Looks like MP3s might be starting to not be so popular - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looks like MP3s might be starting to not be so popular

Thought you guys might like this article.

BBC - Culture - Better sound: Music?s new big business
Old 18th May 2013, 02:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Alas, too late for my failing ears.
Old 18th May 2013, 03:44 AM   #3
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the author is mistaking the effects of lossy (mp3) encoding with hypercompression (the Loudness Wars - volume level compression and actual clipping, vs. psychoacoustic data reduction). They both contribute to bad sound, but hypercompression seems to be the worse culprit in the last decade or so. The mention of a Michael Jackson track from CD suggests to me it's from an older CD mastered earlier in the increasingly loud hypercompression curve of the last two decades. Having 24-bit 96ksps recordings of recently mastered pop recordings won't be much of an improvement over mp3's.
Old 18th May 2013, 04:21 AM   #4
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

That is one of the most prevalent confusions these days: data compression vs dynamics compression. Completely unrelated, but a lot of people seem to think they are the same thing.
Old 18th May 2013, 05:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe, they are the same thing, because they are the product of the same time. It's a matter of culture and the techy side which appeals to us is of limited relevance to others.
Of course, talking about partying and playing loud puts the system under stress and we are part of it and as 'cultural beings' we may find that something's wrong and it's not what it should or it used to be.
In music reproduction, what we hear is the processment so the machines should give the natural touch to meet our senses. Everything that differs from natural sound brings something unreal that our senses regret firmly.
If that happens 1/10th of a microsecond each time or it is spread all over the
'song' it doesn't matter, we still find that there is something wrong. Then we can put our 'defence' mode on or ignore it....
Old 18th May 2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Why MP3 should start to not be so popular? We all have already know that MP3 has a limitation soundwise, and we do have had options. I think what we need to stop MP3 popularity is a low cost universal player for better format (whatever it is). Once this player is available, everyone will move.
Old 18th May 2013, 05:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Stylus & groove: What else ?
Old 18th May 2013, 05:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've been downloading nothing but flac, m4a, 256k & 320k mp3 for years now.
Maybe because I don't really keep up with the pop culture, the whole article seemed rather contrived to me.
Old 18th May 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I clicked on the link: It says
Quote:
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. You can find out more about BBC Worldwide and its digital activities at BBC Worldwide.
So you can see for free something I can't see, yet I pay for the BBC through my licence fee. That is what happens when you allow bean counters to run a broadcaster.
Old 18th May 2013, 09:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Why MP3 should start to not be so popular? We all have already know that MP3 has a limitation soundwise, and we do have had options. I think what we need to stop MP3 popularity is a low cost universal player for better format (whatever it is). Once this player is available, everyone will move.
My 5 year old ipod plays anything from lo rez mp3 to cd-quality AIFFs and WAVs.
By now its case is cracked and the display and controls don't function anymore but it still works fine when hooked up to my car radio.

Hide this!Advertise here!