What one does with autistic, gifted children - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2013, 02:33 AM   #21
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

For an insight, read this:

Ido in Autismland

Ido in Autismland: Climbing Out of Autism's Silent Prison: Ido Kedar: 9780988324701: Amazon.com: Books

He is an autism sufferer. Believes it's qualitatively different from Asperger's and can make a good argument for the claim.

Nonetheless, sufferers of both conditions have social difficulties.

Old 28th December 2013, 08:00 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

A number of people out here have found quite good results with this "Tomatis Sound Therapy" that I myself use to get rid of my tinnitus and CPS (Cocktail Party Syndrome)

Curiously, that 'all natural' enzyme supplement called "Wobenzym" that's been around for years and is usually recommended for inflammation reduction, joint aches, etc is also quite useful, without side effects, apparently.

Old 28th December 2013, 09:58 AM   #23
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
"What one does with autistic, gifted children"

Love them, treat them with courtesy and kindness and try to help the ignorant realize they are fellow human beings.

No one is perfect. We all have imperfections of some sort.
Just wanted to say where's the like button!! I think probably the best suggestion on the thread

Tony.

Old 28th December 2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
"...I thought her school would be able to help..."

Yeah, in a way, like all other similar schools I guess. I always felt that more could be done but don't know how !
I'm not sure the school is sufficiently helpful. Unfortunately she has been 16. This kind of problem should be addressed very early since they are babies.

I have seen many parents make the same mistake. Starting with cannot accept/admit that their kid has problem (thinking they are gifted instead) then do not do what is necessary to fix the problem.

The main idea is to help them to become self dependent. They shouldnt be allowed to develop "by themselves", tey have to be trained. Many animals can be trained to do smart things. Autistic children, no matter severe, are better than animals. They should be able to wash themselves, pee in toilet, eat or wear shirts.

I found many autistic kids difficult to handle. That's one parents mistake. They should be trained since babies to follow order, to behave like normal people. Parents should be discipline (and patient to promote it) instead of pitying the kid and allow them to do whatever they want (and let them become useless adults). Here parents should have dominant or choleric personality. Or if not, find a suitable "teacher".

After becoming teenagers, I believe the main idea still the same, they have to be trained to become self dependent. Find out their interest and talent and develop them so they can become productive.

The most difficult problem IMO is emotional problem. With normal people this is problematic, with autistic would be worse. This is to be addressed very early by parents or teacher who understand psychology. I have seen an autistic kid who was patient when bullied by his friends. But I have seen other who has a tendency for suicide because of emotional weakness.

Old 29th December 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Banned

Quote:
A number of people out here have found quite good results with this "Tomatis Sound Therapy" that I myself use to get rid of my tinnitus and CPS (Cocktail Party Syndrome)
By "out here", do you mean Australia, and has it been properly tested or only anecdotes?

Old 29th December 2013, 03:25 PM   #26
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Back on topic, please.

Old 29th December 2013, 04:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocrates
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food
although diet is not a cure in the case of autism as the damage has been done . it may alleviate some of the symptoms .

ataxia and other dietary linked problems may be masked by the underlying condition .

Old 29th December 2013, 04:41 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
psychic - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Are you really claiming this girl can see the future or dead people? If so, please ask her for next Saturday's lotto numbers?

autism and thimerosal - Skeptimedia - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

All this rain man and other nonsense has clouded a GENETIC problem for a long time. Yes, do some research. Parents (or grandparents) with autism spectrum disorder have kids with the same condition.
Gee, who would have thought that sort of of problem has a genetic basis? (Sorry, it was a rhetorical question because parents will never attribute their own kids problems to the genes they gave them.)

Abs
genetics is more complex than we give credit . genes can turn on or off or forever stay dormant .

a women with the breast cancer gene is less likely to get breast cancer but if she does its more likely to be aggressive .

heart attacks started killing people around 100 years ago , cancer in children started around 50 years ago . many diseases have a beginning in our history .
the history of most diseases will clearly show no genetic link . although every choice one makes is in someway genetically influenced . so genes will always play some part .

modern diseases have a modern cause . its all well documented .

the medical profession spend billions on researching the effects of diseases on the human body and not on how the disease happened in the first place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocrates
It is far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.
the richest countries are the sickest countries , because the money in treatment and research far outweighs the money for the cure .

disease then in the main is a personal choice , probably one which you was unaware of .

you have to sign for treatment and thus all results are voluntary , so if you die from a vaccine it is classed as a voluntary suicide . as is dying from a skin cream , its all part of the ICD10 , which are the codes used by many countries on your death certificates .

ICD10-x64 covers suicide by vaccine .

Old 29th December 2013, 07:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Yes, Absconditus,

Here in Oz, the Tomatis Therapy is available via a number of "Wellness Centres" (Alternative Health Centres) and under other names all around the world - it was developed about 60 years ago in Europe and is very well tested indeed - it's just not 'mainstream medicine' and unheard of by our 'normal' medical institutions.

Wobenzym have been around for about 40 years and is also very well documented, for all sorts of ailments and happily it seems to be useful with people suffering from Autism too - it's classed as a health food by the FDA so is readily available in the US and isn't at all expensive.

As Mikie indicated above, there is so much money invested in trying to keep us 'healthy' via 'the medical/hospital system' that alternative methods are slow to be tried/used particularly if there is little financial return for the pharmaceutical companies, etc

Old 29th December 2013, 09:17 PM   #30
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
it's just not 'mainstream medicine' and unheard of by our 'normal' medical institutions.
IOW, there's really no good evidence of efficacy and controlled studies refute the claims.

A few examples of actual studies:

Auditory Integration Training and Facilitated Communication for Autism
http://www.audiology.org/resources/d...0Statement.pdf
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association | The Efficacy of Auditory Integration Training<subtitle>A Double Blind Study</subtitle>
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association | Auditory Integration Training<subtitle>Placing the Burden of Proof</subtitle>
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association | Auditory Integration Training

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!