Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
My living room isn't all that large, about 13×25×8'.
After several years, I just gave up on having a great sounding 7.1 surround sysyem, which could keep me happy with music, too.

Using the best 2 speakers I could come up with, without being out of my idea of reasonably priced, I find I'm better off with out the other 5 speakers, and a subwoofer.

Even using identical satellites all around, their timbre never seemed matched, due to the way they reacted to different room placements.

Sinking the overall speaker budget into 2 quite good speakers, combined with on screen cues, I never really miss the extra channels.

Maybe the best decoders are in our heads?

I've been too lazy to take down the wall mounted KEFs, and the homemade 3 channel Tannoy sound bar is still the shelf my T.V. sits on; visitors believe they hear overhead flybys in sci fi or fantasy films.

So now I think the onscreen images are a powerful suggestor to having us process surround information.

Anyone else enjoy their movies as much, or more, with 2 really full range speakers?
I enjoy it.
I use 2 channels for everything.

Do you control the recording process? I don't.

No just that the THX tricks for encoding fake rear channels in two channels are enough for me. Have you ever been to a demo? Bob adams demoed for me a couple of op-amps, R's, C's, and a pot that could put a voice almost anywhere in 360 degrees with two channels. Besides home theater induces ennui for me.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I need a centre channel for dialogue. If I turn up the film loud enough to hear what people are saying, the FX is rediculously overpowered, even with the TV set to enhance vocals. And the explosions trip the overly sensitive protection circuit on the 'temporary' amp that has been temporary for 2 years now.

Once I get the miniDSP in and commissioned it should be easy enough to program that in so that it gets over things.

Control vs Kaos

I enjoy 5-channel reproduction for movies, plus a sub under the floor. Do you control the recording process? I don't.

Sometimes I think it's hard to get home theatre right.
I laughed out loud, several years ago, while reading an article on a custom installation.
A test run was going, featuring the movie, The Doors.
The client told the installers to bring up the rear channels, 3 or 4 db.
The installer replied that evey level was calibrated correctly.
The client replied, I'm Oliver Stone, and I made this movie. The rear channels need 3 or 4 db to sound the way it was mixed.
Now, THAT'S controlling the process.
I find it diffcult to get the best out of 2 speakers in a room.
I just couldn't get convincing sound out of each of 7 identical satellites in my room, and I am guessing that's why I prefer 2 channel.
A far easier thing to set up, placement wise, for accurate playback to the listening positions.
With pink noise, in my symmetrically setup 7.1 , each speaker didn't quite timbre match, due to interacting with the room from different locations.
Subliminally, maybe this was a distraction from suspending disbelief for films.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Having read Earl Geddes book (available for free) on building a home theatre room I concur that it's non trivial when you have to work with a living space. As I can't even fit the speakers in my room, let alone optimise I'll be happy with ignorance :)

Btw don't believe the Oliver Stone story, but it's a nice story :)

Having read Earl Geddes book (available for free) on building a home theatre room I concur that it's non trivial when you have to work with a living space. As I can't even fit the speakers in my room, let alone optimise I'll be happy with ignorance :)

Btw don't believe the Oliver Stone story, but it's a nice story :)

Found it with Google.
Sound and Vision
April 4 2007
Oliver Stone's radical cinema.
I didn't recall it verbatim, but pretty much correctly. Read it if you choose.

guess he was more concerned with the "experience"

than with the visual, etc, which he at least "shot", himself

thank god for the sound man, or we all would have had a "subpar" experience.
or did we, anyway.

a little sparcasm [sic sic] pointed at the above would sit fine with me.
apologies for my entries elsewhere on the site,
if any were taken the wrong way,
Quard

guess he was more concerned with the "experience"

than with the visual, etc, which he at least "shot", himself

thank god for the sound man, or we all would have had a "subpar" experience.
or did we, anyway.

a little sparcasm [sic sic] pointed at the above would sit fine with me.
apologies for my entries elsewhere on the site,
if any were taken the wrong way,
Quard

Offence wasn't possible.
I hadn't read your entries, as I am spectacularly slow at phone typing.
😀

Should be fine, as long as you cryo it first --
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That picture reminds me of my childhood , i spent many hours doing ' experiments '
with electricity , many of which involved hammering various objects into wall sockets and connecting them to my toys attempting to ' bring them to life ' .
I blame my parents for allowing me to watch Hammer horror films :D
I did have several shocks but i figured they would eventually turn me into some sort of super hero with awesome powers so it didn't deter me.
My experiments came to an abrupt end when my Mother caught me wiring my 4 year old sister into the ' circuit ' .
Fortunately she doesn't remember this but she does remember the time i decided to join the circus as a knife thrower and needed a practice assistant , the scar did fade with time though.

If electrocute waiting for super powers is perhaps sensible :p , but in my case, I would electrocute myself just to "enjoy the sensation" ... until I turn 5, as my parents tell me, and according something I remember.

Perhaps a new point to explore in BS audio: for achieving a new audio enjoyment, being in line with musician's aura, you need to direct connect with the audio signals, for a intimate audio experience. Only 5 to 10 seconds, touching the anode wire with the new SafeShock (tm) accesory (only 1999,99 dollars, a real bargain)! The new Safe Shock filters the bad karma from unprofessional musicians, leaving only pure audio nirvana! Remember, you need to power off the amplifier first, or you be contamine the delicate Safe Shock with bad starting time. When the SafeShock are secured in place, and finally powering on the amplifier, you only need to touch the metal pad it with the middle finger, for the already instructed time, playing you preferred music. Caution: if you not play a music during the connection time, your mind will be erased, like the zero signal present at moment.

Well, ENOUGH for now :yikes:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Found it with Google.
Sound and Vision
April 4 2007
Oliver Stone's radical cinema.
I didn't recall it verbatim, but pretty much correctly. Read it if you choose.

OK the interview chimp writes
"He said, 'Go put on The Doors. Let me hear it with The Doors,'" remembers James. "And as we watched it, he said, 'I'm not getting enough volume from the rear surround. I just don't feel like I'm in the movie.' And then he started comparing it to how it sounded when they were editing it. You have Oliver Stone sitting right next to you watching this movie that he knows exactly how it should sound. So, of course he's absolutely correct."

Which is a far cry from '3-4dB'. I wouldn't expect a director to even know what a dB was (or as I remember the factory manager once saying to an underling trying to explain why the production line had stopped 'don't you f****ng dB me boy').

Shame it's really just an advertorial for the installer.

My experiments came to an abrupt end when my Mother caught me wiring my 4 year old sister into the ' circuit ' .
Fortunately she doesn't remember this but she does remember the time i decided to join the circus as a knife thrower and needed a practice assistant , the scar did fade with time though.
Bloody hell! Now I don't feel quite so bad about convincing my sister to ride down a flight of stairs on a sit-and-ride.

Mine had the original walnut veneer under what the seller thought was white paint and turned out to be contact paper.

I assume you're kidding about the Schuman stuff.

I got a pair of AR 3's for a song in a similar scenario. But I wasn't so impressed, even after a restoration.

Yes.

Also: I wonder why no one has milked the transcranial stimulation angle yet with Hifi..:.. electrically stimulate auditory regions in the brain.

You could get a giant apparatus that can double as a posh listening chair, with a brain bucket like the hair drying machines from the 60's.

So, part home theater chair, part brain melter.

Transcranial direct-current stimulation - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.