Need help from EUROPEAN members: Coffee / Tea Survey - Get a FREE Cable!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm working on a school marketing project and would highly appreciate some input from European Headfiers. It's a really quick ten question survey about your consumption of coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

I created the survey in Survey Monkey:
Click here for my survey

I need to get a bunch of answers for this, so I will offer a drawing for a FREE brand new 6" mini-to-mini audio cable. Simply complete the survey and add your HeadFi / DIYAudio name at the bottom. I will hold a drawing the drawing for the free cable in 3 weeks. If your name is drawn, YOUR MAILING ADDRESS MUST BE IN EUROPE. No cheaters ;) If you have any additional input about coffee / tea or hot chocolate consumption, you're more than welcome to add it to this thread.

Many thanks for your help with my project!

Bryan

Bonkers. Do young Americans really need a dedicated machine to make hot drinks? Are they so lazy/impatient? In Europe we have a wonderful multipurpose invention called an electric kettle. You can use it to make 'hot' tea (few of us over here drink cold tea!!), coffee, chocolate, Bovril, instant soup, instant noodles etc. Should we export this idea to the US?

I use a cafetiere (french press in the US) and a kettle or a stove top espresso thing to make coffee.
Dirt cheap and the coffee tastes a LOT better than from any coffee maker I have ever tried.
For tea I use tea bags and a mug, no clean up required at all and it is pretty instant to boot.
If I ever make hot chocolate which is very rarely I use only hot milk and no water whatsoever. I have a little milk pan for that.

May be DF96 is right and there is a gaping market for electric kettles in the US.

PS: Once upon a time I had one of those coffee makers that drip hot water on the ground coffee but the cafetiere-made coffee tastes much better. I have no idea what instant 'coffee' granules are actually good for. It's certainly not fit for human consumption and I don't need hyperactive pets.

Last edited:
So I'm working on a school marketing project and would highly appreciate some input from European Headfiers. It's a really quick ten question survey about your consumption of coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Bryan

Cool, just finished it :)

My other hobby just happens to be the adoration of coffee :D. Heck I even roast my own

Machine is a nice copper plumbed E61 double boiler semi-pro espressomachine. And yes, it matters :D

Or:

French press

Or:

Aeropress coffee device

Or:

Cona coffeemaker

Last edited:
Kettle is something very English!

In Italy we drink coffee (mostly). Tea is appreciated but we just use a pot to boil water. Or microwave oven.

For coffea we use moka for coffee it's very cheap!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

or in the south (Naples) Caffettiera Napoletana

tumblr_lpw7rv0oya1qda01r.jpg

or if you like automatic for coffe and cappuccino and hot water:

baby_new.gif

American coffee here is not loved...at all.
That's why Starbuks does not exist here...is a bad imitation of an italian coffee :D

Last edited:
Never liked Star*ucks.
The coffee isn't very good and they use a confusing array of made-up italian names which confuse me. Plus they don't pay their taxes here so screw 'em!

azimuts first picture is what I use sometimes.
Turkish mocha is quite nice too but you really need to add the right of sugar before you start making it and then you have to boil it on the fire until it foams.
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/turkishcoffee/images/sugar.jpg

LOL the great british attitude towards everything.... Yep.. I'm one too...

Drinking coffee and tea is a ritual in the uk... making it from the kettle is a big part of it... It gives us an oppertunity to complain about how long it takes, and the cost of doing it. Then we go on about the price of tea, coffee, sugar and milk.... Then when its all done, we sit and enjoy our drink.... Coz its cost us a bloody fortune to make it! :)

Drinking coffee and tea is a ritual in the uk... making it from the kettle is a big part of it... It gives us an oppertunity to complain about how long it takes, and the cost of doing it. Then we go on about the price of tea, coffee, sugar and milk.... Then when its all done, we sit and enjoy our drink.... Coz its cost us a bloody fortune to make it! :)

It's very pleasurable ritual when it's cold! What a big difference on the attitude for an espresso...30 seconds...you are done!

Turkish mocha is quite nice too but you really need to add the right of sugar before you start making it and then you have to boil it on the fire until it foams.
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/turkishcoffee/images/sugar.jpg

I like too. Different taste, and different attitude It remembers me my holidays in Greece...and his cold version Krio or φραπές...

Last edited:
Cost of a cup of tea:
Tea bag about 1p.
Milk/lemon about 1p.
Water almost free. (assuming tap water - faucet for Americans)
Energy to boil water about 3p (3kW for 3 mins at 20p/kWhr)
Cleaning cup/equipment afterwards - negligible.
So basic cost is about 5p per cup.

Then may need to add cost of time. Could be as little as 1 minute if doing something else while waiting for the kettle, or as much as 5 mins. If not working then time is free.
If working then time may be £1 per minute, but the time taken for making tea may reduce stress so have a positive result i.e. the cost could be negative!
Wild guess: time cost is somewhere between -£5 and +£5 so assume zero.

So a cup of tea costs 5p to make. A dedicated machine might be useful if someone has to make lots of tea, but we already have a device for that here: we call it a teapot.

Sorry. I gave up the sugar habit many years ago. OK, we can push the cost up to 7p for a builder. I think the machine offered by the OP was an order of magnitude more expensive?

Something else to be aware of is that people can be quite fussy about exact strength of tea, or temperature for making coffee. All easy to adjust when making drinks the traditional way. Will the machine have knobs to set these parameters?

Thanks very much for the responses fellow DIYers. My apologies for implying one needs a machine to make hot beverages, it was not my intention. It's definitely interesting to hear all the perspectives.

Personally have a Nespresso machine, nothing too special but it's nice to drop in a cartridge and get an espresso shot full of caffeine in about a minute. Certainly lazy on my part I suppose. Tea is totally different though. I enjoy loose leaf and I take my time to steep it and prepare it with milk, but most people in the U.S. don't bother with hot tea oddly enough.

Thanks again with the responses! :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.