How to deal with migraines? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 11:39 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Low saturated fat, low sodium and low sugar diet -> lower blood pressure
Old 6th January 2013, 02:11 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
well, I stopped drinking all this nasty things and stick to organic wine now, with no sulfur if possible. two bottles go easily down and no migraines.
the last really bad one was in Madagascar with home brewed Rum, I thought I would die..
Portuguese wine is "organic" and doesn't give headaches. I think that is because of lower sulfides.
Old 6th January 2013, 05:14 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Portuguese wine is "organic" and doesn't give headaches. I think that is because of lower sulfides.
Any wine does an opposite. When people use wine, drugs, or any other chemicals to relax, their bodies refuse relaxing naturally and start demanding chemicals that work. The result is stress that triggers higher stress, and so on, until migraine happens.
Old 6th January 2013, 11:53 PM   #115
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

not sure if it has been discussed before but...

my father has been suffering from migraines for a few decades and is taking some kind of pill as soon as he feels it s coming ,for some time now. helps him a lot he says
Old 7th January 2013, 12:00 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

I take migraleve as soon as I feel one starting. I still need to spend the day in bed, but with the drug the symptoms are quite tolerable. People who really suffer with migraines often are prescribed amitriptyline in doses between 25-50mg, if you can tolerate the side effects I've heard it is quite effective. I take low dose ami for other reasons and at low doses the side effects are quite benign, obviously there, but not unpleasant. The frequency of my migraines has been reduced since I've been on ami, which is good, a change in dose can trigger one though, as can missing a dose, but then I have other problems that leave me a little more sensitive to the ami than a healthy person.
Old 7th January 2013, 02:38 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
neuropathic pain membership ?
Old 10th January 2013, 06:14 AM   #118
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I take magnesium citrate + calcium citrate + vitamin D3 combined supplement daily. (I mean, started after migraine struck me, to avoid it in the future)
Just read one of the linked pages-apparently citrus is a migraine trigger for many people. So my suggestion of magnesium citrate might not be such a great idea.

If citrus is a trigger for you, or if you don't know for sure it is not, I would either hunt down magnesium glycinate on the internet or at a health food store. Also, I just saw magnesium gluconate at a CVS, which is a large chain drug store in these parts, so it should be available. The glycinate is chelated, which usually means better absorbed.

Magnesium oxide, the most common form and the cheapest, is the least absorbed, according to the charts I have seen.

If you can't find a combo pill with magnesium, calcium and vitamin D that doesn't contain a citrate or magnesium oxide, you might have to go 3 different pills to avoid the citrate. Up to you, of course.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Hide this!Advertise here!