Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it on the internet, so it must be true....

Dan.

"There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war except its ending."

Still attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but actually written by the writers of Star Trek, circa mid-sixties, for a "Lincoln" character. "The Savage Curtain".

___________________________________________________Rick............

The one I would like to hear is that by Backes & Muller - these people "get" it, this gives a bit of a flavour of where they're at ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONIAX30A9H0
Hmmm, just about any speaker can do this kind of programme acceptably....play some AccaDacca at concert level and I'll tell you what I think ;).
Also, the recording is inverted polarity.

Dan.

You're listening to different aspects of the material than what I am - I listen to the "little" things, not the obvious stuff - the tiny details are where the real information is, one is looking for markers for how a system handles elements in the material, which allows one to extrapolate as to how almost any recording will behave ...

Absolutely hilarious, Dan(!!!) - you mentioned AC/DC playback, and some time ago I found a low cost system which did an excellent job of replaying a track of theirs, nicely recorded - and I was going to point to it - and the sound has been pulled!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nGr3u6iZkg ...

The quality was "too good" - normally a system playing this sort of music sounds pretty crappy, no-one could care less about copyright, etc ... but this sounded too close to a direct rip, so they've lopped the audio off ... :D

More so I meant music with balls, big balls instead of that prissy stuff on the clip you linked to, and oh so common in audiophile demos.
AC/DC recordings are not the final word, but they are pretty good considering the age and style of music, and the acoustic levels they played at.
Their recordings are good for sorting the men from the boys....if a system can do AccaDacca properly, it can play just about anything.
Their tuning is clean musical blues tuning, so any system discords produced stick out.

Take a listen to 'Live Wire'.
There is a guitar feeding in the back ground that continues for half the song...on a good system it's right there, almost touchable, on a lesser system it gets buried and totally lost amongst intermods and other maskings.

I have worked an AC/DC show and had to stay during roadie sound check...that taught me a few things.
40kW+ of Amcron amps just for fold back and side fills didn't go to waste !.

Dan.

Last edited:
Fair enough. And, I totally agree with you about their recordings - excellent material; only trouble, it's too well recorded, :p ! That is, I look for dodgy recordings which the system has a harder time with, trying to draw out the musical content - AC/DC is not such a challenge! Ten years ago, I was running their albums at dance floor levels, no prob's!

Just recently I was running "Stiff Upper Lip" through the Aldi TV - not too bad, subjectively plenty of guts, the problem there was the bass guitar content was too strong for the small speakers in the TV - meaning a limit on loudness possible ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, it is quite funny - especially as it was always the 'flat earthers' who denied what had been known for centuries by science.
At least the Flat Earth Society set out to test and prove their claims. And they actually did so more than once - quite successfully! Many tests and experiments were carried out in the 19th and early 20th centuries in England and the U.S.

I replicated some of those experiments in England, with interesting results. That may have been what got me kicked out of the society. :( (yes, really)

Selling audio snake oil is immune from tests and proof. All that really matters is a good story.

Take a listen to 'Live Wire'.
There is a guitar feeding in the back ground that continues for half the song...on a good system it's right there, almost touchable, on a lesser system it gets buried and totally lost amongst intermods and other maskings.
Yes ... but this laptop at the moment is very marginal on sound - though, still OK enough to remind me that the band always put down good drum sounds; I would run it at pulverising volumes, and see whether the cymbals still come through crystal clear ...

Yes ... but this laptop at the moment is very marginal on sound - though, still OK enough to remind me that the band always put down good drum sounds; I would run it at pulverising volumes, and see whether the cymbals still come through crystal clear ...
It's time you set up a proper system....1'' speakers just don't cut it.;).
That said I need to cook up a preamp with balanced out.
I am awaiting few eBay bits to arrive and then it's game on.

Dan.

Thought of you Frank, last night I was watching (sort of half watching) a fairly ordinary cops vs. druggies movie on SPIKE when out of the blue I heard sirens out the window, way to the left, and going behind my head. It was those cheap TV speakers on my Philips and those tricky THX people. :D

10-worlds-most-expensive-loudspeakers
Some days I can stand only so much BS....pffft, tuggers.
Hell, for the price of this pretentiousness/preciousness I could buy a pretty good PA, fly the Rolling Stones in to play for a week(band of your choice), and then hire out the PA when I'm done partying.

Dan.

I love the tasteless trashy decor in some of the setups. We used to call it OK :rolleyes: "pee-pee elegant".

It's time you set up a proper system....1'' speakers just don't cut it.;).
That said I need to cook up a preamp with balanced out.
I am awaiting few eBay bits to arrive and then it's game on.

Dan.
You're right ... my wife is complaining bitterly at the moment, that we don't have good sound around, nagging me on it, :D. Trouble is, it requires a burst of energy to make it happen ... and that's the tricky bit ... :rolleyes:.

This laptop does do OK - after major, major trashing it settles down; had an organ piece running full bore on it a day or so ago, and my wife was quite impressed - no real volume, but all the bits of the sound were there. However, next day, it sounds like shite again - give it away, :mad: ...

It might sound bizarre, but because you know you can make the good sound happen if you just go through all the right steps, then this takes the edge of wanting to do it - it's a case of that challenge no longer being there, you need a bigger hurdle to climb, to provide the impetus ..

Thought of you Frank, last night I was watching (sort of half watching) a fairly ordinary cops vs. druggies movie on SPIKE when out of the blue I heard sirens out the window, way to the left, and going behind my head. It was those cheap TV speakers on my Philips and those tricky THX people. :D
Yep, it's all about the illusion - and it's remarkable how impressive it can get, if the right steps are taken ... :).

Status
Not open for further replies.