Need help from EUROPEAN members: Coffee / Tea Survey - Get a FREE Cable! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 09:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

LOL the great british attitude towards everything.... Yep.. I'm one too...

Drinking coffee and tea is a ritual in the uk... making it from the kettle is a big part of it... It gives us an oppertunity to complain about how long it takes, and the cost of doing it. Then we go on about the price of tea, coffee, sugar and milk.... Then when its all done, we sit and enjoy our drink.... Coz its cost us a bloody fortune to make it!
Old 26th November 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
Drinking coffee and tea is a ritual in the uk... making it from the kettle is a big part of it... It gives us an oppertunity to complain about how long it takes, and the cost of doing it. Then we go on about the price of tea, coffee, sugar and milk.... Then when its all done, we sit and enjoy our drink.... Coz its cost us a bloody fortune to make it!
It's very pleasurable ritual when it's cold! What a big difference on the attitude for an espresso...30 seconds...you are done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Turkish mocha is quite nice too but you really need to add the right of sugar before you start making it and then you have to boil it on the fire until it foams.
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/turkis...ages/sugar.jpg
I like too. Different taste, and different attitude It remembers me my holidays in Greece...and his cold version Krio or φραπές...

Last edited by azimut; 26th November 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:27 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Cost of a cup of tea:
Tea bag about 1p.
Milk/lemon about 1p.
Water almost free. (assuming tap water - faucet for Americans)
Energy to boil water about 3p (3kW for 3 mins at 20p/kWhr)
Cleaning cup/equipment afterwards - negligible.
So basic cost is about 5p per cup.

Then may need to add cost of time. Could be as little as 1 minute if doing something else while waiting for the kettle, or as much as 5 mins. If not working then time is free.
If working then time may be £1 per minute, but the time taken for making tea may reduce stress so have a positive result i.e. the cost could be negative!
Wild guess: time cost is somewhere between -£5 and +£5 so assume zero.

So a cup of tea costs 5p to make. A dedicated machine might be useful if someone has to make lots of tea, but we already have a device for that here: we call it a teapot.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You forgot to add 0.5p per spoonful of sugar for those who take it with their hot beverage!
That'll add another penny to the cost of a cup of tea for the average consumer or 7p for builders. ;-)
Old 27th November 2012, 03:55 PM   #15
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Sorry. I gave up the sugar habit many years ago. OK, we can push the cost up to 7p for a builder. I think the machine offered by the OP was an order of magnitude more expensive?

Something else to be aware of is that people can be quite fussy about exact strength of tea, or temperature for making coffee. All easy to adjust when making drinks the traditional way. Will the machine have knobs to set these parameters?
Old 27th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for the responses fellow DIYers. My apologies for implying one needs a machine to make hot beverages, it was not my intention. It's definitely interesting to hear all the perspectives.

Personally have a Nespresso machine, nothing too special but it's nice to drop in a cartridge and get an espresso shot full of caffeine in about a minute. Certainly lazy on my part I suppose. Tea is totally different though. I enjoy loose leaf and I take my time to steep it and prepare it with milk, but most people in the U.S. don't bother with hot tea oddly enough.

Thanks again with the responses!
Old 27th November 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

If the choice would be Nespresso or no coffee at all I'd become an avid drinker of water in an instant!

Just sayin'…
Old 28th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #18
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Nespresso?
Nestlè really knows how to sell, very nice marketing concept!
But still I laugh when I hear "volluto". In Naples means "boiled" a taste that is not appropriate for coffea...
George Clooney Nespresso Mr. Decaffeinato & Miss Volluto CM - YouTube

They should say velluto = velvet...at least for italian market.

Try Illy... illy: espresso coffee meets the arts and opens the mind

Last edited by azimut; 28th November 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimut View Post
[theadjacking mode]
Massivly off-topic but I just could'nt resist anymore:

Illy is a good Italian Espresso for me. Personally I love Palombini, LaGenovese, Diemme, Parana and Caffe Roen... Difficult to obtain fresh but once tased you're sold
[/theadjacking mode]
Old 29th November 2012, 10:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Survey completed but I think it misses the point a bit for true coffee geeks, what about blending and roasting the stuff ? - that isn't covered at all

For those who frequent alt.coffee, my choice is DBHG ....

Hide this!Advertise here!