Funniest snake oil theories - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2013, 05:29 PM   #481
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
If his fans knew what his voice is really like, he wouldn't have any !.
Funny!

I've read that Tom Cruise has a voice FX box to lower his voice and that it's in his contract the it always be used. Not sure if it's true, but it would not surprise me.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:01 PM   #482
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Yes.

And, of course, swapping polarity of power in will certainly alter the sound in most cases. Could be a test of people's hearing sensitivity, in fact ...
wait until you hear audio gear connected to diy built, separate ground connection!
most important is, the 5feet grounding rod must be gold plated, and installed to earth with bronze hammer.
yields ULTIMATE ground, sucking down all noise
Old 7th May 2013, 06:18 PM   #483
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Many Texans claim that.
Smile when y'all say that, boy.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:22 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Nope, it's a rec.audio moldy oldie. miragem3i's very valid point was unfairly ignored. While a great deal is known about the mechanism of auditory localization it hasn't translated into a commonly used measurement protocol - equivalent to frequency response or distortion - for testing a core element of audio reproduction. Judgment remains 'in your head'.
Well... you know that soundstage is also affected by several environmental parameters as well as several psychoXXXX "situations". In order to build a protocol to measure soundstage, I guess you, at first, need a protocol "to measure emotions and their impact on the sound experience" .... nice task
Old 7th May 2013, 06:37 PM   #485
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
It is my experience that people genuinely interested and schooled in music in general have no interest at all in sound reproduction. They can judge a musical performance from the sound of a clock radio.
I think you are right. From what you say, an analogy might be that literate readers of books don't care whether they are reading a battered paperback, a brand new hardback or the latest iPad. Whereas the unimaginative nerd is interested only in the quality of the paper and binding and can't even understand the words printed on it.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:56 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

If the print is smudged or bits missing though it'll be hard to enjoy reading it. You may even miscomprehend the intended text and get totally the wrong end of the stick. Listening to overcompressed broadcasts on average car radio or kitchen radio I can't make out half the lyrics let alone any subtle nuance of a musician's performance/expression with his/her instrument.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:06 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So you're claiming that skeptics don't listen?
Sure, they listen, but not critically. Perhaps they're all musicians so only need lossily compressed recordings to fully enjoy the music.

Last edited by thoriated; 7th May 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:41 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated View Post
Sure, they listen, but not critically.
This seems like the wrong way round: in life it is the sceptics who don't fall for the salesman's patter, and who check that their money is well spent; who check that the builder they hired didn't do a shoddy job. It is the sceptics who are the most critical of all. The 'non-sceptic' accepts whatever the salesman says, and just grins inanely as the door handle comes off in his hand.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:43 PM   #489
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised to find out that I don't listen, though I'll confess to being a musician at one time...
Old 7th May 2013, 07:57 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

I meant critically, to minute audio nuances - their neurons have probably been trained more in the musical expression area

I still remember once visiting a friend who had 'stacked Advents' in his untreated basement. He swore to me that a high end cassette recorder in that system made tapes that he couldn't tell from the original. Well, I couldn't tell them from the original either....on his basement system, anyway. However, I didn't generalize from that that cassettes were so good that there was no need to consider a higher accuracy medium.

Hide this!Advertise here!