List of audio "VIPs" and commercial affiliations? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Life is not that simple. Wise people sometimes talk nonsense. Fools sometimes (accidentally?) talk sense.

The way to tell whether someone is wise or a fool is to correct them when they talk nonsense. The wise man will thank you. The fool will insult you. (King Solomon said something vaguely similar to this, a long long time ago.)
Right. I think mr_push_pull is worried about people being dishonest or to say it in other words, people who talk like a crap salesman with a mouth full of samples. I don't see that kind of behavior here but then, I don't read all the threads. I remember some problems with a Chinese seller but apart from that...I think time puts everyone in their place which is an old Spanish saying. If you spend enough time here you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 9th March 2013, 07:37 PM   #22
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
What I see in many forums is the requirement that anyone with industry affiliations clearly identify themselves with a suffix to their IDs or with a disclosing signature.
The difference is, this is a technical forum. You get technical questions. You answer them using data, plausibility arguments from first principles, simulation, or handwaving. It's usually pretty clear which you're doing. It's different in that way from non-technical "audiophile" forums, where people don't get hard questions (or have rules in place that don't allow them). "Industry affiliation" is, to me, an amazingly fuzzy concept here- if you do chip design, are you an "industry affiliate"?
Old 10th March 2013, 03:43 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The difference is, this is a technical forum. You get technical questions. You answer them using data, plausibility arguments from first principles, simulation, or handwaving. It's usually pretty clear which you're doing. It's different in that way from non-technical "audiophile" forums, where people don't get hard questions (or have rules in place that don't allow them). "Industry affiliation" is, to me, an amazingly fuzzy concept here- if you do chip design, are you an "industry affiliate"?
That is not my argument as I do agree that the arguments must stand on their own, regardless of the credentials of the writer. I was responding to an expressed interest in identification/affiliation because of a perception that some might be misled by posts cloaking a commercial interest.

Actually, I was not suggesting a generic label of "Industry Affiliate" but more specific labels, such as "chip designer" as a simple and benign alternative to making lists.
Old 10th March 2013, 03:55 PM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not sure I follow you. Could you give me an example? Feel free to make up names.

I've certainly seen dishonest arguments used here, but they get gutted pretty quickly- the nature of distributed peer review, in a sense.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
so no public list I guess
Old 10th March 2013, 04:08 PM   #26
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. Could you give me an example? Feel free to make up names.

Cap Lover
Electrode replacer
Physics affiliate
Meccano master
Temporary imbecile
Apprentice solder user
Tongue tester
Member of the suicide squad
Spark erroder
Injection moulder
Pimp my amp affiliate
And VIP member of the valves make money squad.

Sorry can't resist..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 10th March 2013, 04:16 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
so no public list I guess
All joking aside,

Do you think "Famous"<<<or other might have enough of having to be deadly serious. Would it put people off commenting in a casual fashion for interest or just to help someone. Isn't that the point of the username to hide (If people want to be anonymous)..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 10th March 2013, 04:18 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

The question then becomes what of the person who makes up a title to give their argument more weight? This would be the equivalent on a mechanical engineering forum to someone claiming to be a mechanical engineer and giving advice that is used to do something that could be dangerous due to the receiver of the information taking the advice as fact, when it could only be an opinion.

By the time someone may realize or may never realize the information is faulty the damage is done. It is better to understand that much information is only opinion, unless it is acknowledged that someone has some professional background and will stand behind their statements as fact. Let the listener beware, keep an open mind but question everything, look for confirmation before belief.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I agree,

The next step is to put copies of qualifications on the user profile to stop fraud..

So how does this help..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 10th March 2013, 04:22 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
for instance when industry people are involved I see less of the amp rolling or cap swapping craze.
in a forum with hundreds of thousands of posts one needs criteria of selection. studies have shown that often simpler metrics give incredibly good results.
and I have no problem with keeping the list to myself

Hide this!Advertise here!