Interesting observations of YouTube recordings. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2013, 11:01 PM   #21
Banned

I started to translate Le systeme de Mr Sato by Jean Hiraga, I thought I would see if there was a English copy of it floating around first.

I did not feel the need to start a new thread, just thought I would see if anyone was interested in a translation.

Le systme de Mr Sato (J.Hiraga)

I pretty sure this build is going to happen, I will at least give it a go.
When a particular design(s) are selected or created, I will start a thread in the appropriate category.
Old 28th December 2013, 12:02 AM   #22
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H E Pennypacker View Post
That naturally got my thinking what the track would sound like coming straight from my computer. (Just an MP3 of it, not a recording of another stereo)
Charly Antolini - Cabriolet - 1981 - YouTube

The result is disappointing. lol Now I know that the fellow probably had a better copy then the video I linked, but I don't think it could be that much better.
It's all about the added reverb in the listening space, being picked up by the camera. The SQ is pretty good, the treble is just a touch lacking - but there is plenty of dynamics. The bounce in the bloke's room is adding to the sound, and it's enhancing, not detracting from the original sound.

That's how live sound works - and how good systems should work: if you have to use room treatments to 'tame' the sound then the playback system is not sufficiently optimised ...
Old 28th December 2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Banned

I agree with all of that, it is sound reasoning, no pun intended.

I still need to experience the horns though. There is defiantly something to that.
Old 28th December 2013, 12:47 AM   #24
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not so much horns, it's either efficient speakers, or amplification and source chain that can stay clean when high power levels are being delivered - the latter frequently doesn't happen, hence lacklustre sound ...
Old 28th December 2013, 12:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I've been perusing compression drivers (modern ) for this application. All I have found so far roll off at about 600 Hz, not quite to the 280 or so we're looking for.
The woodworking skills required to build such are complex & time consuming....as the French link shows. A method MUST be used whereby this level of complexity can be averted.
Do we "need" to use this SATO design? Parameters of out-right size should be established, frequency coverage settled on...if a design does not yet exist, could the Hornresp. program "create" a design within a "convoluted" shape parameter?
Yes, that giant horn 1928 WE is too large but I think something between the two could be designed. I do have the HornResp. program but I can't make heads or tails of the thing.
I'll take a look at it again.....

______________________________________________Rick .................

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 28th December 2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 28th December 2013, 01:14 AM   #26
Banned

Yes have a look please.
It doesn't have to be a Sato horn at all, it's more for reference and inspiration.
Old 28th December 2013, 01:21 AM   #27
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool! Thanks for the link to the article, I just finished reading it. Odd that I had not seen it before, glad to see it now. About 4 years after that was written Mr. Hiraga and I were doing the demos in Paris with a very similar system. Not sure what a system like that would sound like in a 20 sq meter room, but in a bigger space it was fantastic.

Hide this!Advertise here!