Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most compression is done with a soft knee, as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression; so it's not obvious peak limiting in most cases. It can be quite "cleverly" done, as in Adele 21 album: if you look at the waveform at any point it always looks quite reasonable, yet the impact of the sound, subjectively, is very overbearing.

If one can work out where the soft knee was put in, as a last stage after the final mix, then the compression can be effectively reversed - the "damage" can undone to a large degree ...

What if the artist wanted it to sound this way?
Not every painter is a Robert Bateman- attempting absolute mimicry.
Compression for typical playback is a good thing, they used to call it gain riding in the studios, didn't they?
Ever hear a live Ludwig drumkit in the same venue as an unamplified piano, or guitar?
Be careful of undoing the artist's or recording engineers intent : )

Only talking about where it is "extreme", as in many current pop efforts - this is to "rescue" the recording so that one can listen to it without feeling emotionally wrung out by the end of the track; I've had a couple of successes, where it probably would not be obvious that I've fiddled with it.

Attempting to undone the compression of the capture of a single instrument, say a drum kit - probably done on multiple tracks, anyway - would be close to impossible at the moment.

Only talking about where it is "extreme", as in many current pop efforts - this is to "rescue" the recording so that one can listen to it without feeling emotionally wrung out by the end of the track; I've had a couple of successes, where it probably would not be obvious that I've fiddled with it.

Attempting to undone the compression of the capture of a single instrument, say a drum kit - probably done on multiple tracks, anyway - would be close to impossible at the moment.

Just noticed your signature- so are you a fan of Boothroyd-Stuart technology?

Only connection I see is the word Meridian, :D - as regards that company, more often than not the sound from their gear has not done anything for me on the day. I suspect their current active speakers would be quite competent - but an older model of such was quite a disappointment to hear ...

Perhaps compression is the wrong word for turning up the volume and appying peak limiting, though it is a form of compression and quite distortive.

Limiting is just a specific type of dynamic compression just like a square is a specific type of rectangle.
You can use virtually any compressor as a limiter but not every limiter as a general compressor.
In the olden days compressor were known as 'limiting amplifiers', set the compression ratio to infinite and you have a peak limiter.

What if the artist wanted it to sound this way?
Not every painter is a Robert Bateman- attempting absolute mimicry.
Compression for typical playback is a good thing, they used to call it gain riding in the studios, didn't they?
Ever hear a live Ludwig drumkit in the same venue as an unamplified piano, or guitar?
Be careful of undoing the artist's or recording engineers intent : )

Come to think of it, that's very true. Case in point: The Nylons.

They are/were an acapella group whose vocals were highly processed, but sounded excellent.

I used to be that way, Jacco, but I am not allowed to be that way anymore, and so I have worked at being 'diplomatic' without giving in.
Personally, I believe in virtually everything that I have said for the last dozen years or more. Of course, I can make mistakes, like anyone else, but I have always been honest in my intentions. I really love the discipline of making quality audio, and have for the last 50 years. This 'sales' business is completely foreign to my personal quest, although I am accused of it. I just want to make better audio quality, and give away what I have found 'works' to others. Unfortunately, I can't give my latest designs away, because that is what I earn royalties from that supplements my modest social security check, but it must be understood that the 'ideas' behind my design approach are what is really important, not the specific circuit diagram, and I have tried to give them away here, with limited success.
Now, that being said, are my critics right that what I recommend is irrelevant because 'scientific testing' shows that very little really matters in linear design and that the differences are essentially an 'illusion' promoted by money grubbing hucksters trying to sell you an expensive piece of 'hot air', that does no better sonically than a piece of gear made by large volume manufacturers, at the lowest possible price?
I think that there is usually a significant difference sonically between hi end and mid fi, and I trust my own ears and experience in noting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.