The Weather

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Temps have really dropped here with lots of rain.

Went for a drive earlier to look around for freebies on the side of the road and didn't see much. Really enjoyed the drive and went really easy on the throttle cause I've only got 1/4 of a tank left until tomorrow. Was a bit tempted to put on a little bit of heat in the car actually its that cold this morning.

Attachments

• diyaudio-214.jpg
    diyaudio-214.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 69
Works on maple syrup too. I often freeze sap and toss the ice for up to half the content. Speaking of which, if we were a commercial operation we'd have tapped out for this warm spell. I'm sure there's high sugar content sap flowing now.

Oh, we were up to 50F (10C) yesterday and higher today. Then a slow drop back to normal temps with occasional snow over the next week.

That is very interesting to know, think it might work on birch too?
I know some people make birch syrup, and we got alot of those around here. Mostly pine though... But I like pine, makes for a lively fireplace.

Ps. I got wasted on my fraction frozen blueberry from last year, shhhhh don't tell anyone (it's off topic y'know;-) Quite wasted really, I should go to bed, people are coming over tomorrow, that actually have an interest in sound systems. Gonna finish my drink first though.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The cheapie blower ....

Thanks for the pic. Your toy is throwing a smaller stream much further than my "$650" 210cc 2-stage. Since I try to clear a turn-around for UPS, throw is critical and something my machine isn't doing. There is a mod for this, though it increases stone-damage. I'm tempted to take-back my old machine from the guy I lent it to.

Anyway I have a chance to try a small electric 1-stage, but dunno when it will come. (Probably need to clear a UPS turnaround to get it.)

I'm clearing 500 feet of gravel/clay drive 12-18' wide, and a 40x40' K-turn, with the 24" blower. Takes a while. But not that much longer than doing it with the plow-truck, and easier to un-stick.

I have two snow blowers. One a two stage the other a single stage. The single stage works way better on the snow I get.

The two stage is an Ariens, the single a Toro.

I bought the Ariens first strongly recommended by one of my employees who turned out to be a dud. When the unit got put away for the summer without being drained, the next winter when I needle to clear things I took the carburetor to be cleaned where they had a Toro. So needing to clean things I bought it. Worked so much better the Ariens stayed unused until the guys put the Toro away wrong. I'll let them use the Ariens enough that they won't make that mistake again.

Almost forgot to mention the Ariens started leaking gas Friday from a failed fuel line clamp. Smelled enough it got caught before the building burned down.

Last edited:
Real men are just happy they got one of these:
Best pris pa Fiskars Snorydder (9088) - Se priser for kjop i Prisguiden
With extra bits to ensure it's rigid enough and whatnot, I also used sicaflex on the tubes on mine to dampen vibrations and further ensure rigidity to a whole'nother level.

Dunno if you can see it right, but it is 100% manpowered, and that is what is needed to get snow away from the area, next step up is a tractor. A snowblower just tosses the stuff to somehwere closeby. So equal to a shovel in my book.

Edit:
Ofcourse a snowblower can be very good for your particular application, and if you have any form of handicap they can be a big help. But if you pay money for working out: you're wasting money, get a nice assortment of shovelling equipment. Cheaper, and no fuel other than your own calories.

Last edited:
I see you are in New England. Forum member Kevinkr is somewhere north of Boston and we figured that out a couple of years ago. What we got today, he would get tomorrow. Yesterday it was 60 degrees. This morning it was 5.

Yes, I'm about 1.5 hrs from Kevinkr and we get together on occasion. Love seeing and hearing all of his work. I can't possibly keep up with him!

Nice to see the required footwear in place for snow clearing! ;-D

That is very interesting to know, think it might work on birch too?
I know some people make birch syrup, and we got alot of those around here. Mostly pine though... But I like pine, makes for a lively fireplace.

Ps. I got wasted on my fraction frozen blueberry from last year, shhhhh don't tell anyone (it's off topic y'know;-) Quite wasted really, I should go to bed, people are coming over tomorrow, that actually have an interest in sound systems. Gonna finish my drink first though.

I'm sure it would work on birch. I haven't tried making birch syrup because we don't have much nearby, but I do want to try it sometime and make some birch beer from it. Cheers!

so when it's blowing stiffly enough at -31F, you can make your own instant snow - just add boiling water YouTube

somebody's got way too much spare time on his hands

That works because throwing the water atomizes it, so it freezes instantly. You don't actually need the wind, very cold temps alone (and -31 is very cold) will do it. If you put a pot of boiling-temp water out, it takes a while to freeze.

The other one is where boiling-temp water is put in the freezer in ice cube trays it freezes faster than room temperature water. But if you weigh the cubes, the hot water ones are less mass, because the hot water vaporizes at cold temps, so there is less water to freeze, so if freezes faster.

Last edited:
The geographic setting at my place makes a snorydder not very useful. I don't pay for a gym, but when clearing 2 foot wet dumps, even a snowblower is a workout. I don't use it unless it's a big snowfall.

Yes I know, it was intended as an overly brash statement not to be taken 100% seriously. Maybe 66%.

Snowblowers are heavy indeed, they are also fuel consuming, and stuff that has moving parts do require some maintenance. It is just that sometimes I see people spend money on things they do not need. Then again a snowblower can be a very useful tool, sometimes even a must-have. But not everyone needs to have one.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Real men are just happy they got one of these:
Best pris pa Fiskars Snorydder (9088) - Se priser for kjop i Prisguiden
With extra bits to ensure it's rigid enough and whatnot, I also used sicaflex on the tubes on mine to dampen vibrations and further ensure rigidity to a whole'nother level.

I have one of those - great for fast shifting snow. Also have one of these
Best pris pa Icraft Snoskuffe Plast - Se priser for kjop i Prisguiden

- a very superior snow shovel, also great for spreading grit after moving the snow and before it turns to ice!

We woke up to 38 cm of snow Saturday morning. Most neighbours hire contractors that use agricultural tractors with huge throwers attached.
I purchased a new 2 stage thrower last year after putting straight gas into my little old 2 stroke thrower. Throwers work great up here with the fresh powder, no good for the slushy stuff that falls further south.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When I got up yesterday morning it was 17 °C, this morning -8 °C. Other than a few spots on corners where there was 2+ meters of snow piled up it all melted on Thursday and Friday. It's almost as if the big snow storm a week ago never happened.

Friday we got 4 inches (10 cm) of rain and our garage flooded. I spent about 30 minutes sweeping the puddles out of the garage and then assisted Amy with putting away outdoor Christmas decorations. By the time I went inside at around 14:30 the temperature had dropped to 0 °C.

The much feared temperature transition occurred well after the rain ended so we seem to have dodged it this time. (black ice, icy sidewalks and roads, etc...)

I have a 20 inch 2 stage snow blower which has proven indispensable even with the modestly sized driveway, patio and side walks I have to clear. More often than not when I need the blower I really need it, we either get a dusting which shovels easily or 4 inches or more than doesn't.

I live just a couple of miles south of Boston these days, it hasn't changed the weather scenario much as I still live near the edge of the sea.

Throwers work great up here with the fresh powder, no good for the slushy stuff that falls further south.

I have a 27" wide 8HP machine that has never clogged and even throws the sort of 1/2 snow, 1/2 water that we get occasionally. You know the kind of stuff where you stomp on a pile and it sprays out like water?

Sadly, I left gas in it one year and now the carb needs replacing... ;(