Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you (win7) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you (win7)

Did you know: Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you and sending everything you do to MS... It's true OPEN the following (following applies to win7)

Start Menu
Accessories
System Tools
Task Scheduler

On the left you'll see "Task Scheduler Library" seems innocent enough right... Expand it the expand microsoft then expand Windows. As you go through the list some are innocent enough but there are several that are sending your use info to "who knows who" at MS. Just a few that I've disabled are "application experience" "customer experience improvement program" "location" "WPD"
Old 26th June 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Microsoft and who else???? Just about everybody. Read the user agreement in from your email provider. This is cut and pasted from mine:

"Yahoo's automated systems scan and analyze all email, IM and other communications content.........We may customize some ads based on information sent to us by your computer and cookies."

Gathered from my computer at work:

IP Address: 10.199.00.00 (edited)

Browser: IE 8.0
Screen Resolution: 1280x1024
Color Depth: 32

Age Range: 56 - 65

Last edited by tubelab.com; 26th June 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is why I am awaiting ReactOS. But the development is so sloooowwww.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

I know they're spying on me and I like it. Maybe they will learn something after all.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I know they're spying on me and I like it. Maybe they will learn something after all.
LOL
Old 26th June 2013, 02:05 PM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csom View Post
This is why I am awaiting ReactOS. But the development is so sloooowwww.
Development of a binary compatible XP clone is unlikely to speed up at this stage of the game. A couple simple things that preserve some privacy are the SRWare Iron browser and Ghostery plug in. Some sites sell you a dozen times plus. Many resources are available for those wnating to go the extra mile: Threat Wire
Old 27th June 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know they're spying on me and I like it.....Maybe they will learn something after all.
I work full time as an RF engineer by day, and blow up tubes in my free time. I have a 1TB hard drive nearly full of info downloaded as a result of Google searches. If they are watching they could learn all about some very old technology, and the state of the art in RF communications systems.

Despite the current MS VS Google commercials running on TV, Bing is totally useless for finding technical information, at least on my choice of topics. Google is my first choice, followed my Digikey and Mouser!
Old 27th June 2013, 02:31 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I no longer worry about it, and just try to take reasonable precautions not to leak absolutely everything about me.. OTOH who the hell is going to care about me except where crass commercial gain (or the potential for it) is involved.

I've found Bing to be generally inferior to Google on just about any topic I care to search about. Useless for tech stuff as George pointed out.

I use Ubuntu linux, XP, Win 7 and Android (Jelly Bean) and these OS collect some information on user experience, not to mention statistics, logs and application data when crashes occur.. What happens to that data is usually up to the user.

Browsers are a different can of worms. Anything you do on an ISP's network is noted. No surprise here.
Old 27th June 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I want the nerds at MS to learn not just about 1's and 0's but about love, relationships and women so I frequent "those" kinda sites.

Purely for their benefit of course, not mine.
Old 27th June 2013, 02:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLTD View Post
Did you know: Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you and sending everything you do to MS... It's true OPEN the following (following applies to win7)

Start Menu
Accessories
System Tools
Task Scheduler

On the left you'll see "Task Scheduler Library" seems innocent enough right... Expand it the expand microsoft then expand Windows. As you go through the list some are innocent enough but there are several that are sending your use info to "who knows who" at MS. Just a few that I've disabled are "application experience" "customer experience improvement program" "location" "WPD"
I don't have something like that in XP.

Hide this!Advertise here!