The death of the home stereo system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I see a whole new generation of hearing impaired in the not too distant future.

Ear-buds with the volume way too loud.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well, there will probably always be those nostalig, stubborn people like me who just want a good stereo set with crisp, clear sound...
I do have mobile audio (on my phone, HTC) but i refuse to wear those trendy earplugs, instead opting for a MDR XB700 wich costs a bit more, but it's sound quality is good enough for me to notice bad quality in the MP3's long before the headphones themselves start distorting. And they're the most comfortable headphones i had so far (that thick, soft foam is really comfortable, not squishing my ears or squeezing my glasses in my head).

So from what I see (with my narrow vision), 5.1 and 7.1 is giving way again for good ol' stereo (and 2.1). Which is good! Because I always (stubbornly) said to my mates and family that their new-fangled surround systems would never out-class or out-perform my old stereo system. Althoug an old, decent stereo set will easily win over an el-cheapo surround set, especially if you only have stereo sources...
Old 8th October 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
There's a shift in the source for sure. Everything I listen to is either in FLAC on my computer or internet radio. Other than that nothing has changed for me. I gave up on trying to mix home theater and audio. Our family room is dedicated 5.1, and our living room is 2.1.
I am in the process of doing exactly that. The living room may keep a TV for news, but the surround and processing is coming out. BUT, I do want to be able to feed it from a variety of digital sources. Modern, higher quality sources. Smaller TV that drops out of sight so we can have the window again. That new Parasound preamp has my name written all over it!

"Generic" components including power supplies, get better every day when we demand it. Remember the arguments when OpAmps first came out, and when they became acceptable with the 5538 and now the Nationals are truly sufficient. I have no doubt at some time in the future, something that looks like an iPod will actually be high fidelity. Some will always hate it as it won't be able to be tweaked. Remember car radios of the 80's? Now most OEM units are good enough the aftermarket has collapsed.

Besides, the speakers are still 90% of the sound. The room treatments the other 90%. Electronics are a minor accessory.
Old 8th October 2013, 10:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Besides, the speakers are still 90% of the sound. The room treatments the other 90%. Electronics are a minor accessory.
I just like that you think BIG.
Old 10th October 2013, 03:57 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not to forget the final 90% for those of us who share the listening space, WAF/SAF.

My wife is still complaining about me kicking out the 320L TH 8 months ago.
Old 10th October 2013, 04:34 AM   #16
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now I see why mp3 encoding removes 90% of the bits - to balance out the audio quality with that of the speakers and the room.
Old 10th October 2013, 04:47 AM   #17
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have no doubt at some time in the future, something that looks like an iPod will actually be high fidelity.
This is meant to be close now.

Astell & Kern AK120 gets official UK launch | whathifi.com
Old 10th October 2013, 06:02 PM   #18
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Wowsers!
Old 10th October 2013, 10:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

*impressed whistle*
Looks impressive...
It's a bit above my budget, but it's right up my alley: sleek, simple design and (as it seems) uncompromising quality.

I like excessive quality. But I really start loving it if the levels of quality are so uncompromisingly brutal, that it'll exceed the best of the best, not by miles, but by entire parsecs (levels of quality you can't even justify to the most insane afficionado)
Old 11th October 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
I see a whole new generation of hearing impaired in the not too distant future.

Ear-buds with the volume way too loud.
It was shown that with sealed buds, damage occurs at far lower levels. Down into the " just jammin" range. Damage is also related to length of exposure.

Invest in hearing aid companies.

Hide this!Advertise here!