Anyone from Sweden? Need some general information. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2003, 03:46 AM   #1
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Default Anyone from Sweden? Need some general information.

I need someone from Sweden to offer some support for me.

I'm interested in the type of prices you guys have for some basic things, like bread, drinks, beer (of course!), gas, electronics, etc. Basically anything you guys can think of that I can compare with how much stuff costs here (Canada).

I'm interested in basically how much Canadian dollar would buy me in Sweden (I'm VERY interested in moving there in a few years, but its just wishful thinking and research right now).

Thank You all
Old 7th November 2003, 05:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I was staying in Sweden for 6 months 2 years ago. From what I remember food prices were about the same, clothing too, electronics and sporting goods were about 30% more and gas was almost doubled. It seemed like a nice country to be in. At that time they still didn't decide on Euro and that brought the Kronor down, as the prices seemed to be lower than I expected, 10 SEK=1USD then. It's different now, I guess. I spent most of the time in Stokholm and Uppsala.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th November 2003, 05:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

well that's pretty decent, thanks peter

that's what i thought of .. very appealing country for me

i'm hoping that within 5 years i'll be gone from this damned city .. winnipeg is the biggest dump in canada (besides regina possibly) .. there's nothing here, no jobs, a degrading economy, murder rate on the rise .. all the goodies

any other input from swedes would be more than appreciated
Old 7th November 2003, 01:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You should be prepared that in winter you have daylight only between 9am and 3pm. But summer is nice. In fact, south of Sweden reminds very much of Ontario, but it seems to be cleaner.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th November 2003, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

that's ok
winnipeg is like 8-5 during winter anyway, so i'm used to it

also, surprisingly, their winter temperatures are what we get during the "fall" (or the not-quite-yet winter as we like to call it ..)

the 4 seasons of winnipeg: almost winter, winter, still winter, construction
Old 8th November 2003, 12:44 AM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

elizard:

It is up to you, of course, but isn't it a little drastic to move across an ocean just because you don't like one city in a country?

If the weather gets to you, I could point out that southern British Columbia has some pretty nice temperatures-more moderate then Connecticut, which is not especially cold, (except for last winter, which was exceptional).

I understand you even have orange groves in BC. Last time I looked, Sweden-while ranked very high as a place to live-was decidedly citrusless.
Old 8th November 2003, 06:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Its more than one city getting to me. Its more like the whole country getting to me, actually all of North America getting to me.

Its not THAT drastic, I've done it before, so I have some experience.
I'm just thinking for what'll be best for my future, and more importantly for the future of my kids (who aren't even in plan yet, hell i'm not even married yet, but that's ok!).

I'm not gonna have a good, satisfied life here. Too much stuff that I don't enjoy, and although Canada is a good country, it lacks in too many things for my tastes. But of course that's a different discussion that I'd rather not get into.

Bottom line is this is something that I've decided on with my girlfriend, and we've support from both our families. Of course, right now its wishful thinking, there'll still be at least 4-5 years before any moving is considered, but its in planning stages, the idea is implemented in my mind.
Old 8th November 2003, 06:38 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard
If the weather gets to you, I could point out that southern British Columbia has some pretty nice temperatures
We just went thru a real cold snap -- it actually got cold enuff some nights to freeze water ... the upside of the cold is that it was sunny -- November is usually the wettest month of the year here.

dave
Old 8th November 2003, 07:17 AM   #9
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone from Sweden? Need some general information.

Quote:
Originally posted by elizard
I need someone from Sweden to offer some support for me.
Hi!

If you don't are pleased with Winnipeg why move to Sweden of all places? Why not Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Denmark, or USA the best country in the world?

When we talk climate, check where Sweden is. North of Sweden is above the artic cirle and the temperature can get down to -50 deg C! but -40 deg C is not unsual. Also, the sun is up all the time in the summer. Even Stockholm and Uppsala have bright nights.
Old 8th November 2003, 07:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

south sweden, judging by the type of weather you have now and by some history, gets nowhere near as cold as winnipeg does .. and south sweden is what i'd be aiming for
judging by the average temperatures you guys get around -10 to -15 degree weather .. while december, january, and february are between -25 and -35 for us, and march and april are -10 to -25 ..
only in may does the frost thaw, and we still have snowfalls in may
north sweden i'm sure is much colder though

as far as USA being the best country in the world, i'm moving away from north america because i don't like the way of life here ..
i originally grew up in Europe, and i've the european way of life instilled in me
and after some research, sweden, followed by norway, finland and denmark, seems to be the best places as far as way of life goes ..

as far as the sun up being all summer, doesn't bother me at all
we have sunshine from 5am till 10pm here normally in the summer .. and i've had many days where i've slept during the day, so i'm not bothered by that

it just seems like a more attractive country to live in, that's all ..

Hide this!Advertise here!