The Weather

A few days ago, we had daily record highs of 89/90°F (32°C). Last night there were frost/freeze alerts. Before Noon today the temp was up to 68°F (20°C) and heading upward.
This spring has been quite similar in St Louis. Just a couple days in the 80's so far, and a lot of 50's and 60's. End of May, and the furnace was on one or two days this last week! Our kids often celebrated last day of school by sleeping outside on the deck but this year would have been a test of their hardiness to pull it off.

Haven't run air conditioning at all - to be honest, I'm scared to even try it since it's this house's original (circa 1977) unit.

Rainfall has been abundant and interfering with farm planting schedules but not so bad as to be called a major problem.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side : 10 times more people die due to cold, than resulting from heat.

But that was the bright side what I just described! ...Wanna hear the other side? ;-)

________

Anyloon, I don't rely much on thermometers; they're always @ the wrong spots. I don't rely much on anything actually. ...Heck I have no warranty on myself...not a single day (or night). ...When I came up on this planet there was no certificate of warranty that came in the box.

I should plant a garden this year. ...But it's just too hot.

Do they have gardens in Alaska?

Attachments

• jack-nicholson.jpg
    jack-nicholson.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 181
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Very strange weather here in Kamloops recently.

Yesterday morning I woke up a 6:00am and it was raining. I watched the weather all day from my office window, and it rained the entire day. Yesterday evening, it continued to rain. That was the first time since living here (~4 years) that this has happened.

Yet, it is not over. I awoke this morning and it was still raining, and as I look outside from my office window, it has continued raining all day and it is raining right now.

This is simply unbelievable to me. ~33 hours of continuous rain. I think previously I witnessed about 3 hours of continuous rain, and that only happened once or twice.

Very strange weather here in Kamloops recently.
<...>
This is simply unbelievable to me. ~33 hours of continuous rain. I think previously I witnessed about 3 hours of continuous rain, and that only happened once or twice.

It does happen sometimes.

I spent a summer in the Okanagan in I think 1991 working in the orchards - it was a bad cherry & peach crop because of a late frost and then lots of rain. At one point it rained for about two weeks straight. This was over in Osoyoos/Oliver/Penticton corridor, and we would just watch these horrible black clouds come flowing south down the valley. Living in a tent for two weeks with rain really sucked :eek:

32° Celsius here right now. ...In the shade! :eek: ...I need to dig a hole, and pour cold water in it, with ice cubes. ...Just forget heated hot tubs, or saunas, or heated swimming pools, or lakes, ...even the ocean is too warm.

Alaska without nights must be even warmer I bet.

Anyone else with that kind of "cold" weather hitting hard right now?

Hey Bob, I have an alternative to A/C. Before leaving for work, I fill the tub with cold water. Through the day it lets off a little cold into my place but what it's really doing is warming up a bit. When it's time for bed it's around 25 - 28 degrees, perfect for cooling you down before bed. I had an A/C unit at one time but this is the dog's bark, I mean cat's meow. 15 minutes and I am out like a light instead of recycling all the beer onto the bedsheets.