Andrew Sachs: a radio play without words

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if there is a way to find and/or download this radio play?

Radio 3
c. 1976 The Revenge* ( a play without words)

On Friday 16 Jan 04 at 9.30am (rpt 3am), BBC7, there is an unusual and unique treat in store - a play with no words. The Revenge is a thriller written and interpreted by Andrew Sachs and directed by Glyn Dearman. First broadcast on 1st June 1978, it was the world's first radio drama without words and relies completely on sound effects. (info. from BBC7 newsletter, 10Jan 04)

Update...it was broadcast again on "Radio 7" (the new name for bbc7) in November 2008. Here are some remarks by Bert Coules about the way in which it was recorded:

...."The Revenge was one of the products of the BBC's brief fling with binaural stereo, where the recording is made by two microphones fixed to a dummy head roughly in the position of the ears. Later, the head was replaced with a vertical disc which had more or less the same effect sonically but was less disturbing from a visual point of view: early binaural sessions had the look of heads on pikes at Traitors' Gate.

Quite a few shows were made this way, including a Sherlock Holmes series starring Barry Foster and David Buck. Binaural turned out to be a bit of a passing fad, but it was fun - especially for the engineers - while it lasted".

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, I found it on another site, but its a site that wants you to download installers and lots of junk. I think you can play from the site directly but again beware, it seems to open lots of windows and has a mind of its own.

(I don't worry over what it does because I can revert back with Acronis True Image)

I can (I think) record it with Audacity but I was trying to get the actual file to burn to a CD.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Done.

I've removed the link I put up earlier because it definitely does unwanted things to your PC. Apparently I'm now not running IE as my default browser (now Torch !) even though I expressly unticked any options.

Time for Acronis methinks, the most important prog I have :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hope you enjoy it Andrew. I only heard it via laptop speakers (on full) because that was the only way to record to Audacity from the inbuilt soundcard.

(I used to watch all the GP's some years ago but interest waned. It seemed to get a bit tame with all the regulation changes)

The odd Binaural play and so on sometimes turns up on radio even now. I posted this last year but seems no one was interested at the time (and the link is long expired)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/205948-binaural-podcast-bbc-have-listen.html

Zero D
I tend to rely on Acronis and a meticulous multiple backup schedule. I'm never more than 24 hours from a full (incremental) image. And I only use Microsoft security essentials on both my PC's and find it mostly does a good job. Can't really blame it for what happened with that link because I accepted the user account warnings to go ahead and install stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.