The problem with "know-how".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...most music is still made with metal strings & horns, wooden sounding boards, human voices and even tube amps for guitars.

How I wish that were true! When I foolishly allow the youngsters in the lab to choose the music, everything seems to be electronic keyboards, sampled and manipulated keyboards, electronic drums, voices that are doubled, frequency-adjusted... and that's the mainstream pop! When they start in on techno and industrial, it gets much worse, no resemblance to anything created by humans. That's when I pull rank and force them to bear the Old Man's mix.

(shakes fist and yells, "You kids! Get off my lawn!")

I have to admit that my paper cones and valves don't do precision bass with the edge that some modern music demands. It's not impossible, but an amp designed for that wouldn't excel at what valve amps are best at, so there'd be no point.

I hope to have a new house one day . I read years ago about a sub-sub woofer . I would use two and a width enhancement control . It looks to me there is a sweet spot with speakers where we could mix paper with the existing bass panel . I have a growing love of valve designs . Like single cylinder motorcycles they are not a complete disaster ( Norton ES2 and Manx ) . My love of valves is mostly engineering . They make my life more difficult . One almost equals them with a TDA 2030 ( big emphasis on almost ) .

Build an Infrasonic Subwoofer

I suspect my panel speakers are good for 50 Hz ( 48 x 19 inches ) . The crossover at 600 Hz as said before . To go from 5 Hz to 100 Hz with twin sub - subs might integrate OK espeailly if I have a width control to make the sub sub wider . Where digital DSP . Where not good in it's own right . Digital delay would be useful to get the bass to time with the mid range ( greater dynamics for no more power used ) . It might have a memory device to say how I like each recording . The delay at VLF might be considerable to the mid .

2N3055 would drive the sub sub as there is no bandwidth above 500 Hz . There is a bucket full of nice ones somewhere .

My new lady ( 4 years together ) took me to hear Poulenc the Gloria recently . Does she know God as I have never said I love this music ? That is the biggest hi fi upgrade a friend who can tolerate classical music . We met at a quiz and got 100 % right in the music section between us . She can not easily hear how hi fi is different . It seems to switch off her love of music to ask . She knows my hi fi is OK and that's good enough for her . Colleen also sings beautifully .

Sergey this is a book I recommend to read if learning English . It was banned from schools in about 1980 !!!! Audio engineers need this book . Colleen loves it . Martina loves it . The Author was much criticized for terrible use of English . She used a sort of data compression so as not to alienate the children . I never mastered English , it's her fault . It would make a remarkable film . If understood it is far more than Harry Potter . The data in the books needs decompressing .

The Faraway Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
How I wish that were true! When I foolishly allow the youngsters in the lab to choose the music, everything seems to be electronic keyboards, sampled and manipulated keyboards, electronic drums, voices that are doubled, frequency-adjusted... and that's the mainstream pop! When they start in on techno and industrial, it gets much worse, no resemblance to anything created by humans. That's when I pull rank and force them to bear the Old Man's mix.

(shakes fist and yells, "You kids! Get off my lawn!")

I always had kids working for me . Basically it meant I could do nothing all day long . One is a hi fi buddy now and we build stuff . My love of sampled stuff came from them working for me .

808 State - Pacific State - YouTube

There was one kid who worked for me called Josh . He said to me one day " My cousin is a musician , his music is like the weird stuff you like " he insisted it was unlikely I knew him . Ry Cooder . Josh had zero interesting in music nor hi fi . He seemed a bit lost and got the job because he seemed unhappy . The equipment sold itself and he was reliable at helping people choose . I just repaired and built stuff as my job . I was Wikipedia when needed . In Oxford most people know everything . One has to have a different way of knowing things for them . Like how music works would be one . It wouldn't need to be correct . Just that you tried .

