Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2013, 12:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I too had a tactless music teacher. However, what he said contains a grain of truth.

I listen mainly to orchestral music and 1970's rock, with some 1960's too. My personal view is that 'classical' music largely took a wrong turn in the early 20th century; I can't stand atonal stuff, for example. Messaen's Turangalila Symphony is about as modern as I go. Pop music largely lost the plot in the 1980's, with a few exceptions. Very little chart stuff of today will still be listened to in 50 years time, let alone 150 years time.

I have similar (but stronger) views about modern 'art', much of which is either silly or just cynically exploiting rich fools. Rubbish carefully arranged by an 'artist' remains rubbish. Paint splatted onto a canvas as though by a 3-year-old has all the artistic merit of the scribblings of a 3-year-old: his parents think it is beautiful, everyone else knows it is not.

I believe this decline in the arts is a reflection of a declining civilisation. The same decline can also be seen in the wilful ignorance that many have of science.

It was not my idea to start this discussion! I am inclined to leave it at that.
why the dichotomy? I mean classical vs modern crap. there's much in between. one of my all-time favorite artists is Peter Gabriel. his records are anything but acoustic. many of his songs create an atmosphere which would be impossible to create with acoustic instruments and zero post-processing.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull
why the dichotomy? I mean classical vs modern crap.
No dichotomy. I like some music styles. I don't like others. Some I like even though they are fairly trivial, such as the 1960s stuff I grew up with. Generally I prefer music (and art) which has some creativity in it, which excludes much modern stuff (which often uses a good story to hide lack of substance - the woffle accompanying modern art could easily be written by the same people as audio gizmo marketing).
Old 10th March 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dave, strongly recommended (my wife uses this to help sell her art):

Instant artist statement: Arty Bollocks Generator
Old 10th March 2013, 05:37 PM   #14
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Precisely!

As I reported in another thread:
artist: "That's my good work; will sell for £100 each. Over there is my rubbish; I can get £1k each for those!"

A few years ago I saw a TV programme which interviewed a master sculptor. You know, the old-fashioned type of artist who, with great skill, makes beautiful things with his own hands. He did secret classes for art students. They had to be secret as the art tutors at the nearby college would ridicule any of their students caught learning such stuff. For them, art has to be ugly, tasteless, and trivial; perhaps that is all the tutors were capable of so didn't want to be exposed as the charlatans they were.
Old 10th March 2013, 06:26 PM   #15
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
"Sergeant Pepper's" is a studio album. It could never have been produced as a live performance. You can't expect it to sound 'real', whatever that is. What you have to do is appreciate the mix, an artform in it's own right, and the overall result.
I agree with your post but I want to point something out. This was true when the album was created but now a days there are many tools available to musicians. With these tools it would be very easy for an album like Sergeant Peppers to be performed live. Because of this, the very definition of what live sound is has been changed.

With tools like ableton, reason, traktor, reaktor, etc. live and studio style albums have meshed. IMO sampling is the instrument that changed everything.

I break down albums more in this way now.

1. sounds like Musician(s) is(are) playing in my room
2. sounds like I am where the Musician(s) is(are) playing
3. sounds like a mixture of both 1 + 2 (and sometimes 4)
4. sounds like none of the above

you can view these as moving from live style recordings to studio style recordings in descending order but the truth is that they all can be perfectly reproduced on stage live with the right tools.

Hide this!Advertise here!