UK Postal service, WTF! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default UK Postal service, WTF!

Seems I have found my limit in diy, it's not lack of knowledge, what I don't know is easily found on here or other sites. No it's the UK postal service, they have screwed up ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I have tried to build! I get some parts delivered, eventually, enough to get my hopes up but not enough to actually complete anything!

This is new to me, I used to be able to rely on them, not any more! it's so bad I think i'll have to give up altogether on diy! Miserable Country!
Old 29th August 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That sounds strange. Are you ordering from recognised suppliers ? I would say your experience is in a minority. I've found the standard postal service to be generally excellent, usually with small packages arriving next day.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
I agree with Mooly. Larger stuff I always use CityLink but letter and small packages, RMail seem fine.
There is however an issue in the Scottish Highlands and remote places.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Strangely enough I usually get the items sent by small ebay sellers, they have to refund if badly late etc so not that surprising. It's Farnell orders and stuff coming from abroad that seems to go missing. The list is now too long to bother typing but out of four projects I started this summer, one is actually finished, a C moy headphone amp kit from Freds Amps in Oz, it too went missing for a couple of months and finally turned up soggy and distressed. The other thing i'm sick of is being charged Island delivery rates, simply because of my area code, when I live on the mainland. Anyway I have worked it out, I have to double order everything from at least two separate suppliers in the hope that one of the orders will get here.
Old 29th August 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The other thing i'm sick of is being charged Island delivery rates, simply because of my area code, when I live on the mainland.
Maybe your stuff gets sent to the island first, then back again. Write to your local Royal Mail manager. If he fobs you off, contact your MP.
Old 29th August 2013, 02:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

From what I can gather stuff usually gets stalled in a warehouse either south of the border or in Glasgow. It's usually not the local post office at fault but the system. I share a huge postal area which extends from just outside Glasgow (Paisley) to me in North Argyll 90 miles away and which includes a number of islands too. If it is prefixed by a code near the city your stuff will get to you usually next day but the rest of us are treated as a foreign country and usually charged a huge extra premium even though I have the Glasgow train passing by here several times a day! Loads of southern UK ebay sellers refuse point blank to send items here.

Anyway I have just ordered more diodes from another two suppliers because Farnell's order went missing. Hopefully one of the orders will actually make it here!
Old 29th August 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Not much UK post goes by rail any more. Most is on the road. Long distance is by air.

My post (Cambridgeshire) is generally OK for letters and large parcels but a bit slow for small packets. Just to confuse things, many satnavs send delivery drivers into a small cul-de-sac on the other side of the road. Drivers these days, of course, are incapable of reading maps.
Old 29th August 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yup astonishing aint it, 100 years ago packages could be sent the length and breadth of the UK in a couple of days by guys shovelling coal into steam engines and straw into ponys.
Old 1st September 2013, 04:13 AM   #9
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

In the mid 1990s, I was in London on business, and wanted some goodies from Maplin. So, I prudently ordered on a Monday to allow all week for them to show up. The very next morning, less than 24 hours, the parcel was delivered to my room. Terrible service; if it had been the 1890s, I probably would have received the parts the same day.
Old 1st September 2013, 11:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Remember, you were in London, the centre of the universe you should try the same thing again but from where I am in North Argyll.

It's simply a case of priorities old bean

A pal of mine says it's a case of mind over matter, they don't mind, we don't matter.

Hide this!Advertise here!