Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds better without the inductor, yet you have to add a distributed inductor (known as a peculiar cable) in order to feed a speaker across the room. Is that an example of good design?

To get such a high inductance and low capacitance probably requires quite a wide spacing in the cable - I calculate an RF characteristic impedance of 250ohms. That could be quite good at picking up RF interference and feeding it back to the amp.
Rather close to the old 300 ohm unbalanced antenna cable then ? Based on length then what radio station it would be tuned to . This could be of very bad luck if a strong station of the undesired frequency happen to be in range . You have pointed out the most often ignored source of a far too common problem . RF on the output . Regards

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't use an inductor either, but my design topology is not as sensitive to cables, as Julian Veriker(sp), the founder and designer, of the Naim amps. It was what Julian found to sound better, about a decade before me. Does Nelson use output inductors? How about Charles Hansen? Anybody with an outstanding reputation in successful audio design?

However on 26/12/2013 you did say

I have a total measured inductance of about 0.4uH, over 100V/us.
I have done over 500V/us with 2uH in the past. Actually, it is NOT usually REAL INDUCTANCE, like a coil, but the internal rate of change in gain with frequency, which mimics real inductance.

Which is interesting as you clearly have decided that trading off slew rate to remove the need for a coil above output cable inductance is a good thing. Would be keen to hear more on that as it got lost in a beer fuelled discussion at the time.

I thought you were supposed to kill us if you talked about this stuff.

As a former employee of the aforementioned lab, this cracks me up to no small extent.

Probably the high incidence of melanoma is from the fact that most of us there were/are pasty white and only see the rather intense East Bay sun in large, albeit extremely rare, doses.

Wikipedia said:
The electron's kinetic energy varies, with an average of 5.7 keV, while the remaining energy is carried off by the nearly undetectable electron antineutrino. Beta particles from tritium can penetrate only about 6.0 mm of air, and they are incapable of passing through the dead outermost layer of human skin.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

*Someone didn't do his research on tritium decay (beta decay which doesn't have the necessary penetration depth at this energy level to be dangerous). I'd expect lung/mouth/throat cancer, anyhow, given penetration depths.

Status
Not open for further replies.