Kids can't be force fed knowledge - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 09:18 PM   #31
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, it was a wild ride!
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:19 PM   #32
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Wonder if it might be true?

What if our civilisation really is declining, even as our technical knowledge (but known by only a few) is expanding?
Scary isn't it!

What if the culture and drive to make money by the institution is the only goal..keep the industry running...Make everyone do NVQ's now QCF...
Assessed by anyone they can get...read electrical engineering assessed by a carpenter..Oups...well he makes a better job of it..why because the students know everything and always pass...(read because the assessor can be told anything)..ie whats that then..its a relay we look down its an overload device..oh thats great isnt it..well done you have passed...do you know the regs? Yes oh great see you next week..

Then lets ask..OK ...where are the Machine drawings..OK explain the operation of the feedback control starting with the comparator..then watch the er//umm..err//..OK what voltage is on the drive?...er ummm...explain the shut down sequence for field failure...er ....Ummm..This PCB has the wrong polarity coming out of an op amp and the output is modulated find the fault...er how do I connect the test rig??? er

By the way their working on their own next week because of holiday and sickness (people off)..never mind they have passed...(They were competent at the time of assessment)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 2nd January 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:35 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Can't they... if it's via MTV?
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:42 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Teaching kids would be a piece of cake if we had the "Great Teacher".

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreatTeacher.jpg (25.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:43 PM   #35
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
You know, having said that, we had some crazy teachers.
I don't recall in which grade I was but I wasn't too tall. Our math teacher had some slight problems with his nerves (haha he was crazy as hell), scary looks too. All hairy and eyes filled with red veins. Tall and thin, he looked like a scarecrow. Everyday was the same, first thing was checking the homework (I never did my homework) so I could see the shitstorm coming every day in class and was scared and nervous hoping I wasn't the chosen one but (for some unknown reason) I never did my math homework. The days he checked my papers I was instantly caught and there was a lot of yelling, a lot of hand movement in the air; occasionally he would throw objects at me: the blackboard eraser, chalk sticks, books, whatever he had on hand. I would just duck my head...sometimes I could avoid the impact and sometimes not. After a while he usually calmed down. There was some kind of punishment awaiting for me at the end of class but I don't remember what it was. To be honest I felt a little sorry for the guy, I could feel his passion but, still, the homework was never done. Mysteries of life.

That guy was a piece of work, I think he was kicked out. The teacher, not me.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:44 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Can't they... if it's via MTV?
I do think the students get a rough deal...OK some of it is OK..some of it is so so sad..then again the college can't function without funding...the teachers get an even rougher deal if they really care about the students (They know and can do nothing about it)..and some care about what happens to the students so they leave!

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:01 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I watched the Feynman documentary "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" over the holidays. He passionately expresses therein the difference between knowing and understanding that has been stated in this thread. This is also where I find the most good in the OP story - that the students were being taught to not just know things but also to think for themselves to expand on that knowledge. The humanitarianism as a byproduct of the goal, not the goal itself.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:09 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

The animals are learning fast!

Funny Animals' Videos - YouTube

Perhaps the need to know is linked to the NEED to survive...

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:21 AM   #39
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dave (and Michael), thanks for the definition. If I understand you correctly, it's just a way of writing an irrational number.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:57 AM   #40
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes. Essentially you write the definition of the number, and use that as a symbol for the number. You then use the known properties of the number in algebra e.g. (sqrt(2) x)^4 = 4 x^4.

I was always a bit baffled by surds. Not that I couldn't do them, but in using them I wasn't sure I was really doing anything new which needed a special name for it.

For many years I wondered about the distinction between irrational numbers and transcendental numbers - I couldn't see why this was a useful distinction. Then when doing my research I found myself with big equations with lots of powers of pi cropping up. I then realised that as pi is transcendental, no power of pi or rational combinations of powers of pi could ever cancel with a different power of pi. This meant that pi's on the LHS had to balance with pi's on the RHS (just like x in algebra) so I could equate coefficients of powers of pi. The coefficients had to include pi too: (pi^2 + 4) kept cropping up so often (in Class E PA theory) that my supervisor suggested we call it Kimber's constant!

Hide this!Advertise here!