Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Measurements don't strictly have to be in numerical form but otherwise this is fair. In audio, the problem is not measuring...it is knowing what to measure. Even when popular measures are found to have poor correlation with sound quality they continue to be promoted. Unfortunately, and this applies to all things, the tendency is to measure what is easiest to measure and leave it at that.

That's also a cop out to make up whatever you want, because hey, it's all useless. There's also the tendency to discredit anything that is incongruous with one's own world view.

Come back and let's talk when you find a *strongly* correlated measure. And, more importantly, a good definition of sound quality. Glass houses and all that.

Correlation to measurements are hard if we are speaking of preferences. How to know the HD I like, for example... of course, if one prefers the absence of distortions, is easier; will be supported easily by measurements without further interpretation.
For "distortion preferring" people, trouble is, is that in the future the preference changes, and perhaps the desire for messing eternally with combinations ends.

Last edited:
That's also a cop out to make up whatever you want, because hey, it's all useless. There's also the tendency to discredit anything that is incongruous with one's own world view.
Too true.
Come back and let's talk when you find a *strongly* correlated measure. And, more importantly, a good definition of sound quality. Glass houses and all that.
You assume I haven't. :cool:

Originally Posted by scott wurcer
I have to differ on that science has always been common sense to me. There is a need for ritual and mystery but when I picked up a piece of petrified wood while some claimed everything was <6000 yr. old. It made no sense to me even at 6 yr. old.

Scott, you are at one extreme end of the bell ;-)
You are lots of things, but not an average guy. Sorry about that.

Jan
(post 11671)

I just remembered that.
For me Scott is not a exception. For he science is the the thing that resonates with the "believing mind sector" (is your faith)! ;) Well, Scott, only you can say if is true or not, is a entirely personal thing...

more about believing...
Some audiophile friends I have really believe in all claims they said.... but sometimes I need to be a politician in certain environments and not correct them :mad::rolleyes: (this not helps about educating them, but I least I avoid hard fights :p ) so one alone will never save the world, and those people don't want to be corrected...

Of course, for close friends I don't mind to talk all my audio prejudices, preferences and certain "truths"

Last edited:
Regarding measurements and sound quality, there is the GedLee metric, although it hasn't come into common use.

Earl Geddes has said more than once to the effect that THD is pretty useless.

However, we do know how to take an extensive variety of measurements, maybe enough to correlate with sound quality. A problem remains that most people are not equipped to make such measurements, so it is not readily possible for them to find out what measurements correlate with what they do and don't like.

THD is useless as a single number.

On the other hand, harmonic distortion as presented by many free analysis tools (such as ARTA, Visual Analyzer, etc) and a PC with a sound card can be very enlightening.

Since the programs are available at no cost, and the prerequisite PC with sound card is available to virtually everyone, there is no excuse not to investigate and enlighten one self about the relationship of distortion to perceived sound.

Not everybody has one notch filter, much less a set of them for more than one frequency. Or a low distortion oscillator. Some measurements can be made with only a sound card and some software, but not for low level distortion similar to professional equipment.

There may also be an issue with residual distortion in a sound card, depending.

Last edited:
No mark, but the soundcards today and the available software are probably as good as a lot of if not most professional equipment in the 70s.

If you are trying to find the noise floor, distortion down to 0.001% etc then notch filters and other equipment may be necessary.

A basic 24bit 96K sound card can go a long way in displaying distortion harmonics, IMD, etc.

So, what if I want to measure my DAC like Stereophile does? How do I do that with my sound card?

I ask because there are a number of DAC projects, GB's, mods, and stuff going here in the forum. People say they sound like this or that, but nobody ever posts detailed measurements so we can see what is different.

Also, nobody shows the composite distortion of their preamp and amp working together, which could be different than the sum of the individual measurements.

Or how about what different power cords do or don't actually do?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
With a 24bit soundcard I measure THD down to 0.0003%.
This includes the low THD sine wave generator.
On the other hand a notch filter of similar resolution should yield an attenuation in the range of 120dB.
And an appropriate low THD sine wave generator as well.
Think of that!

But measuring a 24bit DAC with a 24bit soundcard (with 18..20 valid bits) - no way!

Last edited:
If the results of the distortion of a preamp and amp is not the sum of the individual measurements, then you have a non-linear system.

On the other hand, if you accept that you can't hear below -80dB (ref 1Vrms), then the available sound cards will probably perform adequately for measuring line amps, power amps, etc.

If you want to go much beyond 110dB s/n you will probably have to go pro equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.