The problem with "know-how". - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2013, 02:50 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

With auto-translator, I feel like a complete moron. . If you absolutely unreadable, please fix.
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:11 PM   #152
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
When they start in on techno and industrial, it gets much worse, no resemblance to anything created by humans.
Well, in that case DSP, plastic speakers and big transistor amp make sense for them. In terms of sound, economics and practicality, that should work for them.

Since I listen to a very different type of music, in a different circumstance - different technologies make sense for me.
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:16 PM   #153
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, you know me- guy with a guitar or four guys with stand-up bass, drums, sax, and piano. Hate that artificial crap with a passion, but I'm well aware that it's the vast majority these days.

Still, I'm not a big fan of paper cones.
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:53 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Well, in that case DSP, plastic speakers and big transistor amp make sense for them. In terms of sound, economics and practicality, that should work for them.

Since I listen to a very different type of music, in a different circumstance - different technologies make sense for me.

I was told that Techno just about justified beliefs in slew rates . To state my thoughts . Slew rates are by ear correct . It is the current required to drive a VAS rather than speed . Techno is thought to require double of other music . PA amps usually can give the power ratings continuously . Some class D chips for TV assume 10% ( Techno 33 % if comparing ) . I have often looked at class D and thought something is not right over class H . The claims of heat-sink mostly . One needs a switch-mode PSU to make the comparison so as to get optimum efficiency from H . For real life don't bother . The switch-mode will get you through compatibility regulations quicker and cheaply . Class D when used in PA is mostly about weight . Increasingly it is used . Some dislike D as repairs are often more costly . A lot of MOS FET PA amps only ever needed new outputs . Sometimes done on a gig . It was put them in and see if it works . A back up or two ready to use in the rack . C-Audio and HH come to mind .
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:19 PM   #155
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
....ever seen a Metallica or Guns'N'Roses guitar signal chain....nothing to do with natural instrument sounds !!!.
Don't remember seeing one directly, but I get your meaning. I do remember working a show with the band "Living Color." Vernon Reid had racks and racks of processing for his guitar. We asked him, "Hey Vernon, what's all that stuff do?" He said, "I don't know - they just give it to me and I play thru it. Sure looks cool!" And it did look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Still, I'm not a big fan of paper cones.
Yes, I know. And I'm not a big fan of plastic or metal cones. We pick what's least offensive to our own ears.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:25 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

If to draw small analogy that, now especially often music is formed in devices which are incorrectly constructed. And then is reproduced on other curve devices. As a result we have too most, as in case of a double translation from one language on another.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:15 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Don't remember seeing one directly, but I get your meaning. I do remember working a show with the band "Living Color." Vernon Reid had racks and racks of processing for his guitar. We asked him, "Hey Vernon, what's all that stuff do?" He said, "I don't know - they just give it to me and I play thru it. Sure looks cool!" And it did look cool.
Reminds me of this:

Bill Bailey - U2 Failure - Part Troll - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!