diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you (win7) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/238133-your-computer-default-spying-you-win7.html)

TundraLTD 23rd June 2013 11:57 PM

Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you (win7)

Did you know: Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you and sending everything you do to MS... It's true OPEN the following (following applies to win7)

Start Menu
Accessories
System Tools
Task Scheduler

On the left you'll see "Task Scheduler Library" seems innocent enough right... Expand it the expand microsoft then expand Windows. As you go through the list some are innocent enough but there are several that are sending your use info to "who knows who" at MS. Just a few that I've disabled are "application experience" "customer experience improvement program" "location" "WPD"

tubelab.com 26th June 2013 12:26 PM

Microsoft and who else???? Just about everybody. Read the user agreement in from your email provider. This is cut and pasted from mine:

"Yahoo's automated systems scan and analyze all email, IM and other communications content.........We may customize some ads based on information sent to us by your computer and cookies."

Gathered from my computer at work:

IP Address: 10.199.00.00 (edited)

Browser: IE 8.0
Screen Resolution: 1280x1024
Color Depth: 32

Age Range: 56 - 65

csom 26th June 2013 12:50 PM

This is why I am awaiting ReactOS. But the development is so sloooowwww. :(

Cassiel 26th June 2013 12:52 PM

I know they're spying on me and I like it. Maybe they will learn something after all.

csom 26th June 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassiel (Post 3540052)
I know they're spying on me and I like it. Maybe they will learn something after all.

LOL :D

rdf 26th June 2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csom (Post 3540050)
This is why I am awaiting ReactOS. But the development is so sloooowwww. :(

Development of a binary compatible XP clone is unlikely to speed up at this stage of the game. A couple simple things that preserve some privacy are the SRWare Iron browser and Ghostery plug in. Some sites sell you a dozen times plus. Many resources are available for those wnating to go the extra mile: Threat Wire

tubelab.com 27th June 2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

I know they're spying on me and I like it.....Maybe they will learn something after all.
I work full time as an RF engineer by day, and blow up tubes in my free time. I have a 1TB hard drive nearly full of info downloaded as a result of Google searches. If they are watching they could learn all about some very old technology, and the state of the art in RF communications systems.

Despite the current MS VS Google commercials running on TV, Bing is totally useless for finding technical information, at least on my choice of topics. Google is my first choice, followed my Digikey and Mouser!

kevinkr 27th June 2013 01:31 PM

I no longer worry about it, and just try to take reasonable precautions not to leak absolutely everything about me.. OTOH who the hell is going to care about me except where crass commercial gain (or the potential for it) is involved.

I've found Bing to be generally inferior to Google on just about any topic I care to search about. Useless for tech stuff as George pointed out.

I use Ubuntu linux, XP, Win 7 and Android (Jelly Bean) and these OS collect some information on user experience, not to mention statistics, logs and application data when crashes occur.. What happens to that data is usually up to the user.

Browsers are a different can of worms. Anything you do on an ISP's network is noted. No surprise here.

Cal Weldon 27th June 2013 01:36 PM

I want the nerds at MS to learn not just about 1's and 0's but about love, relationships and women so I frequent "those" kinda sites. ;)

Purely for their benefit of course, not mine.

dirkwright 27th June 2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TundraLTD (Post 3536874)
Did you know: Your computer BY DEFAULT is spying on you and sending everything you do to MS... It's true OPEN the following (following applies to win7)

Start Menu
Accessories
System Tools
Task Scheduler

On the left you'll see "Task Scheduler Library" seems innocent enough right... Expand it the expand microsoft then expand Windows. As you go through the list some are innocent enough but there are several that are sending your use info to "who knows who" at MS. Just a few that I've disabled are "application experience" "customer experience improvement program" "location" "WPD"

I don't have something like that in XP.