Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from AUDIO TIPS - audiodirection

"Believe it or not the color of the zip ties do make a difference in sound. We believe it is due to the pigments used in the manufacturing process. If we use the clear ( actually milky cloudy semitransparent plastic) as the base, red ties have a more open top end. Blue ties have a bit better bottom end. Black ties actually restrict dynamics and detail "

My cable ties are yellow, what should I be hearing?

Don't forget to degauss your zip-ties first!! What a bunch of hooey!

----------------------------------------------------------Rick..........

I shouldn't be giving them ideas but my turntable tweak is the Platterpuss Pro.

Once I have built one I will find out what it does. Whatever it does, it will do it better than ever before, but not as well as the Platterpuss Pro UltraQuant will do it next year.

Fishy Audio, you know it makes no sense.

Last edited:
He said it!

The zip ties story isn't even directly purposed towards making money, just promulgating an aura of audio mystique.:rolleyes:

Unless a hundred more also make the claim. Then there must be something to it.:p

Several years ago, I met the designer of Totem's Mani-2 speakers, after an in store demo of the Totem line.
Very impressive.
The speakers I tinker always have different material and panel thicknesses, as well as asymmetrical bracing, to avoid summing box resonances.
The designer said he'd sweated every detail he could think of.
I asked if the same speaker boxes sounded different then, due to the different resonance characteristics of the kinds of wood veneer used for different looks.
(Bearing in mind he'd just told us the green dots near the tweeters wouldn't sound right if they were a different colour).
He gave me the same cross look my first grade teacher gave me when I answered his glass was full- half full of water, and half full of air.
The designer answered that of course different veneers affected the sound, because colour is transdimensional

The next RIP off....
$350 for a few cents worthy of components (including PTH caps, plenty of inductance just what you want for a high frequency filter...) and a cheep PCB.
Of course if anyone bothered to look at either the internet spec or inside their equipment they would see these components as there are an integral part of the Ethernet interface.
$350 a total rip off, I am in the wrong job.....

Forgot to add the links....
A view of the PCB and components...
6moons audioreviews: SOtM iSO-CAT6

The actual device web page...
SOtM - English | iSO-CAT6

This product is a joke and another example of companies ripping off audiophiles, it is a standard Ethernet magnetics package, on all interfaces that follow the spec... with "High-end audio grade sound tuning" this must mean the through hole caps, with added inductance so zero use at the frequencies expected from the host.
Yet if I comment on this or other products especially from the likes of Michael Lavorgna, I will get called arrogant, think I know more than the designers and other childish insults. Yet if one spent a few seconds looking at the Ethernet interface they would see that the magnetics are always required and fitted next to the connector if not built in to the connector.
it saddens my black heart to see this going on and to be unable to discuss or comment on these sort of things without being tarred and feathered by the true believers.
it is coming up for revue on Audiostreem though, that will be interesting.

I seem to recall that the original 'thick' Ethernet cable had much greater voltage withstand specs than the modern UTP variant. Should true audiophiles find 'bee-sting' or N-connector Ethernet transceivers and run the sort of Ethernet which could be used safely across some industrial plant (like we did it in power stations)? It even had a solid core in the coax and everyone knows that improves audio.

I was thinking about the good old days and Ethernet interfaces, with the BNC connector and co-ax cable 10base5, the good old days... I would also recommend ditching USB as it has proven to be almost unusable for audio from what I have read and go back to good old RS-232. Also using CPM instead of windows on the music servers should help.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I did spend a bit of time last night thinking about an audiophile USB card. Most laptops bar macs have cardbus ports on (which I have not used since the original GPRS modem days). Much opportunity for a 'made for sound' plug in card and options for loads of copy on how it improves everything for your music!

As we haven't taken a pop at power conditioning for a while

IsoTek Systems

Quote on their ultimate units "he world’s first ultra-low-distortion, multiple mains generator, which creates from a zero point a totally pure re-built mains sine wave."

A zero point! amazing.

Pity poor Gustav, he must be turning in his grave when such charlatans use his name in such garbage & quack science. The copyrighted name KERP, or Kirchoffs Equal Resistance Path....Isoteksystems...

-------------------------------------------------Rick..............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.