Ignorance ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2014, 08:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ignorance ?

I have now subscribed to two threads where I offered my 35 years of electronic and system experience.

In both cases my messages were totally ignored.

How long do I have to be in electronics before someone takes my advice ?
Old 24th January 2014, 08:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
We all listen here, we read, evaluate, ponder......often times scratch our collective heads. Advice taken with a grain-of-salt....flavors things. I would guess your advice offered had to be studied, contemplated or otherwise "processed" by the reader. Don't be dismayed if those who have read your posts don't respond directly. It has been read for sure, perhaps you tied things up in a knot too cleanly, not requiring a response, answering your own question.
????

________________________________________________Ri ck.............
Old 24th January 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

A short and easy answer would be: general public has lousy tastes.

The complete answer is probably more complex: the generic expression for describing such a situation is: "the public is not ready for it ".
Which can mean everything and nothing.
If you offer your best knowledge and advice on this kind of outlet, you have to be prepared for any kind of response/reaction/appreciation (most often the worst).

I have seen incredible gems of knowledge offered for free and simply go unnoticed (browse through jcx posts for instance) and pieces of crap puffed to incredible levels (I will not not give examples there, as they would be moderated anyway).
I sometimes provide valuable pieces of advice (I think so anyway) which are generally completely ignored, but I am prepared to that kind of outcome.

That is the way things go, and before the internet era things were no different: the media were, but the principles have remained the same for some thousands of years. (ever since the written language was invented)
Old 24th January 2014, 09:08 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
You'd be surprised the effect that clear and logical answers have on many people who are not actively responding or posting. And of course, we tend to rank very high in Google searches. You likely have not cast your pearls before swine.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

May I offer an opinion? And I'd like to preface by saying I've been helped immensely by a number of folks here (including, in different ways, each of you that have posted here) in my journey of learning electronics and audio design specifically.

I constantly try and remind myself that "Being right rarely helps" and recently I've been trying to live by "It's never the problem, always the person". What I'm trying to say with both these axioms is that communication of anything to anyone requires that everything about their feelings to a problem or topic needs to be engaged as well if you are to sway them to your way of thinking (irrespective of whether you are objectively right or wrong!).

Learning is hard as well - and made harder if the students ego is bruised by being presented with an idea that makes what they currently believe 'wrong'. In true learning these moments are 'aha!' instances where a misconception is overcome and a better understanding occurs. Sadly, for a lot of people this moment of being humbled is more than their ego can accept, and as such disregard or ignore the 'aha!' information.

In short - it's not you, it's them. If you want to actually alter someones opinion, the investment of energy and effort is often directly proportional to the 'truth' of the information you are offering. I'd second SY's point as well - the potential for learning here at DiyAudio is awesome, and the access to genuine experts who give their time and efforts to complete learners like myself is genuinely appreciated. Maybe not by the folk you're writing to on a thread, but to those researching and learning later on.

Thank you! Each of you has contributed to my learning, even if you didn't know it at the time.
Old 25th January 2014, 01:04 AM   #6
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree with all of the posts above...been there
Old 25th January 2014, 01:13 AM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey, I'm ignored all the time.. lol In general I agree with all of the previous comments. If you help just one person that imo is a good outcome.
Old 25th January 2014, 01:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am involved in another endeavour and there it is well known that the sheeple have got it always wrong. In that avenue it is best to follow your own insights and go contrary to what the public is doing.

We all would like to be recognised and respected, unfortunately that is a rare occurrence. It am fond of the expression: "If a scientist and an imbecile argue in front of a panel of lay persons then the lay persons cannot distinguish who is the idiot and who is the scientist".

As such I have now stopped giving advice, what's the point? More often than not there will turn up some tire kicker that will post some snotty remarks and that you do not know $h1t, well I have got better things to do with my time than to argue with nil result.

I have long ago learned that if I want to know something I will need to go back to the original literature, often stuff published 30, 40, 60 years ago.

For instance recently I need to have the definitive answer if the screen tap on an UL transformer needed a grid stopper or not. Took me several days before stumbling on documentation from May 1955 that yes it is required (47 ~ 200 Ohm) and yes it is best to have a small capacitor between screen and plate (1nF ~ 2nF) and that the "usual" UL tap of 43% is not always correct nor that every tube is designed for UL operation.

Enjoy what you are creating, enjoy listening to your creation and forget the rest.

Last edited by AmadeusMozart; 25th January 2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 25th January 2014, 07:36 AM   #9
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I have now subscribed to two threads where I offered my 35 years of electronic and system experience.

In both cases my messages were totally ignored.

There's another aspect to this, aside from what's been mentioned above.

In my experience, how long someone's been doing something is not a useful indicator of how good they are at it. For example, there's plenty of people out there who've been driving for 40 or 50 years and are definitely not good at it.

On a related note, some of the worst nonsense I've seen on this forum has been written by people who try to boost their credibility by claiming "I'm an expert", "I have xx years experience", "I'm an engineer", or something similar.

In a nutshell, an attitude like "Trust me, I'm an expert" doesn't cut much ice around here.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:18 AM   #10
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ignorance is bliss,

so they say....a little knowledge is dangerous..

However from my experience there are control systems, signal systems and signal control systems, then there is good practice and then there is audio....

When all is said and done...people are engineers..
people do hobbies and make judgements based upon belief and understanding.

As was said to me once, should a fishing contest winner tell everyone along the river that they are fishing in the wrong way.

We all start somewhere and where we end up is down to fate and the ability to learn.

In the words of Bruce lee...you have to empty your cup before I put anything in it..

After many years of learning and teaching and trying to learn...the more I learn the more I understand I know nothing<<and I'm serious!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 25th January 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!