Is DIY worth it ? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 03:49 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

got to add a post here....2 years ago I had never even heard of a capacitor, I dont care what the cost is...I am struggling financially : its a superb educational hobby...I not heard anything in a shop that remotely compares to my set up....If it burns or smells :so what...what a boring thing to do: just go in a shop and buy!! Money is not the be all and end all. I cant deny money helps but its not everything
Old 16th January 2013, 03:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
If I d win euro millions, I d invest into best work shop and acoustically treat the room to be able to build best speakers/amp/you name it diy I can within limitations of my experience
Old 16th January 2013, 04:41 PM   #43
K.A.B is offline K.A.B  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The answer yes, DIY is worth every penny.

I'm into DIY just because it is fun a lot better than sitting in front of television and wasting my life away.

You also get a lot of friends who have the same interest just great to then you share the experience is a given.

Anders
Old 16th January 2013, 06:13 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
I'm just wondering wether or not to dip my feet into the DIY speaker World. I've got a pair of B&W DM683s which are beautiful but I would like to try a pair of 802D's. Second hand they can be got for about 5000 but is there anything DIY that can reliably outperform them ?
KatieandDad just to answer your question regarding DIY speakers, you might want to try this relatively inexpensive speaker build. Lots of information and the speaker gurus here at diyaudio are doing backflips over the sound that they are getting versus the dollar cost.

Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

With a shopping list of a pair of 3" full range speaker (can be from a previous project or something you have lying around), foam core board from your local Pound store, glue (hot melt, latex caulking, or white school type), some wire, a grommet, a printout, and insulation (pillow stuffing or rock wool).

It is now on the top of the list for speaker projects for me. Total cost so far has been $10 Canadian in foam core boards. I have some leftover 3" satellite speakers from an in-law blown up home theatre system and plywood from repairing my bathroom floor. I need the caulking and I am promised something that will make me rethink my full sized speakers.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:31 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

One guy said it's not the result so much as the journey. I like that. DIY is very good for the brain, which like muscles is a "use it or lose it" kind of organ. TV with all it's bullsh*t will turn any brain into cr*p, if that's all you do. If it perks your interest, and motivates you to go further I'd say it's worth it. If you have a bunch of knowledge on the subject, then it's a shame not to use that knowledge. Building a better future is great spiritually, and it spills over into the rest of your life spiritually. As expensive as it can be at times, it's way cheaper than a "shrink" (psychologist), and way more effective, from my experience.

The audio field (and perhaps most other fields these days) is highly corrupted by charlatans making all kinds of ridiculous claims, in order to get your money. You can spend $2 or $35 for a polyprop cap. You will NOT hear a difference unless you've convinced yourself that you will. Speaker wire is perhaps the biggest joke. 16AWG AC line cord from the hardware store is fine for up to 15 feet. It's the connectors that are the weak link, not the wire. Gold alloy doesn't corrode (oxidize) so that's worth it on connectors, and solder the wires to the banana connector; the set screw gets loose over time. Monoblocks is a joke too. AC line conditioning filters are VERY rarely going to make any difference. The 3886 chip amps are excellent, and will never be the weak link of any system, unless you just needed more power. Decent tone controls are a must. I prefer a 4 section Baxandall design (variable slope, not shelving).

The way I see it, I recognize that whatever I build, I'll be stuck with that for many years. I'll look at it and listen to it every day. So it's worth it to me to make things as good as I can, but with the money spent wisely. The Linkwitzlab.com website is a great source of education even if you don't want to go with open baffle (which are great if it's practical to position them at least 3 ft. away from any walls). My website would be a great education for most hobbyists. There are many other good sites, but many many many websites are full of bullsh*t. If you read enough you may develop the ability to tell the difference.

For speakers, I have found Peerless to be competitive with the worlds best, at some of the lowest prices out there. Dayton Audio is another very good and inexpensive brand. They aren't as pretty as Seas or ScanSpeak or other highend brands, but from a technical point of view they are for all practical purposes just as good (depending on the specific driver). Sometimes better.

Check out my hobby website. Check out my credentials there too. I'm not trying to sell anything to anybody. Just sharing my knowledge and passion for those who can appreciate it. I'm a 57 yr old semi-retired Engineering Tech who's been doing this since gradeschool (early 1960's). My system blows my mind when the source material is good.

Bob's Website

Last edited by Bob Richards; 16th January 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:40 PM   #46
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
......the brain, which like muscles is a "use it or lose it" kind of organ.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:55 PM   #47
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

GoatGuy captured it well from my perspective (not sure about that moniker !)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 16th January 2013, 07:20 PM   #48
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

yes, he did
but does it really need any reason at all
either you llike it, or you don't
like any other hobby or activity, it cost money
and in the end, its just another way of wasting money, and precious time
well...maybe I should have said spending and not wasting
its either this, or something else
Old 16th January 2013, 07:25 PM   #49
oz7aff is offline oz7aff  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If it don't cost money, then it is work and no hobby
Old 16th January 2013, 07:31 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

My nephew asked me if I thought he should buy a bass guitar and amp, and get in a band (I've played guitar semi-pro since 1970). I thought about it and then told him; "If you have to ask that question, then probably not". But what got me started was the passion of others that were doing it in a way that clicked with me, and of coarse my love of music. It's like it was about chance. A series of events came together in a certain way at the right time (?) It seems like much of life happens that way.

Hide this!Advertise here!