Kids can't be force fed knowledge - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 03:15 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Sadly just now, hunting, fishing, and hallucinations are possibly more useful in Spain than algebra and grammar.

I sympathise totally. I got too much pure theory and not enough application to demonstrate its value. Luckily I had a fascination for making aeroplanes. That drove me to discover the town library, and a parallel self-education based on need-to-know took off from there. All a bit lonely though, looking back.

After reading Balzac's "Germinal" at age 9, I had nightmares for months. I could have done with some supervision. I can still picture the riot.

There's another drive here to make science entertaining but turning it into a circus doesn't help because the underlying problem appears to be a loss of interest in the workings of the everyday world, from which most people are alienated because they never see the completed products of their labour, and seafood comes from supermarkets, so life becomes a walk-through cinema. How's that for a sentence.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:07 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I enjoyed reading Feynman's lectures.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:45 AM   #103
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticIsGood View Post

After reading Balzac's "Germinal"
It is from Emile Zola...
Old 7th January 2013, 09:57 AM   #104
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I enjoyed algebra. It is a necessary precursor to calculus. Together with geometry these form the basis of understanding how the physical universe works, including objects like audio amplifiers and guitar strings and drum skins.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:57 AM   #105
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sadly just now, hunting, fishing, and hallucinations are possibly more useful in Spain than algebra and grammar.
but the conditions of preagricultural existence suggest >90% die off would have to happen before stable carrying capacity of Iberia were reached

another broad subject public education doesn't seem to teach -Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel", "Collapse" shouldn't be surprising synthesis for anyone considering themselves "educated"

we are way beyond the possibility of a "return to nature" without making Great Famine, Cultural Revolution or Killing Fields levels of upheaval, mortality look relatively painless

we need Techonology, must find a way to train technologists, educate voting public to not steer us into disaster - but we can apparently carry up to 40% ? unemployment rate without immediate social melt down, massive death - so another theme would be how to structure "post scarcity" society, culture – and how to educate for it

Last edited by jcx; 7th January 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:05 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
It is from Emile Zola...
True. Just shows how much I don't know about literature. The myth of the self-educated man! I guess I started from one end of the library, hoping to read it all. I can't have got as far as "B".
Old 7th January 2013, 04:17 PM   #107
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticIsGood View Post
Haha, so true.

Quote:
That drove me to discover the town library, and a parallel self-education based on need-to-know took off from there. All a bit lonely though, looking back.
Same thing here, to read from the source is so much better than to read from dull intermediates. Similar to what happens when I watch documentaries about great people. The narrator lessens the value, and the object of the study no longer looks that interesting.
Old 7th January 2013, 04:41 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Maybe this one could be interesting RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms - YouTube
Old 7th January 2013, 04:50 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenguden View Post
Maybe this one could be interesting RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms - YouTube
Be wary of Sir Ken. If you read what he actually says, he considers home schoolers as radicals and on the fringe. He is a shill for the Royals.
Old 7th January 2013, 04:59 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

I see a lot of uninformed opinion on education and schooling in this thread. It is fine to have an opinion, everyone has one.

Modern public school was not invented for education. It was invented specifically and precisely for indoctrination.
Prussian education system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The father of this style of schooling was
Johann Gottlieb Fichte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
who is also the father of Nazism. Think about that for a minute. Do you really want your children going to a school designed by a Nazi?

The school system was designed to destroy a child's imagination and his free will. They do this through the structure of the school itself. So, there is no way to fix public education. It is inherently broken, on purpose.

Hide this!Advertise here!