Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Safe guess. :D As far as I was able to get into that rather turgid setup video linked above, it also seemed to be the one thing that the salesman didn't really talk about or consider.

He seemed to be just saying lean the speakers back a bit, from my fast forward through it... But in snake oil terms it's a let down as he only wants $40 for his secrets of the speaker-verse. Rule one, it only sells if you charge stupid money for it...

Part of that is down to the studio's choice to stick the mike about a centimeter from the singer's mouth. I really dislike that sound, but it's universal in pop and rock, and far too common in other genres.
Such close micing should result in a dead narrow origin with essentially no depth...ie a cone originating from slightly behind (the micing distance) a plane
joing the acoustic centres of the loudspeakers.
'Giant lips' indicates lousy channel matching, and not just amplitude matching.

Dan.

He seemed to be just saying lean the speakers back a bit, from my fast forward through it... But in snake oil terms it's a let down as he only wants $40 for his secrets of the speaker-verse. Rule one, it only sells if you charge stupid money for it...

I just found it interesting simply as yet another "experts" take on " the perfect sound " and worth a listen.
Have to admit though i didn't get as far as the $40 fee i assumed he did it out of pure love problem is he doesn't hold your attention for long with his kinda " unaccustomed as i am etc " persona.
The basic gist was that the standard triangular layout doesn't provide natural sound and we should use our ears not a tape measure when setting up to the extent of your speakers having unmatched distances from the back wall and unequal amounts of toe -in then add rake.
I would be prepared to try some of his methods unfortunately i can't change the habits of a lifetime so the triangle stays. :)

You just have to buy some beeswax fuses. Only 175$ a piece.
Audio Magic Beeswax Premiere SUPER Fuse | highend-electronics, inc.
Audio Magic Premiere SUPER fuse:
The Audio Magic Premiere SUPER fuse incorporates Audio Magic's anti vibration fluid to stop the element from vibrating at 50/60 hz and then the blackout powder super mix to absorb all EMI and RFI riding the element as well as ambient sources and insert a new HRC core which allows the signal to travel through the fuse in a more cohesive and linear manner. The Premier SUPER fuse is 30% better than the Audio Magic's original SUPER fuse in every way!

I love the sound of the precious few albums I have where the vocal mike is brought back a bit- it's a much more natural and integrated sound, with the size of the source sounding "right."

Some of what I think are great sounding recordings are blues cds from audioquest.
Mostly recorded with 2 mics, and no overdubs.
A local vintage store and repair shop called Innovative Audio hosts a record sell and swap- I got mine there for 3 for $10.
It's the sort of sound I like: I'm not concentrating on great bass, shimmering highs, or soundstaging.
I just kick back, relax, and enjoy some great performances from artists I hadn't heard of before.
2 mics can be awesome.
Rita Chiarelli has a couple of nearly no mix or overdubbed albums too.
No protools, just some vintage mics chosen for preferred colourations.
Sometimes less really is more.
Trinity Sessions, anyone?

I love my old vinyl. I've taken great care of it since the sixties. Miles. Monk, Heath brothers, Mingus and many many others. I caught them live when I was young and don't think of the LPs as audiophile stuff. Just great remembrances and great performances of times past.

Last edited:
Looking at his whole stereo thing as new stuff is better is hard for me to accept across the board. I play flute in jazz clubs and many younger players find it hard to believe I'm playing 140 year old flutes. They think they belong in chamber groups, or symphonies playing early music, until they hear me play. Preconceived notions are nothing more than...well I think you get my drift.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
bad sound reinforcement systems, and bad seating positions
I've found myself positioned under the balcony rim 12 feet from a small and nasty filler strung under a hard surface and pointed at my forehead.

The same goes for the local wireless broadband installers who's reports are undecipherable to the layman, but which state that they are reluctant to acquire appropriate antennas and would rather violate the landscape so they can use stock units to get the coverage they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.