Funniest snake oil theories - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2013, 06:20 PM   #111
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the output stage
Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
stumbled upon this video today: Penn Jillette on Why Tolerance Is Condescending - YouTube
just ignore the religious part and try to get the substance. I hope it won't get reported because of the religious content, I'm confident that the majority of the readers are intelligent enought to ignore it.
I wanted to state this a few times but for some reason I didn't.
the guy says at some point that he wants to be called on his BS and that's the world he wants to live it. this is how I view these subjective/objective arguments: without an opposing view and a group of adepts to sustain it there's no equilibrium. subjectivists are right many times. they're also wrong many times. same goes for objectivists. it is the confrontation that brings balance. I think intelligent people are capable of changing their views, given the right arguments. my belief is that whoever thinks they reached the "audio Zen" where all is clear, is wrong. regadless of them being subjectivists or objectivists.
I have encountered many subjective arguments and had real-word experiences that challenged some of my views and I'm glad it happened. I also have encountered very close-minded and self-sufficient subjectivists that made me be ashamed that we breathe the same air. goes both ways.
funny that the guy also states something I wrote in this thread: this tolerance is just BS, it just means that everyone is free to believe and preach everything they want which I absolutely believe is wrong. sure, no-one gets killed, but just expect to be called on your BS

I have great respect for Nelson Pass, John Curl, Bruno Putzeys etc. they have quite differing views but they do their thing and don't get caught up in arguments. I have noticed that they have the admirable talent of redrawing from an argument at the right moment. and not because they're not up to it, but because they know better.
which does not apply to some hypocritical types that pretend to have reached some sort of Zen. they preach this tolerance and "let it be" Bible but it is my conviction that they're just the opposite of what they try to display. they work by posting meaningless one-liners that are actually intended to enrage the ones they view as opponents and the straw-man argument is their favourite technique. boy, do I love the ignore feature of this forum.
__________________
we all love a good ol' stereotype until it's against us
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 06:21 PM   #112
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated View Post
Yet decent analog and digital encoding allows audible recovery of musical information 20-30 db below the weighted acoustical noise floor
FTFY. I won't bother linking to Werner Ogiers's demonstrations for the umpteenth time.
__________________
And while they may not be as strong as apes, don't lock eyes with 'em, don't do it. Puts 'em on edge. They might go into berzerker mode; come at you like a whirling dervish, all fists and elbows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 06:52 PM   #113
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the output stage
Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
here's a typical example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Let people believe in what they want to believe - it's none of your business.
let people post what they want to post (as long as there's no rule/law braking) - it's none of you business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
What do you think you are doing here, reforming the world? Haha. Carrying the torch of light? Hahaha.
no. what are you doing here? haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Threads like this are hilarious but not because of people who like spending large sums of money on strange gadgets.
thanks for letting us know how you feel, it is world-reforming. somehow, you posted a few meaningless and cliched replies on a thread you pretend not to care about and find hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Don't you guys have better things to do?
even if "we" (who is we?) don't, it's none of your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I don't know how I got involved in this thread
I'll have a go at it: because you like cr@pping on people's beliefs with the same intensity you pretend otherwise.


here you go. this is a typical. personal attacks and straw man arguments.
__________________
we all love a good ol' stereotype until it's against us
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 07:10 PM   #114
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: flyover country
Most audio equipment that includes D/A conversion processing allows a non-negligible amount of RF noise to exist on its analog outputs. It then depends on the immunity of whichever piece of equipment it is feeding to reject interference between the analog signal and the digital 'onlay' such as by rectification effects inside op amps. If this immunity is lacking, then the audible 'differences' between cables with varying inductance/capacitance ratios which will tend to suppress the digital artifacts by differing amounts will tend to be made more noticeable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 08:53 PM   #115
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
M Gregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
Where is it that RS has gone wrong with its screened cable? Well there's no liquid shield I suppose. And no crystals taped to it. It hasn't got some of this stuff on the outside
(The 741, of course, is another Straw Man).
As said...Nothing wrong with RS twin screened...used it for a long time...
Until I tried other things..

The 741 is just a seems like...was Ok in 1970's..You seem to think I like things like crystals etc...you might be wrong..

Regards
M. Gregg
__________________
What is the sound of one hand clapping?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 02:27 AM   #116
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Ron E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA, MN
Audio is not the only area where snake oil abounds, it is just one of the areas where they can make the most money with the least possible liability.
Look at the "Bomb detectors" that governments have spent millions on, and also homeopathic remedies.
__________________
Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan
Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity. Aldous Huxley
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 04:57 AM   #117
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
Look at ...... and also homeopathic remedies.
Hi Ron,
With all due respect to your view point I'd like to mention that homeopathic medicines are very widely used even today. Dr.Hanneman of Germany who started the system was also hounded and driven out of Germany and fled to France where you now probably have the largest homeopathic manufacturing company..Boiron. They appear to be present in the US also.

It has stood the test of time and as a user of homeopathic medicines I will say that it has done a lot of good for me and a whole lot of family members and friends over here. So after 200 years it should have died if it was a bogus system. However it is expanding here !

If one doesn't understand how it works ( many don't) you should try it and see if it works . In most cases it's harmless though some times it has to be used with care. A majority of the 'medicines' are just solutions of plant extracts in an alcohol base or diluted solid plant matter in lactose pills. Only some medicines are of in-organic origin.

It's interesting to read about some of the 'dangerous' plants that work perfectly well and safely in homeopathic doses ! One of the medicines is Rhustox ( from the Poison Ivy plant !) . It cures muscular pain ( due to over exertion) in a few minutes . It works , I have used it for years and so have several others whom I know. You can't make it into an allopathic pill because the key ingredient would 'kill' in concentrated form ! Besides,the key ingredient needs all the other chemicals present in the plant for it to work safely.Pharmaceutical companies did investigate the possibility of making pills and gave up.

