diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Death of the cassette tape much exaggerated (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/223268-death-cassette-tape-much-exaggerated.html)

sofaspud 10th November 2012 10:00 AM

Death of the cassette tape much exaggerated

This article, as it turns out, isn't really audio related, but might be worth a guffaw or two. Or three.
They took a perfectly good story, and well...

Jay 10th November 2012 10:34 AM

It is not easy or simple for any big player to change the stream from digital to tape. Besides, technology wants everything to be smaller and smaller.

I have Nakamichi CR-5, CR-7 and some other better cassette players (but not as popular) taking space in my house. What a waste.

BTW, I have also many DAT players who take data from tape and apply digital technology in the middle of the process...

Wavebourn 10th November 2012 08:02 PM

I left single TASCAM 112MK2 in my house only. And I forgot when I used it last time...

Frank Berry 10th November 2012 08:05 PM

I have a Nakamichi MR-1 which I haven't powered up in more than two years.

DF96 11th November 2012 02:00 PM

It's a non-story. Various types of data cassette have been used for backup media for at least 30 years. The data density has been increasing over that time. Presumably some technically-illiterate junior hack decided (or was told) to rehash a routine press release and then a sub-editor placed a completely irrelevant headline above it. Then journalists wonder why they are held in such low esteem!

Pano 14th November 2012 01:18 AM

Yeah, kinda lame. And you know what? Hard drives don't use power if the are turned off - just like tape. I have several archives like that at home. They use zero power unless I need them.

freax 14th November 2012 01:24 AM

nice story, I can't wait to pay 3 grand for a drive then $500 per tape...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 3235855)
Besides, technology wants everything to be smaller and smaller.

I don't get why they don't release a new Laserdisc 12 inch format for 4K Blu-ray technology, as always though they are going to try and do it the hard way...

Wavebourn 14th November 2012 01:49 AM

I have also a couple of Panasonic pro VHS-es, I keep them because it is a technological treasure. How much will cost today to build such machine? And they record stereo audio surprisingly nice, despite of lame FM coding.

wintermute 14th November 2012 01:55 AM

I just moved house and my cassette deck didn't make it back onto the rack (mainly because the preamp is broken and I am running direct feed into the amp, which may be a touch loud with the tape deck ;) I too have a Panasonic HIFI VCR which does a very nice job recording stereo. It's an NV-F65

Tony.

Osvaldo de Banfield 15th November 2012 03:23 PM

It makes me to remember the early "datasette" for the "Commodore 64" machine.