Australian Superstorms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
no ****, I woke up at 12pm today to crazy noise, went out the workshop to fine it starting to flood again.... last year it was because debris had blocked the drains, I went straight out to check, nope, this year it was simply because of the insane amount of water that fell and the drainage couldnt cope with the volume, then it was gone....

it started raining inside, water had blown in pretty much horizontally under the eves and into the roof, it came down through the light fittings, narrowly missing raining into my dac with the top off...

Superstorm hits Australia's east coast with 4000 lightning strikes in one hour in Brisbane | News.com.au

Whoa....

Makes me wonder what else is in store this/next year!

This seems to be the issue around my area too, every season appears to be arriving a month early here.

Brisbane superstorm November 17 2012 | The Courier-Mail

2QSYw.jpg

CWOAR!

Last edited:
I live in Woody Point...

it felt here today as if it scraped by us, we didnt see all that much action other than electrical, but not far from here and in brisvegas there were hailstones up to 10cm!

I was watching the geostationary radar, we got full blown warnings for this area, really concentrated storm 'cells' measurements off the charts in really spotty, kinda stochastic distribution. but yeah I guess it swerved to miss us by a few hundred meters, that jetty is literally 400m away from me

Last edited:
I love how some 'stupidheads' have misunderstood the term supercell and dubbed their videos 'Brisbane superstorm' it was very unusual weather and yes there was some damage, its a bit scary for the times ahead given how early i the storm season it is, but I would not call this a superstorm

swarms of flying ants again....! today wth!
Entomology has been a fascination for me since I was little. People along the Gulf Coast of Texas and Louisiana can tell you about the little black "love bugs" (Plecia nearctica, it has its own Wikipedia entry!). Back in the 90's, there was one year here in San Antonio when there were so many of a certain butterfly that they would die and look like autumn leaves as you drove down the street. Incredible. But it only lasted a day or two, then it was over.
I seem to recall that a certain specie(s) of ant "takes flight" at a certain time of the year. How much seasonal weather contributes I don't know. But I have witnessed the same thing you're seeing. With similar response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.