Why "minimalism" is not popular ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2013, 09:11 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

an amplifier using 400 parts does not mean it will sound better than one using 20 parts! it is all in the design, topology, parts used etc .
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Human prejudice

Just that...pure prejudice.

Preconception... they think they will not look clever accepting, trying or designing something simple..they think people will believe they have not knowledge..then they complicate as much as they can.

As i already understood the trick, i just do not pay attention to them.

Ahahahahhah!

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 22nd February 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

how about moving this to the Lounge? - so far it looks all too familiar and not likely to help anyone interested in cirucit design for audio, SS or tube

Last edited by jcx; 22nd February 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Please let me explain what I intend for minimalism
I meant designs with low devices count
Let's take a line preamp
I have seen line preamps with one mosfet and other with 20 active devices per channel.
Quite a difference. And incidentally that one with one mosfet was the better sounding by a good margin.
This should mean something.
Or not ?
Is it reasonable to use 20 transistors for a line stage ?
Regards,
g
let me guess. the one transistor pre amp was BOZ or J-fet BOZ?
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
let me guess. the one transistor pre amp was BOZ or J-fet BOZ?
Of course. The BOZ.
But with a regulated power supply, something not very purist approved.
That simple schema with the right power supply is really impressive
I would expects some followers
Instead ...
Regards,
g

Last edited by ginetto61; 22nd February 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

i plan to build a J-fet BOZ soon. just to try it. i have most of the parts ready. that one will be with regulated 16V PSU.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I find its even easier to build a simpler machine these days with the even wider choices of highly linear semiconductors. With some knowledge of ohms law, knowledge of the parts at hand and a basic understanding of bode/nyquist along with datasheets for the clues on ideal operating currents anyone can design a very good simple amp. I'm not sure it is not popular, I wasn't aware of that as I see many great simple designs out there, but you must mean commercially.

Colin
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:21 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
how about moving this to the Lounge? - so far it looks all too familiar and not likely to help anyone interested in cirucit design for audio, SS or tube

Indeed, thread moved.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Please let me explain what I intend for minimalism
I meant designs with low devices count
Let's take a line preamp
I have seen line preamps with one mosfet and other with 20 active devices per channel.
Quite a difference. And incidentally that one with one mosfet was the better sounding by a good margin.
This should mean something.
Or not ?
Is it reasonable to use 20 transistors for a line stage ?
Regards,
g
..plus dozens of local and global fb..trying to linearize those semi-conductors

just look at (or inside) of todays sold hifi "equipment", IC everywhere and suspicious claims about 5-6-7*100-150W , but looking at powersupply transformer seems somewhat underrated.
would like to see it pumping that power at 24/7
... and made of hundreds or thousand smd components, picked and designed with only one thing in mind : lowest BOM

minimalist approach? welcome to tubes, where are few components used, but quality of each one is very important.
working in ems company,so i am quite familiar with this "mess"
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I think it's to do with degrees of freedom. The more minimal your design, the more likely it is that in order to change one parameter, you will affect several others, and lose the ability to set parameters arbitrarily. By compartmentalising each function with its own sub-circuit, (or piece of software code, or speaker driver) you give yourself the chance to achieve the truly optimal system.

In the past I have been baffled by engineers' apparent instinct to minimise parts count/cost, or avoid ICs, at the very start of projects, regardless of whether it was going to be an issue in the finished product. My attitude is that components are very cheap compared to engineers' time, and every day spent trying to cram code into a too-small microcontroller, or ameliorating the effects of source impedance when an op amp buffer would have cost $0.10, is a huge waste unless the product is going to sell by the thousands. In DIY it simply isn't an issue.

I know that in audio there is a notion that says that every extra component in the signal path is somehow thickening the nice wiggly line on the oscilloscope trace, and fogging up the music, but I got over that particular superstition some time ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!