Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Default Salt "n" Pepper

I don't know if it is just me, but in all my travels and visits to restaurants, cafe's, hotels, private homes, and anywhere else that you might find a salt and pepper grinder set for your use, I have noticed that in nearly every case they are unusable because they have not been assembled correctly after filling! You rotate the top of the grinder only to cover your food in lumps of partially crushed salt or pepper corns!?
Why is it so hard for people to get this right? I mean it's not complicated is it!
Unscrew the top fill with salt/ pepper, screw the top back on and then.....here comes the technical bit;
turn the grinder "upside down" and turn the top whilst observing the grinding wheel in the base to ensure no lumps of salt or hole pepper corns are preventing the mechanism to close properly. Adjust accordingly with the screw holding the top on, (this time the right way up,) and not over your food. Tighten screw to make a finer grind and un tighten for a courser grind.

I knew someone who was actually going to buy a new set of salt and pepper grinders because "they were not working"!? Until I "fixed them" !
Duh!
Old 8th August 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Here's one for you. In many places around here you have salt and pepper shakers (now don't start). The saly has one hole and the pepper has multiple. Do you think they ever get it right? No sir, you get a ****load of salt on your meal and you take 10 minutes trying to shake enough pepper out that one little hole.

Or same scenario: The large hole shaker is for the pepper and the one with the smaller holes is for salt. Again, think they get it right?

On the billiard table, why does everyone rack the balls with the flat part (lip) on the table? It's supposed to be up to allow an unimpeded removal from the table and to see close to the spot.
Old 9th August 2013, 01:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is there an app for that? E

ps: If you need to add salt or pepper to a well prepared, well seasoned meal, check your taste-buds!
Old 9th August 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Over the years I bought quite a few pepper mills but the only one the works consistently and predictably is the one whose grinding gears are made by Peugeot.

All other ones either blocked up, suddenly ground too coarse or too fine at times.

I use the pool triangle with the lip down so as not to prematurely wear down the felt when adjusting it's position.
The 8 ball goes on the spot so using the triangle upside down doesn't help at all.
I don't use a triangle on a billiard table, it's kinda pointless as a billiard table has no pockets and you only use 3 balls anyway.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 9th August 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 9th August 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I have friends who don't know what a room thermostat does. When they are cold they turn it up 10 degrees, or so. When they are then too warm they turn it down 10 degrees, or so. I'm sure they think it is just a rotary switch, or perhaps a heating power output control.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Haha I have so much trouble explaining that to my wife DF96!! she complains that the heater has stopped working because it's fan (and heat output) has slowed down, when it is just that the room has reached the set temperature. It doesn't matter how many time I explain it

My favorite salt and pepper grinders are actually Ikea ones. They are upside down ones and work a treat!

Tony.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
The 8 ball goes on the spot.
Never seen that.
Quote:
lip down so as not to prematurely wear down the felt
You are adjusting too roughly, like they do in pubs. Shaking it all around does what exactly?
Quote:
I don't use a triangle on a billiard table
Yes, thank you my mistake, Pool Table.
Old 9th August 2013, 01:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Haha I have so much trouble explaining that to my wife DF96!! she complains that the heater has stopped working because it's fan (and heat output) has slowed down, when it is just that the room has reached the set temperature. It doesn't matter how many time I explain it
Tony.
oh god me too!

we have one in our car for both sides.
she gets cold then hot then cold then hot allot!
i try to help her but she gets mad. but ive learned to say F it!
i now say nothing unless she makes a grab for my side.
then its a bugger off, make yourself uncomfortable cause you wont listen.
Old 9th August 2013, 01:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Never seen that.

You are adjusting too roughly, like they do in pubs. Shaking it all around does what exactly?

Yes, thank you my mistake, Pool Table.
Never seen it any other way, probably continental differences.
Never watched a professional tournament. When people get good enough at pool in Europe they move on to either billiards or snooker.

Who said anything about shaking things around?
I have no idea to what end people might do that.
Old 9th August 2013, 02:50 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakellog
we have one in our car for both sides.
Interesting. In every car I have owned there is just one heat knob which appears to set the exit temperature of the air, or possibly not even that but the amount of heat put into it. Except on the very coldest days it needs turning down once the car interior has warmed up.

Perhaps some people just think that all temperature setting knobs must work in the same way? I once had to explain to my sister that setting an oven to 200C would not make it heat up any faster to 160C than setting it at 160C. I'm not sure she was convinced.

Hide this!Advertise here!