2 vs 1 monitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 vs 1 monitors

i need some opinions on whether i should go for a standard 2 monitor setup at home, or a single ultra wide (21:9) monitor. I have used 2 monitors setups before, but i'd like a new experience, so i'd like to know if anyone has used one of these monitors before and if it's sufficient to replace a 2 monitor setup.

this is the monitor i am considering purchasing: So Viral It's Scary - Men can't multitask #LGUltraWide - YouTube

thanks in advance!
Old 26th December 2013, 08:25 AM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have thought about this monitor for home use instead of 2 spate monitors, I either do PCB CAD or photography with Lightroom 5.
I couldn't take the ultra wide home, but did have a play in a PC shop, looks impressive but:
If I had only room for one monitor I would use this type just to get the extra information on screen.
But because of how I use a PC I prefer two separate std. wide screen monitors, that is just my personal preference, and mainly due to the software I use and the work I do on computers. I don't play games or similar on a PC, but if I did I may have a different view. Where I worked a couple of years ago we had 3 high res monitors that could be rotated for portrait or landscape, now that is the best set up.
An ultra wide with 3 standard wide screens either side would be ace.
Old 26th December 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Banned

I am using 3 monitors.

It is completely awesome. I like being able to spit things up into 2 or 3 separate fullscreen displays, rather then try and resize things all the time to fit on one big display.

I would never go back to a single monitor system as my main computer, even if it was large. I prefer the wrap around effect that 3 screens brings, easier to read things in corners.

I could go on and on about how awesome it is...I highly recommend it. Once you do it will be hard to imagine using a computer with one screen.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I thought you were thinking about going monaural.

Whenever I read 'monitor' I think studio monitors, never computer screens. ;-)
Old 26th December 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Banned

I am using 3 LG 22" IPS panels.

That ultra wide would make a nice center/main monitor with one or more of the other LGs on the side. The bezel etc. looks identical to some of the other LG IPS.

I would go for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!