diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Why Dissonant Music Sounds 'Wrong' (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/223584-why-dissonant-music-sounds-wrong.html)

JZatopa 14th November 2012 06:07 PM

Why Dissonant Music Sounds 'Wrong'

Why Dissonant Music Sounds 'Wrong'

Saw this and thought some of you might enjoy it. I wonder if you could relate this to the tube VS. solid state argument?

DF96 14th November 2012 06:21 PM

It doesn't seem to say anything new, unless I misunderstood it. I thought this was known decades ago.

It says nothing about tubes vs. solid state, but it may say something (not much) about SE vs. PP.

picowallspeaker 14th November 2012 06:29 PM

I'm lazy cos I don't want to open the link
What does it say, in a few words ?

Thx :p:D

I'm also keeping this page opened

DF96 14th November 2012 06:49 PM

I'm too lazy to summarise it.

Pano 14th November 2012 08:02 PM

Seems very Western based. I think we are just used to the present tunings is all. How do people in other musical traditions react to the same tones?

What the article calls "dissonance" doesn't bother me much, I like a lot of it. But certain forms of distortion (e.g. electric guitars) rip my ears off. Tastes vary from the mainstream all the time.

picowallspeaker 14th November 2012 08:28 PM

I was listening yesterday a Paganini composition, in particular the concerto for violin solo and orchestra in D maior ( maybe minor :rolleyes: )
and I was reading that he used to tune the violin a semitone under but it was yet played in E ( maybe:p:o ) so to find particular arrangements :confused:

scott wurcer 14th November 2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pano (Post 3241770)
Seems very Western based. I think we are just used to the present tunings is all. How do people in other musical traditions react to the same tones?

What the article calls "dissonance" doesn't bother me much, I like a lot of it. But certain forms of distortion (e.g. electric guitars) rip my ears off. Tastes vary from the mainstream all the time.

Yes mine do, all the time. I have always liked Gamelan, Japanese and Chinese opera, etc. , and Hendrix.

picowallspeaker 14th November 2012 08:39 PM

Lygety Space Odissey's theme
Anyone ?!
Yesterday morning on the radio :rolleyes:

boris81 14th November 2012 08:49 PM

"For consonant intervals the overtones of the two notes tend to coincide as whole-number multiples, whereas for dissonant intervals this is no longer the case: they look more like the irregular overtones for sounds that are ‘inharmonic’, such as metal being struck."

They mean a flexible metal plate, right? Because a metal bell being struck will produce very pleasant harmonics.

One conclusion that can be drawn in respect to sound reproduction is that harmonic distortion is generally more tolerable than non-harmonic.

tinitus 14th November 2012 08:53 PM

because most people have poor speakers it often sounds much worse than it really is
personally, I like it, but in the long run it just sounds too depressing to me