List of audio "VIPs" and commercial affiliations? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2013, 04:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
I agree,

The next step is to put copies of qualifications on the user profile to stop fraud..

So how does this help..

Regards
M. Gregg
if such list ever becomes public (unlikely) you'll always be free to disregard it
Old 10th March 2013, 04:33 PM   #32
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My question was misunderstood- sorry for my poor communication. The "f'rinstance" I asked for was an example of a misleading technical argument motivated by "veiled" commercial interests, where such an argument wouldn't be torn apart by the technical hyenas who wander this zoo.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:41 PM   #33
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Tongue tester.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:42 PM   #34
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is more to this,

Think outside the box..so we identify J bloggs builds chips for military guidance systems...fred s...is linked to nuclear power stations....etc
Or is it just people linked to the audio field? So a designer of TV's would not count?

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 10th March 2013, 04:46 PM   #35
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SY's point is correct,

The people here will take great delight in ripping to bits ideas..thats the point I guess..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 10th March 2013, 04:50 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

OT.....
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Swoosh, swoosh ??( very low spl of course !)
Old 10th March 2013, 05:02 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Sy,
Without naming names I have seen this happen in another thread. The person is a well known person and has credentials that would make you believe that they are giving just the facts, but I have notices the vitriol towards someone else product, the snide knocking of an alternative product. At the same time the audience can be very much in awe of that person and don't seem to question some of the statements, like boutique caps for audiophiles they just line up like lemmings and drink the Kool Aid!
Old 10th March 2013, 05:10 PM   #38
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Not hyenas, but seekers after truth! Something boils in my guts when I see someone selling ordinary stuff at an expensive price, or useless stuff at any price, or being paid to write complete garbage in magazines. Of course, it's a free market but at least the gullible punters ought to be warned. Sadly, the warnings are often brushed aside by fanboys, who then accuse us of being nasty because we rain on someone's parade. Those of us in the UK of course have to be careful what we say, but people in the free world can say that rubbish is rubbish.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:17 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

DF96,
I thought you had the same freedom to what you want as long as it isn't slanderous. I thought the UK was still a democracy following parliamentary law? Truth is always a defense, and opinion stated as such has never been a prosecutable offense.

But Big Brother is watching and that is now the US government.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:21 PM   #40
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
At the same time the audience can be very much in awe of that person and don't seem to question some of the statements, like boutique caps for audiophiles they just line up like lemmings and drink the Kool Aid!
And how would disclosure of this person's occupation change anything? People who like stories, like stories.

At the Axpona show I attended, I listened politely as a cable salesman explained to a couple of eager audiophiles that he used to always have systems that cost at least $200,000 in his home, but these cables are so good that he now uses them and is content with a $40,000 system. Despite the fact that he was a salesman for this product, these guys ate it all up and couldn't wait to get a set. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair for believing this, but I strongly feel that no explanation of basic physics would have dissuaded these guys from dropping thousands of dollars on a pair of 1 meter RCA cables.

Hide this!Advertise here!