The problem with "know-how". - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The problem with "know-how".

The problem with "know-how".

There is a theory explaining the difference in sounding tube and modern amps, and consequently also in acoustics and signal sources. There are some set of supporting facts in the same areas. There is a current link these facts with the existing theory of sound reinforcement and reproduction. There is a graphic display. But in general it is clear that more work is required. Of course, it would be interesting to read for everyone, but it will deny, precedence, and other things. No write -too bad. Sit and think on their own. Question relates to possible priorities, which could get the big players of the common market. Not sure now of anyone leaking information is protected, but big companies here easier. How to deal with the "know how"?

Has anyone experienced?

P.S I have experience of patenting and the assessment of actions as well as the possible applications perspectives.In this case, it is not the solution.

Last edited by Sergey A; 19th June 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A
There is a theory explaining the difference in sounding tube and modern amps, and consequently also in acoustics and signal sources.
Is there? Are you going to tell us what it is, or is it a secret?
Old 19th June 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
...Nice...LOL

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 19th June 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Everything new is old again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Plenty of theories. Barbour, E. (1998) "The Cool Sound of Tubes" Spectrum, IEEE, 35(8), 24-35 covered the most sane one: underlying distortion levels.

In summary
"...the triode would continue to enjoy some advantages over the semiconductors--and the pentode, for that matter."

This allows lower levels of feed back.

And as I've already quoted him twice this week, let's go back to where this started (pre transitor), Crowhurst, N. H., 1957 Some Defects in Amplifier Performance Not Covered by Standard Specifications JAES 5(4).

Which, to paraphrase, says: adding feedback loops around non-linearities creates "new sounds" and "program modulated, high frequency "noise""
Old 19th June 2013, 09:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Reading the works of Marshall, Gilbert's Leach, Cordell, Self, and so on, as well as looking at the Audio shows, it becomes clear that all is not so funny

The work-not theory, and have a simple explanation in my. But the question is not about that.

Last edited by Sergey A; 19th June 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 19th June 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default which solid state amplifiers should one listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A View Post
.. all is not so funny
Well, I listen to a JLH most days.

On my list of solid state amps to listen to are:
  • ME Sound
  • Le Monstre (Jean Hiraga)
  • AKSA (Hugh Dean)
  • Musical Fidelity A1
  • Zues (Susan Parker)
  • R.E. Designs LNPA-150

All of these have been listed as "not your usual silicon AB amp" or "sounds like a good valve amp" by more than one person. Any other candidates?

I should add Papa Nelson Pass's amps to this list, I've heard and built a few Zen style amps (and a Pass Aleph) and it's probably time to return one to the stable.

Along with favorite, personal amps by Doug Self and Marshall Leach. But as I've been watching the progress of Hugh Dean along the line of "linearity first" for many years that's where my next AB amp will come.
Old 19th June 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

All of These work, you are commendable, but can you make the measured feature which would be uniquely described them? And then consider only differences?
I think hardly. Now there is no problem in technology solutions.
JLH is very fortunate, but in our economical time cannot be used. especially in mobile devices.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All of These work, you are commendable, but can you make the measured feature which would be uniquely described them? And then consider only differences? .
Sorry I still need to listen to all of them - this is not something I've managed to do yet.

Quote:
..in mobile devices.
Well then we're off in Class D. Which is another problem space all together.

I don't think anyone knows what the problems/answers for them are yet
Old 19th June 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well,

Can you tell the difference with an old valve amp against a trainsistor or fet amp if you can't see it..I have found that sometimes a tube amp can sound like an old "not very good" transistor amp it depends on a lot of factors..

Can you tell the difference between a fet stage driving an output Tx and a tube amp?

Even Tim De paravicini said he made a FET version of his high end amp and said it was just as good. I think it was the Yoshino..

But then again whats the point of a SS amp that sounds like a tube amp (except for guitar) if most people are saying the valve is adding distortion..Perhaps different distortion to a transistor circuit..

The same is true for both types with types of PSU (choke or other)..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 19th June 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I should add,

If this is just a case of "Shaping the sound with filters" then why can't you just flick a software switch and have utopia<<I haven't seen it yet because the tube circuit is reactive not just passive..And yes its all about the output Tx<<well no it isn't because OTL can sound just as good if not better..
The driving force for the tube will become secondary over time as energy becomes more expensive.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 19th June 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!