The problem with "know-how". - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2013, 04:23 PM   #31
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In the lounge you can talk about anything but religion and politics. However, there is little point in talking about something which you wish not to talk about. Otherwise it is like little children in the playground: "I know something you don't know, but I'm not going to tell you - so there!".
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:01 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Certainly I in a course of rules
Assume, what such answer is, can then you will be able to tell, what with it to make?

I like this-
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Brand.../Heritage.aspx

Last edited by Sergey A; 22nd June 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
The words are English, but the sentences?
read this: Bruno Putzeys r4 random rants, raves and ramblings

Less obvious forms [of disruptive behavior] are: failure or refusal to offer or respond to cogent arguments, making unwarranted (and usually indirect) accusations, proposing impossibly extreme opinions, personal attacks, polarising the discussion, misrepresenting dissenting opinion, emotive language and whining
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:14 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I am sorry that such arguments went to a course. The question was concrete, and discussion on abstract subjects wasn't included into my plans. Real offers aren't present. Let's finish on it. Yours faithfully.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:29 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A View Post
I am sorry that such arguments went to a course. The question was concrete, and discussion on abstract subjects wasn't included into my plans. Real offers aren't present. Let's finish on it. Yours faithfully.
no-one has the obligation to make the effort of understanding Google English. period.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:45 PM   #36
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Tubes and transistors sound exactly the same, anyway, if competently implemented.

But if you really want the old-fashioned "tube amp sound", just put some resistance in series with a transistor amp's output, to degrade it to that level.

?House of Fire?: Firebottles And Groove Tubes Versus Devices That Find Their Origins in Sand (Part 1) | Analog content from Electronic Design

Transistors, Tubes Sound The Same, It?s The Circuit Topologies That Differ | Analog content from Electronic Design
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:02 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Ad hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
Tubes and transistors sound exactly the same,
anyway, if competently implemented.
So far so good, noting that each has a different set of problems (impedence and aging in tubes, poorer distortion figures and voltage/temperature variable "constants" in transistors - according to the IEEE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
But if you really want the old-fashioned "tube amp sound", just put some resistance in series with a transistor amp's output, to degrade it to that level.
And then you miss the point entirely. That amounts to an "Ad hominem" attack on the device.
Which would be like me stating that: "to get that transistor sound, add some slew rate limiting inside your feedback loop."
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:43 AM   #38
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Haha. OK. Sorry. I was just paraphrasing from the end of the second article I linked. I suppose it was a bit naughty of me to just throw that out, here. (And I probably should have tried to explain what "old fashioned" meant. It's really not an attack on the device, if that is understood.)

If you read the articles, be sure to read the comments at the bottom. Some people who are regulars, here at diyaudio.com, made some pretty good points.

Last edited by gootee; 23rd June 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:09 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey A View Post
In a General sense , You are right. But in light of my recent findings it can be fixed. As You know , there is a difference in the old sound systems and new. Under its version of the theory, I got an explanation for this. Of course you can mock at my words , but it is. Most likely, many would understand and took my point of view , the problem is that I can't this reveal the essence of the solution . To me this situation repents dead end , why I asked the starting question. I'm also sure that many of you here very are smart , and would not want my departure from direct answers was misunderstood. With respect .
Good points . David Mate at SSL ( mixing desks ) had very good approximation to other companies sounds which could be switched in . I had thought from this what if the sound of a Marshall amp could be replicated using a resistor , blameless amplifier and digital syntheses of the Marshal amp ( at all levels ) .
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:19 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoglette View Post
Which, to paraphrase, says: adding feedback loops around non-linearities creates "new sounds" and "program modulated, high frequency "noise""
This was indeed often the case in that era, as the amplifiers were very nonlinear to begin with and had relatively low open loop gain, which made the available amount of feedback rather low.

I believe that people like Bruno Putzeys and Bob Codell have shown that with contemporary amplifiers this is no longer the case, and that 'there is no such thing as too much feedback' (withing the stability regime of course). Although there IS such a thing as too little feedback, leading indeed to 'new sounds'.

jan

Hide this!Advertise here!