radio shack comercial - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2013, 07:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default radio shack comercial

have to see it.

RadioShack #UWANTIT Commercial -

Last edited by tomtt; 2nd May 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So that radio has a dual purpose? Very clever.

30 years ago, RS was a respectable store. Now it's full of absolute junk. I go there to buy electronic parts sometimes, and they always try to sell me a cellphone or some other garbage. And there is never anyone there that has the slightest clue about the parts. It's such a lowbrow store.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's actually difficult to even buy anything there. The employees are too busy explaining the latest mobile phone plan to glassy-eyed customers to bother to ring up your purchase.. I think RS has tried, in recent years, to keep a decent stock of parts. At one point it looked like they would drop them altogether in favor of phones, computers and toys.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I don't even go to my local store anymore.
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, but maybe they have sexy babes with that erotic looking Beats thing there now.
Or maybe not.....
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I like the #1 comment - straight to the point.
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
It's actually difficult to even buy anything there. The employees are too busy explaining the latest mobile phone plan to glassy-eyed customers to bother to ring up your purchase.. I think RS has tried, in recent years, to keep a decent stock of parts. At one point it looked like they would drop them altogether in favor of phones, computers and toys.
I was told by one of the local RS store managers that RS has made a commitment to catering to hobbiests again. That's how the store started in the first place. In the 50s and early-mid 60s, there were a lot of ametuer electronics hobbiests.

He said that some stores hardly sell any, but that they fly off the shelves in his store. To his credit, he keeps the parts bins well stocked.

But no store I have been to have any employees with a clue about the parts. They sure know their cellphones, though.

At one time, RS only hired college grads as sales personnel. I find it ironic that you need a college education to sell cellphones and dual purpose radios.

Some of the parts are pretty good, although they are kind of expensive. It's the instant gratification that keeps me going back.
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I guess we are all to old to "Get" the commercial and we are not the intended demographic. Apparently the commercial is a mockery of a video by the son of Alan Thicke. If we were young and relevant it would surely make us want to head to RadioShack. I agree that the demise of Radio Shack has been hard to watch. It is especially true for me because my wife works at RadioShack headquarters in Ft. Worth. We recently upgraded our phones and decided to do so at the Shack. It turned out to be a 3 hour ordeal reminiscent of buying a car. As bewildered as I am that RadioShack's doors are still open, the inside word seems more promising than previous attempts at restructuring. I have a hunch that the Shack is slowly integrating Apple products so that in the future every Shack location will be an Apple Store. AppleShack if you will. That's my take and I am sticking to it. I have to though. I am a shareholder.
Old 3rd May 2013, 02:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Down Under Upside....

In Aus we have historically had 'Radio shack', 'Dick Smith Electronics', 'Jaycar' and 'Altronics' stores to cater to the electronics enthusiast.
RS and DSE are nowadays just 'box' resellers and the counter hands are typically young noddys with zero technical knowledge.
Thankfully the other two, although stocking all manner of 'box' and 'gadget' products continue to cater for the 'hobbyist', especially Altronics who do a lot of OEM manufacturer supply.
So things are not so bad here, pretty good, actually.

Dan.

Altronics - Your One Stop Audio Visual & Electronics Supplier

PS - I like the RS commercial , but I would still never buy anything Dr Dre...hyped junk in my experience. Logitech gets my approval every time.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 3rd May 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
but I would still never buy anything Dr Dre...hyped junk in my experience.
I do nerdy electronic stuff for a couple of local DJs. They both sung the praises of Dr. Dre headphones (although neither one uses them for their gigs). So I auditioned them. They are absolutely the worst headphones possible. They sound like those rolling ghetto boomboxes with the trunk lid rattling off the hinges. Boomy bass, garbled mids, ridiculously overboosted and raspy highs! And $300 to boot. Now I know why they don't use them for their gigs; you can't hear anything through them.

Hide this!Advertise here!