The problem with "know-how". - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 08:35 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

I was going to ask Douglas Self about the use of his blameless amps as a buffer . Sort of ties in with what you say . I suspect inverting buffer will work ? Might it tell us something useful ?

I notice that op amps that work well as buffers don't seem to me to be great at gains of lets say 2 to 10 . Above that they are great . At gain of 50 rather good . All by ear . Seems logical that they might be optimized for unity gain and that has consequences . At gain of 1 they seem not to have a sound .
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:29 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I notice that op amps that work well as buffers don't seem to me to be great at gains of lets say 2 to 10 . Above that they are great . At gain of 50 rather good . All by ear . Seems logical that they might be optimized for unity gain and that has consequences . At gain of 1 they seem not to have a sound .
I am not aware of any technique to 'optimize them for gain of 1', whatever that means. I do know that some opamps are decompensated for gains above unity, to increase the available loop gain and hence the available feedback at higher gains.

jan
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:55 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
I believe that people like Bruno Putzeys and Bob Codell have shown that with contemporary amplifiers this is no longer the case
Thanks for two new names on the hunt for people moving forward. Found lots of new things to read.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:12 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I was going to ask Douglas Self about the use of his blameless amps as a buffer . Sort of ties in with what you say . I suspect inverting buffer will work ? Might it tell us something useful ?

Too it is correct. Didn't think with what it is connected?

To Jan, studying separate amplifiers, all always forget that a starting point of counting can be only temporary ratios in a signal yet not passing through the amplifier. Each link makes a certain contribution to change of temporary parameters and it doesn't pass completely.
Cordell and Self, too get to this trap, taking for a reference point the size of distortions. What price reaches decrease in distortions? Accuracy of performance of separate operations isn't connected with a signal transmission without distortions.
Baxandall too couldn't find direct link.

Last edited by Sergey A; 23rd June 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:50 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A View Post
Too it is correct. Didn't think with what it is connected?

To Jan, studying separate amplifiers, all always forget that a starting point of counting can be only temporary ratios in a signal yet not passing through the amplifier. Each link makes a certain contribution to change of temporary parameters and it doesn't pass completely.
Cordell and Self, too get to this trap, taking for a reference point the size of distortions. What price reaches decrease in distortions? Accuracy of performance of separate operations isn't connected with a signal transmission without distortions.
Baxandall too couldn't find direct link.
Hi Sergey,

Not sure I understand what your point is. Do you suggest that we should leave the non-linearities in the hope that they sound better? Thta's a valid reasoning - it has been shown again and again that people not necessarily prefer the cleanest 'wire with gain' amp.

Or do you suggest that making the amplifier more linear does somehow make it sound worse by definition? I have a problem imagining less accurate reproduction yet better sound? (Objectively speaking of course - subjective performance has nothing to do with technical performance unless supported by controlled testing results).

jan
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:13 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hello Jan, I think extent of influence of zones of synchronization of a signal and the amplifier is very poorly studied. For example - the moon doesn't come off the earth though force of an attraction of the sun is much more.
Therefore if zones of mutual synchronization of a signal and the amplifier are strongly carried in temporary space, there are distortions which we define in the known way. Their reduction at the expense of the speed of increase has restrictions.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:17 PM   #47
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

So far, I have never accepted the possibility that a goal for an audio reproduction system design should be anything other than the most-accurate reproduction, whether people preferred that sound or not. Maybe I will have to force myself to think about that again.

But even if it were true that people preferred something other than the most-accurate reproduction, and I wanted to provide what they prefer, my engineering approach might be to make the system as accurate as possible and then add mechanisms to introduce the "preferred" behaviors, whether it was upstream, downstream, or within the amplifier itself.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:26 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Earlier I too entirely relied on classical works. And my opinion didn't change, simply there were some factors which these works don't consider in initial parcels.
It leads to wrong general conclusions.

Last edited by Sergey A; 23rd June 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 05:17 PM   #49
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
But even if it were true that people preferred something other than the most-accurate reproduction...
You don't get out much, eh? I'm not talking audiophiles, I'm talking general public. The majority don't want accurate, the want good, cool, awesome, rockin!! They just want to enjoy it.
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:11 PM   #50
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe I was restricting my thoughts to audiophile types. I am not in the music-reproduction business. So I have the luxury of usually caring only about what I, myself, think about a system. But I can say that several of my and my son's hi-fi-nave friends who have listened to my system have enthusiastically volunteered the fact that they liked it more than anything else they had ever heard. Some of them never want to leave my listening seat. Of the very small sample, roughly one-third to one-half of them have had that reaction. Maybe some were just being overly polite. So, that agrees with your "majority don't want accuracy" but leaves a significant portion who probably do want it.

I still believe that the "good, cool, awesome, rockin", and all of the other possible types of baked-in goodness that please and thrill people, can and should come from the source, not the rest of the system. If nothing else, accurate reproduction by the rest of the system makes it more able to provide whatever it is that's preferred. i.e. "accurate" would be optimally versatile.

Hide this!Advertise here!