John Atkinson's Opinion on DIY - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2012, 04:11 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
See the comments below the article. I guess us "hobbyists" just don't know what we are doing.
I understand him, if an engineer has a hobby he is not an engineer anymore, despite of diploma, knowledge and experience.

I.e. in order to continue being engineers we have to hate our projects.

Old 10th December 2012, 04:18 PM   #32
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I was very surprised when reading the article, and especially the discussion. Stereophile lost a lot of its credit, to me. Which is not important, of course.

Old 10th December 2012, 04:32 PM   #33
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

JA's comments on Class D may or may not be correct, but in this case he was not attacking DIYers but being attacked by a DIYer.

Old 10th December 2012, 05:02 PM   #34
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Mikey, "prince of price-no-limit" as he was once named in a letter to the editor, completely tanked the ML Class D monoblocks in the last issue. Those are some $50,000 amps. So, there is the occasional negative review, in between hundreds of 'likes.'

In this case, it would be fair to say the speaker measures woefully and is a flawed design to begin with. But the personal attacks on JA are not fair, IMO. Which other magazine puts up any measurements at all? Maybe SoundStage. The Stereophile library of measurements in the largest that I know and there is enough there for the person in-the-know to figure out how the equipment is going to sound.

Old 10th December 2012, 07:14 PM   #35
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
To be fair, many don't.
I don’t see a problem with that. It is to be expected.
Excersizing a hobby is an intentional educational process. We are all into this for to gradually build some knowledge, by trial and error, by studying and breadboarding, by digesting and bench testing members knowledge given here and elsewhere on good will.
Amateur, is a qualitative adjective (the lover of the craft), denoting intentions mostly.
Knowledge and capabilities vary a lot. Much more than among people involved professionally with the subject of this hobby.
On the other hand, professionally involved people may have some vested interests to defend (commercial products, brand name, fame). Thanks God, this is not always so.

The monster that we all have to fight against, is the size of our ego.

Reviewers and editors of Hi-End magazines have to function in a gray zone (“Hi-End” zone)

George

Old 10th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #36
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
JA's comments on Class D may or may not be correct, but in this case he was not attacking DIYers but being attacked by a DIYer.
+10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Mikey, "prince of price-no-limit" as he was once named in a letter to the editor, completely tanked the ML Class D monoblocks in the last issue. Those are some $50,000 amps. So, there is the occasional negative review, in between hundreds of 'likes.'

In this case, it would be fair to say the speaker measures woefully and is a flawed design to begin with. But the personal attacks on JA are not fair, IMO. Which other magazine puts up any measurements at all? Maybe SoundStage. The Stereophile library of measurements in the largest that I know and there is enough there for the person in-the-know to figure out how the equipment is going to sound.
Agree .........

Old 10th December 2012, 08:04 PM   #37
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I would not, after discussing here his method of "real life measurements" loading amps on a bumpy artificial curve of impedance dependent on frequency that looks scientifically-smart-impressive for amateurs, but meaningless for engineers.
What's wrong with the Kantor simulated load?

Write slowly, as if you're writing for a non-engineer. Which, in this case, you are.

Old 10th December 2012, 08:48 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
What's wrong with the Kantor simulated load?

Write slowly, as if you're writing for a non-engineer. Which, in this case, you are.
Why I should be motivated to repeat it once more?

Old 10th December 2012, 10:08 PM   #39
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Why I should be motivated to repeat it once more?
The only reasonable reason to be opposed to that measurement is simply that one's invested in crappy amps (glorified lightbulbs, etc.) and the measurement shows that they're low-fidelity devices compared to modern amps.

Old 10th December 2012, 10:36 PM   #40
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Let's not turn this into another stupid "Transistors vs Tubes" debate, shall we?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!