Death of the cassette tape much exaggerated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is not easy or simple for any big player to change the stream from digital to tape. Besides, technology wants everything to be smaller and smaller.

I have Nakamichi CR-5, CR-7 and some other better cassette players (but not as popular) taking space in my house. What a waste.

BTW, I have also many DAT players who take data from tape and apply digital technology in the middle of the process...

Last edited:
It's a non-story. Various types of data cassette have been used for backup media for at least 30 years. The data density has been increasing over that time. Presumably some technically-illiterate junior hack decided (or was told) to rehash a routine press release and then a sub-editor placed a completely irrelevant headline above it. Then journalists wonder why they are held in such low esteem!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just moved house and my cassette deck didn't make it back onto the rack (mainly because the preamp is broken and I am running direct feed into the amp, which may be a touch loud with the tape deck ;) I too have a Panasonic HIFI VCR which does a very nice job recording stereo. It's an NV-F65

Tony.

Like you said guys. Lame excuse of an article with pathetic introduction and even poorer headline. Making a semi-catchy audio related comment to start talking about non-audio tapes...
Only purpose is to advertise that IBM is working on a new magnetic system for SKA.

Unlike hard drive storage devices, which have to be on continuously, tape systems only consume power when data is being read or recorded, giving them a carbon footprint a fraction that of their disc-based counterparts.

that is really quite incredible isnt it? does this guy have somebody else to turn his computer on and off? or perhaps he lives in fear of a blackout, which could potentially ruin his life's work?

how the hell does that sort of idiot statement make it past the front desk? I suppose these jocks have been given the ability to publish directly? ohh what a wonderful world in the blogosphere.

no i'm not, you misunderstand my statement. in the quote I used, they claim that tapes have an advantage in that they dont need power to retain their information, news flash, neither do hard disks...

basically they make a patently false and uninformed statement

Unlike hard drive storage devices, which have to be on continuously
that is simply not true, if it were true they would never be able to turn their computer off and the whole place would be screwed if they had a power outage. to make a statement like that in promotional material is completely clueless

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.