining a TB and a Dayton driver resulted in a cost no object speaker everyone would have state of the art sound. Every speaker I've heard with Accuton drivers sounded terrific.
Yah but they got some probs namely in the ringing depart, they perform excellently and r very linear but the ringing is what causes the wave phenomenon in the frequency response graph
Old 6th February 2014, 01:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
It all comes down to your skills and experience as a designer and builder. You can buy the most expensive, highest performing drivers in the world and build a horrible loudspeaker. You can also buy average or even low cost drivers and build amazing speaker.
Expensive/high performance drivers only give you an opportunity and often easier crossover design possibility.
Based on the initial question, I would suggest to build someones design that's been well documented and established.
Well I have some very smart friends in the crossover design and cabinet design department, if all else fails I could use an Avalon-like enclosure
Old 6th February 2014, 01:48 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashing View Post
Yah but they got some probs namely in the ringing depart, they perform excellently and r very linear but the ringing is what causes the wave phenomenon in the frequency response graph
Wave phenomenon?
All drivers ring. It's just a matter of where and how.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
Wave phenomenon?
All drivers ring. It's just a matter of where and how.
Duh but these r some of the worse in terms of ringing, they would be very flat but the frequency response spikes when they ring, otherwise they would be fairly linear
Old 6th February 2014, 02:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Duh but these r some of the worse in terms of ringing, they would be very flat but the frequency response spikes when they ring, otherwise they would be fairly linear
they are not the worse in terms of ringing. Ringing or cone break up is fairly high up and under normal circumstances would be filtered out. There's nothing unusual there.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:37 AM   #17
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These four speakers are easily, in my opinion, the best in stand-mounted(well the Kharmas aren't) two way mini monitor I've have yet to hear...
1. Raidho D1
2. Magician mini II
3. Khama mini exquisite
4. Evolution acoustics mmmico1
I would like to combine the best elements of these in an attempt at a cost no object dyi mini monitor, assuming I have some time this summer. I'm considering using a custom accustom bass midrange incorporating some of the technology found in all of these. The holes made in the accustom drivers by Kharma and then weighted to reduce ringing, for example.
Two variables required to make a good speaker: (1) Performance of the drivers, are the ceiling or potential that you can achieve with (2) performance of the designer.

Most if not all performance of the drivers can be seen simply from measurements of individual drivers.

You want a light cone for ultimate resolution, but in order to reduce flexing (which causes distortion) you want it rigid. Not many elements can be used here, and the price can exponentially get high and high. The diamond is probably the best (used in the Raidho). Ceramic (used by Accuton) is probably the best in term of (1) Performance per cost, or (2) Rigidity per weight.

Distortion test results are your best friends here when they are available. John Krutke has several independent measurement examples of some drivers.

Fs (resonance frequency) is the ceiling of bass performance. It is the weakest link in mini monitor performance. If you want all good virtues of above monitors, you have to get an Fs equal to the lowest of the four.

Midrange "magic" can be (1) perfect execution of the crossover (2) second order distortion.

All good speaker designers know what to do with EVERY technical variables, but then there is subjective performance that requires good ears or listening skill.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:54 AM   #18
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

..might be kind of interesting to do a very large stand-mount 2 way based on Paul W's Raptor.. but with an identical 2nd horn-loaded mid-tweet in the rear out of phase (dipolar) and using these mid-bass drivers instead of the Excel 10" from Seas:

http://www.expolinear.de/images/stor...%20245%20g.pdf

Podszus-Görlich TT245G - AUDIO CONSTRUCTOR -

Paul's Raptors:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...-a-10-quot-MTM

..not cheap, and not small though. ..and of course all piano-black (except for the shiny midbass drivers).

Last edited by ScottG; 6th February 2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 6th February 2014, 03:37 AM   #19
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

You don't need expensive drive units to get good sound. A good sounding speakers is very much dependent on the sum if its whole, very good sound is available from treated paper for eg. Focus on xover and design, cabinet construction and of course drive units to fit the desired bandwidth. Best to listen and voice drivers when choosing , unless it has changed over the years the coloration on the accuton type drivers were unacceptable to me , very unnatural sounding.
Old 6th February 2014, 03:49 AM   #20
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
..unless it has changed over the years the coloration on the accuton type drivers were unacceptable to me , very unnatural sounding.
This depends a lot on the crossover and loading.. but most designs I've heard using them. A few however..

..TIDAL comes to mind quickly of a visual aesthetic you want to run to, and a sonic aesthetic you want to run from.

Hide this!Advertise here!