Is DIY worth it ? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 08:40 PM   #51
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
One guy said it's not the result so much as the journey.
Yes, see the thread that overtheair linked.

Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can![/QUOTE]

Truly the most rewarding builds I can remember. Creative and confounding. Surely something so fast, easy, lightweight and cheap couldn't sound like that could it? Hey it's not gonna take over the world but I bet you call someone to come for over for a listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
KatieandDad doing backflips over the sound that they are getting versus the dollar cost.
The funnest build I can remember and I've been doing it long enough to have forgotten many of my builds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz7aff View Post
If it don't cost money, then it is work and no hobby
Yup
Old 16th January 2013, 08:50 PM   #52
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Yes, see the thread that overtheair linked.

Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!
Truly the most rewarding builds I can remember. Creative and confounding. Surely something so fast, easy, lightweight and cheap couldn't sound like that could it? Hey it's not gonna take over the world but I bet you call someone to come for over for a listen.

The funnest build I can remember and I've been doing it long enough to have forgotten many of my builds.

Yup [/QUOTE]

Hi Cal,

I remember that speaker the young fella brought to Al Wooley's place years ago that used helical wound electrical wire for the internal horn. I believe you were there for that one. I've never shook free from the impression that speaker made!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 16th January 2013, 10:54 PM   #53
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I'd consider those Behringers a minimum for home stereo. If you just wanted to listen to music (instead of tweaking forever), my point is that you couldn't spend less and get more.

At the other end of the scale, it's easy, especially when you look at "HiFi" gear (studio gear appears to be more difficult to beat): that stuff is (so far as I've seen) always sold with a huge profit margin. The Neat Motive range, for example, uses Peerless midbasses at 16 a pop. The completed speakers cost circa 1000.
I could probably build something similar for a couple of hundred pounds, or spend 1000 and build something that would annihilate them.

Going further up the scale to the really expensive gear, and I expect bigger still profit margins, which again makes them easy to beat.

Part of DIY is the challenge. Getting better performance than commercial HiFi speakers at a similar price is fairly easy. Outdoing Behringer, with the massive economies of scale in their favour, that is where the challenges are.

Chris
never heard them but I would not be surprised that they pack a bang for dollar punch.

Unlike the majority of you, I guess I just want the destination and suffer the journey.

NOT that I knew where I'd end up (lots of luck I got to where I am, which is a good place) but now I am here I'm happy. Most of you guys love the builds and the challenge and move on to the next project eagerly.

So I guess that means diy can answer a lot of disparate reasons.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:14 PM   #54
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry j View Post

Unlike the majority of you, I guess I just want the destination and suffer the journey.

NOT that I knew where I'd end up (lots of luck I got to where I am, which is a good place) but now I am here I'm happy. Most of you guys love the builds and the challenge and move on to the next project eagerly.

So I guess that means diy can answer a lot of disparate reasons.
True

As much as I love listening... I just love the journey, building this stuff, thinking about building it, trying to understand how it works, getting better at doing it. THAT is what I really enjoy.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:52 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
True

As much as I love listening... I just love the journey, building this stuff, thinking about building it, trying to understand how it works, getting better at doing it. THAT is what I really enjoy.
I like the idea of building excellent gear that I couldn't afford otherwise, being the supreme cheapskate that I am.

I dream of a genuine SOTA system costing in the hundreds of (pennies, quarters or, if I come into a lot of money...maybe dollars!

Last edited by TerryO; 16th January 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:21 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

DIY for me is significantly less expensive than what I'd have to spend, on the open market, for the things I build. This has taken years of learning to achieve mind you, but that's the other side of it, I love building things and pushing my capabilities, so that I end up increasing my skill set. The other main advantage is being able to build stuff that is bespoke and fits exactly to my needs, stuff you can't buy. Then there's the fun and sense of satisfaction, which is priceless.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:33 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
DIY for me is significantly less expensive than what I'd have to spend, on the open market, for the things I build. This has taken years of learning to achieve mind you, but that's the other side of it, I love building things and pushing my capabilities, so that I end up increasing my skill set. The other main advantage is being able to build stuff that is bespoke and fits exactly to my needs, stuff you can't buy. Then there's the fun and sense of satisfaction, which is priceless.
Thank you! You've covered the reasons that I left out of my post.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:36 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Default Mixed answer

There are 3 types of of audio DIY , whether they are worth it is subjective.(depends on how much a fanatic you REALLY are )

1. A full build with new parts - depending on your sourcing (ebay -barter) and building skills you should exceed the quality of any OEM. An example would be
my "badger" amp that I will soon build . 300-350 USD ... new toriods,case ,caps
semi's. Looking at something comparable (powerwise) , I find the Alesis Ra-500 -250USD ,audiosource 310 - 550USD .... typical class AB amps.
Besides most likely having better semi's and passives , I would have the satisfaction of having built it myself - it seems to "even out" with the 550USD amp (my time is worth at least 200$).

2.Ebay or salvaged OEM - very rewarding to recap a classic amp , maybe upgrade other components. This can actually be profitable (also depending on skillful sourcing).

3. My favorite - the full "salvage job" . Find certain E-wastes ,throw them all together - have something for nearly free. (below sub/trafo , amp heatsinks , and output semi's). Sometimes you might have to buy a few dollars in assorted hardware , but in the end it is just labor intensive.

With experience and networking, DIY can be more cost effective than OEM and certainly more rewarding .

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub.jpg (69.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by ostripper; 17th January 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 01:12 AM   #59
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi OS - it iz good to see you back around again!!!
Old 17th January 2013, 02:17 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

I finally fabricated the chassis for my pre/proc amp for my stereo holographic soundbar just now. Front and rear panels anyway. It's a 17 x 12 x 3 inch aluminum chassis (Hammond). It'll have about 13 circuit boards in it (most mounted vertically), a total of 33 dual opamps. Circuits I've been optimizing for months or years in some cases. It feels good to finally see the physical form taking shape. I'm having a "nerd thrill"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soundbar chassis fab wb.jpg (213.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Bob Richards; 17th January 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!