Anthropomorphism

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just before christmas I pulled out of he e-waste at work a couple of shiny boxes, made by Fisher. One is a tuner. The other an integrated amplifier. I was curious about what was inside them. I opened the amp and found a nice transformer that I thought could be re-purposed to a future project. Not much else of use though. Then I saw two burned out fuses. I replaced them. The amp seems to work now. I just can't make myself pull that trafo, even though the amp is nothing special (STK output modules). I mean, it's like the amplifier doesn't deserve to die.

Now I realize, I'm anthropomorphizing this amplifier.

Is this a common behaviour ???

p.s. from Wikipedia
"Anthropomorphism or personification is any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed to belong only to humans) to other animals, non-living things, phenomena, material states, objects or abstract concepts, such as organizations, governments, spirits or deities. The term was coined in the mid-1700s."

Twenty-five years ago when our older son had just started school we decided to teach him a big word just for fun. The word was "anthropomorphism", which was why this thread caught my eye. One day his opportunity came. The teacher asked "does anyone know a big word?" His little hand shot up and he told everyone. The teacher was somewhat surprised and asked him what it meant because she didn't know. He answered "Well, Thomas the Tank Engine has a face, but real trains don't. That's what one is." He couldn't get home fast enough that day to tell us about it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.