Another simple remedy for cramps . As simple as Magnesium Phosphate . But taken in miniscule doses unlike allopathic medicines.
Another doctor developed a system called Biochemic Tissue remedies. This is similar to Homeopathy as it works mostly with dilute doses but is based on just 12 chemicals. Theses 12 ( which are present in larger amounts than the many others that are present in the body ) are present in all living tissues. If their proportions are changed we have a 'medical symptom'. Replace it and the problem goes away. However it isn't a cure for the cause of the problem !

Like cold might be the cause of the cramps. So taking MagPhos 6X tabs will stop the cramps but if the cause ( cold) isn't removed you will again have cramps and need to take more MagPhos ! You get muscle cramps when Mag Phos is depleted from your muscles. The body requires more MagPhos to counteract the cold and takes it from the muscles and you end up having cramps until the MagPhos level is brought up.

Try this on yourself or others and see what happens. Especially painful cramps you get by stretching at night will be gone in 5 minutes ! All you need to do is stick three or four small pills ( of MagPhos 6X) under the tongue. In very severe cases you might need to dissolve three or four pills in some warm water and sip it slowly!

Read up on Biochemic Tissue remedies and you will not believe what they say. Then buy some of the remedies and try them out yourself. They do not cost much. They are also very safe . You can swallow a whole bottle at one time and waste it but it will not harm you. All excess medicine is just washed away by the body. In any case a whole bottle will contain only a fraction of a gram of the key 'medicine'. The rest is just a neutral carrier..lactose. Increasing the number of pills does not increase the strength of the medicine. In fact you need only ONE pill. The reason you take three or four is because at such high dilutions ( millionths) some pills may not have the 'medicine'. So you take three or four and at least one will carry what you want ! Yes , it sounds funny the first time you hear about it ! Note that some new companies make large pills about 5 mm dia or more. You need to take only one of these . Traditionally they were about 2mm or less in dia .

Note that since all these remedies use very dilute doses of plant extract or chemicals, they will work or work well only in a clean environment. No smoking and alcohol or strong allopathic medication ( or even foods like raw garlic and onions !) when taking these 'medicines' is almost mandatory. Otherwise they get 'drowned' in nicotine or tar or alcohol or whatever else.
This is why it works VERY well with children and women ( at least from large parts of Asia). Modern young Asian women seem to have started smoking and drinking so they will probably miss out on a great opportunity !
Homeopathy is also alive and well in Europe ! I hear they even have Homeopathic pharmacies at some train stations in Germany ! Maybe our German members can tell us if that is true !

Cheers.

PS: 6X means a millionth dilution. So a 2 gram pill ( of lactose) will only contain a couple of millionths of a gram of the 'medicine' !
__________________
AM

Last edited by ashok; 29th April 2013 at 05:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 08:48 AM   #118
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Arrrrrgh!

Is it just me or did this thread start as 'name the stupid theories you've heard' and rapidly degenerate into cries of 'but the theories are true and the engineers don't know anything cos they're boring!" ????

Anyway, on the basis of what I thought this thread was meant to be, my favourite review I read online was one where the designer was with the reviewer, 'tweaking away'.

This involved such things as taking the lid of his boxes to show off the expensive capacitors used, and WHAM! the sound got better.

This process is described in the review until they get to the point where they turn the rug on the floor around, because the fibres were pointing in the right direction.

Absolutely hilarious.

I also LOVE that my local 'High-End' Hi-Fi shop refused to let me bring in my computer as a digital interface many years ago (when I was using a pro-tools rig and would have used the Pro-Tools HD interface) as they claimes my lossless-compression wasn't lossless and the only way to listen to high fidelity was on CD or vinyl. Now they're selling USB DACs everywhere and screaming about how good they are.

Same goes for what-HiFi, reviewing digital cables and saying there's a difference between a 25 cable and a 185 cable. It's actually crazy.

They do the same for HDMI cables - they review HDMI cables at 75 as "fantastic picture quality mated with dynamic and powerful sound" then go on to describe a 5 cable as "brilliant way to spend a fiver, will give rivals up to 20 something to think about"

Maybe they're unaware of all the tests done showing there's NO difference between two working HDMI cables, or even the $1,000,000 reward for anyone that can show (scientifically) or perceive (in blind tests) the difference?

blows my mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 09:49 AM   #119
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
M Gregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Its interesting,

So none of this makes any difference...Ok except the speakers..perhaps the transport..the rest can be disregarded if its engineered to achieve reasonable performance..

OK so at what point as we go up the scale from bottom end gear to Super Fi can we compare and not hear the difference..?

So if we get a super fi system and put standard screened interconnects between the components..we won't hear a change of sound due to construction twisted pair or other or core material in a listening test (unless its worse)..So what is the point of different cable construction?<<..Its all snake oil..Is it?

Yes some of it is....but we all know that..

Regards
M. Gregg
__________________
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Last edited by M Gregg; 29th April 2013 at 10:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 09:52 AM   #120
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
So after 200 years it should have died if it was a bogus system.
That doesn't follow. There's all sorts of total nonsense that won't die as long as there are people willing to suspend critical thinking and embrace it. Complete lack of good evidence for these notions and their repeated failure in controlled testing discourages people not a whit.
__________________
And while they may not be as strong as apes, don't lock eyes with 'em, don't do it. Puts 'em on edge. They might go into berzerker mode; come at you like a whirling dervish, all fists and elbows.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snake oil or not? Carlp The Lounge 21 28th February 2011 10:03 PM
More snake oil astouffer Tubes / Valves 22 26th May 2009 02:50 AM
Looks like snake-oil but really works. Circlotron Everything Else 18 28th November 2002 11:40 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2