Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 02:41 AM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Love it! Not kidding, loved it the first time watching 2001 in 1968 and nothing about it bothers my ears or sensibilities.
Ditto, one of my favorites. Atmospheres. The high warbling note is two piccolos, IIRC. (piccoli?) One of my biggest disappoints was years ago when we organized a concert of György Ligeti's music in Paris. He was to attend, but fell ill and could not make the trip. Great concert, sorry I didn't get to meet the man.

The fact that I worked at IRCAM for Pierre Boulez might also go some way in explaining my taste for dissonance.
Old 15th November 2012, 05:06 AM   #22
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Sorry but this sounds to me like BS. Enjoyed for its artistic value? So, people should start enjoying things because of their supposed artistic values? Good luck trying to convince an opera hater of its artistic value. Nah... if you like something it is because it appeals to your senses, I don't know in which way. Maybe because there's a mantra thing going on there, a kind of hypnotic induction, it gets you in the 'mood'. A friend dragged me to one of their concerts. OK, unusual 'instruments' and yeah, it doesn't sound like the Beatles but I didn't find the music pleasant to my senses; ergo I didn't like it, ergo artistic value my *** .

*I enjoyed the way Blixa destroyed his guitar amp though, used his axe as a spear. He wasn't happy with its sound. I understood.

* From EN I only like one LP, can't remember the name but they kept the metal banging to a minimum.

I don't think I expressed myself very well. I mean that dissonant music can be enjoyable but only when you are aware of it's context.

Some people like eating hot peppers, right? When you think about it there's nothing inherently pleasurable about hot peppers. They cause a painful burning sensation to the point where they can be used as a weapon. A baby will not enjoy a hot pepper. But a grown person who is aware of it's cultural context, of how to use it appropriately can learn how to appreciate it.

It's an acquired taste.

Last edited by boris81; 15th November 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 15th November 2012, 05:34 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
It's an acquired taste.
Right, like a beer for example. Or vodka. Or smoking tobacco. Attributes of "Grown up" life.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:10 AM   #24
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some people like eating hot peppers, right? When you think about it there's nothing inherently pleasurable about hot peppers.
I like eating hot peppers for its taste, not for the burning sensation after it
Old 15th November 2012, 06:14 AM   #25
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Right, like a beer for example. Or vodka. Or smoking tobacco. Attributes of "Grown up" life.
That explains why I stopped smoking at the age of 11, and never liked a beer. I never grown up
Old 15th November 2012, 06:16 AM   #26
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
That explains why I stopped smoking at the age of 11, and never liked a beer. I never grown up
not growing up is a good thing, I only smoked for 2 years but I wish I never did it anyway, I smoked anything, even White Ox...

Just before I quit I went searching for a pack of Lucky Strike, never did find them for sale.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:24 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Member Jay should have talked about Gamelan and the different pentatonic
scale instead of going OT
Old 15th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #28
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Haha. I like Diamanda and I have that CD. I have tried to listen to it from start to finish but, so far, no success. I think my current record is 4 minutes and a half. Haha. I LOVE Saint Of The Pit though.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Haha. I like Diamanda and I have that CD. I have tried to listen to it from start to finish but, so far, no success. I think my current record is 4 minutes and a half. Haha. I LOVE Saint Of The Pit though.
Last Halloween someone made a radio (college radio of course) request for "Litanies for Satan" just because they had never heard it. They called back and told them to take it off, and they did.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some people like eating hot peppers, right? It's an acquired taste.
Hot peppers can release endorphins, there are folks that get off on them. Not me, there is a new brand of pre-prepared Thai food on the shelves here that is actually made in Thailand. I ate one of the little red ones, bad, bad.

Hide this!Advertise here!