Need help from EUROPEAN members: Coffee / Tea Survey - Get a FREE Cable! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 09:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help from EUROPEAN members: Coffee / Tea Survey - Get a FREE Cable!

So I'm working on a school marketing project and would highly appreciate some input from European Headfiers. It's a really quick ten question survey about your consumption of coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

I created the survey in Survey Monkey:
Click here for my survey

I need to get a bunch of answers for this, so I will offer a drawing for a FREE brand new 6" mini-to-mini audio cable. Simply complete the survey and add your HeadFi / DIYAudio name at the bottom. I will hold a drawing the drawing for the free cable in 3 weeks. If your name is drawn, YOUR MAILING ADDRESS MUST BE IN EUROPE. No cheaters If you have any additional input about coffee / tea or hot chocolate consumption, you're more than welcome to add it to this thread.

Many thanks for your help with my project!

Bryan
Old 25th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bryan, just curious as to why you imply you need a machine to make hot drinks? I just use a kettle to boil water.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Bonkers. Do young Americans really need a dedicated machine to make hot drinks? Are they so lazy/impatient? In Europe we have a wonderful multipurpose invention called an electric kettle. You can use it to make 'hot' tea (few of us over here drink cold tea!!), coffee, chocolate, Bovril, instant soup, instant noodles etc. Should we export this idea to the US?
Old 26th November 2012, 02:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I use a cafetiere (french press in the US) and a kettle or a stove top espresso thing to make coffee.
Dirt cheap and the coffee tastes a LOT better than from any coffee maker I have ever tried.
For tea I use tea bags and a mug, no clean up required at all and it is pretty instant to boot.
If I ever make hot chocolate which is very rarely I use only hot milk and no water whatsoever. I have a little milk pan for that.

May be DF96 is right and there is a gaping market for electric kettles in the US.

PS: Once upon a time I had one of those coffee makers that drip hot water on the ground coffee but the cafetiere-made coffee tastes much better. I have no idea what instant 'coffee' granules are actually good for. It's certainly not fit for human consumption and I don't need hyperactive pets.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 26th November 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So, those espresso machines with the copper piping must be another scam. We can do it all with a kettle and prove it in a blind test
Old 26th November 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9s View Post
So I'm working on a school marketing project and would highly appreciate some input from European Headfiers. It's a really quick ten question survey about your consumption of coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Bryan
Cool, just finished it :-)

My other hobby just happens to be the adoration of coffee . Heck I even roast my own

Machine is a nice copper plumbed E61 double boiler semi-pro espressomachine. And yes, it matters

Or:

French press

Or:

Aeropress coffee device

Or:

Cona coffeemaker

Last edited by Merijn; 26th November 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:40 PM   #7
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Kettle is something very English!

In Italy we drink coffee (mostly). Tea is appreciated but we just use a pot to boil water. Or microwave oven.

For coffea we use moka for coffee it's very cheap!

Click the image to open in full size.

or in the south (Naples) Caffettiera Napoletana

or if you like automatic for coffe and cappuccino and hot water:

American coffee here is not loved...at all.
That's why Starbuks does not exist here...is a bad imitation of an italian coffee

Last edited by azimut; 26th November 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimut View Post
American coffee here is not loved...at all.
That's why Starbuks does not exist here...is a bad imitation of an italian coffee
Amen

And do not underestimate the importance of a proper grinder!
Old 26th November 2012, 05:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Never liked Star*ucks.
The coffee isn't very good and they use a confusing array of made-up italian names which confuse me. Plus they don't pay their taxes here so screw 'em!

azimuts first picture is what I use sometimes.
Turkish mocha is quite nice too but you really need to add the right of sugar before you start making it and then you have to boil it on the fire until it foams.
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/turkis...ages/sugar.jpg
Old 26th November 2012, 09:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Instant hot chocolate, hot water, splash of cold milk, and a teaspoon (heaped) of sugar.
Throw it all into a thermos, and you're sorted for the frankly rubbish weather we've been having.

I don't care for coffee.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!