I had to make the stuff we sold bomb proof because my staff blew things up . Those kids taught me more than I taught them . All have succeeded in life . Josh makes films . It was a sort of finishing school where the master was lazy but I hope cared . The kids taught me I love Pizza Hut pizza with extra anchovies and 1000 % normal amount of fresh green chillies . It was across the road from us and was our special . We got that if we worked hard . Guess what , we always did . In 1997 the parking got bad . We could not continue . If I had had some money I would have kept it going . We did 50 years and created amongst other things SSL the mixing desk people . He was one of ours before my time . In fact he was a Saturday boy . We always had tons of components and it was understood one could have a few . It would be now like Aladdin's cave .

OK . It is about some very sad kids who become poor and have a new life with their mother in the country . There is a strange tree that grows different fruit depending on how if the tree feels . At the top of the tree different lands appear . Some are dangerous .

Colleen , Martina and I all understand Enchantment . Music has it . Beethoven live for example . Not enchanting , enchantment . A degree of spiritual magic . Corfu has it .

ОК. Речь идет о некоторых очень грустно дети, которые становятся бедными и имеют новую жизнь со своей матерью в стране. Существует странное дерево, которое растет различных фруктов в зависимости от того, как если дерево чувствует. В верхней части дерева разных землях появляются. Некоторые из них опасны.

Коллин, Мартина и я все понимаю Чары. Музыка имеет его. Бетховен жить например. Не очаровательные, чары.Степень духовной магии. Корфу имеет его. Обе версии русского фильма Solaris также (версия для США). Когда женщина, которую он любит возвращается к жизни с помощью чар

Last edited:
Then you will like it
93, year when I wanted to make the electronic book (on Z80 the processor and the monochrome display on liquid crystals), but it didn't develop, all had no time for it.

I can't insert the link, find the movie " Стрелец неприкаянный" 93years

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When they start in on techno and industrial, it gets much worse, no resemblance to anything created by humans.
Well, in that case DSP, plastic speakers and big transistor amp make sense for them. In terms of sound, economics and practicality, that should work for them.

Since I listen to a very different type of music, in a different circumstance - different technologies make sense for me.

Well, in that case DSP, plastic speakers and big transistor amp make sense for them. In terms of sound, economics and practicality, that should work for them.

Since I listen to a very different type of music, in a different circumstance - different technologies make sense for me.

I was told that Techno just about justified beliefs in slew rates . To state my thoughts . Slew rates are by ear correct . It is the current required to drive a VAS rather than speed . Techno is thought to require double of other music . PA amps usually can give the power ratings continuously . Some class D chips for TV assume 10% ( Techno 33 % if comparing ) . I have often looked at class D and thought something is not right over class H . The claims of heat-sink mostly . One needs a switch-mode PSU to make the comparison so as to get optimum efficiency from H . For real life don't bother . The switch-mode will get you through compatibility regulations quicker and cheaply . Class D when used in PA is mostly about weight . Increasingly it is used . Some dislike D as repairs are often more costly . A lot of MOS FET PA amps only ever needed new outputs . Sometimes done on a gig . It was put them in and see if it works . A back up or two ready to use in the rack . C-Audio and HH come to mind .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
....ever seen a Metallica or Guns'N'Roses guitar signal chain....nothing to do with natural instrument sounds !!!.
Don't remember seeing one directly, but I get your meaning. I do remember working a show with the band "Living Color." Vernon Reid had racks and racks of processing for his guitar. We asked him, "Hey Vernon, what's all that stuff do?" He said, "I don't know - they just give it to me and I play thru it. Sure looks cool!" And it did look cool. :D

Still, I'm not a big fan of paper cones.
Yes, I know. And I'm not a big fan of plastic or metal cones. We pick what's least offensive to our own ears.

Don't remember seeing one directly, but I get your meaning. I do remember working a show with the band "Living Color." Vernon Reid had racks and racks of processing for his guitar. We asked him, "Hey Vernon, what's all that stuff do?" He said, "I don't know - they just give it to me and I play thru it. Sure looks cool!" And it did look cool. :D

Reminds me of this:

Bill Bailey - U2 Failure - Part Troll - YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.