Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #201
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post

I simply discount mindless faith based nonsense, that's all... seems to be some here, unbecoming to this forum
Well I would agree,

However, faith is based upon belief...I don't base anything on belief...I just don't understand whats going on...it goes against my science beliefs.

The problem with this kind of thing is, ask your self the question..

Look at post #111 of this thread...OK..now just think about it (just for a moment)...if this realy happened to you what would you think?

How can you just laugh it off...it dosen't make any sense.. Would you want to know what "IF anything was going on?"

Perhaps you would just say what a load of hogwash and just laugh it off..
However why would you do this..I can tell you why I would laugh it off because its scarey...I know it happened to me.

Here is some more "Make believe"..I thought this is complete rubbish so I came up with an idea (while on the toilet)..I thought OK if you can hear me listen to this...I want privacy..said ever time I had a c**p..I went to see a medium just for a laugh..the medium after about half an hour said," I have a message for you"..yes I said, You want privacy..they have heard you..they wont say why because it might embarras you.

How is this based upon belief?

So you go away and laugh it off again...sorry I didn't.I sat and thought.
Could it be telepathy...well science says thats rubbish as well..

If this was combined with the things I experienced<<<OK I know you wouldn't do it because its all hogwash..I agree...

NB..I am not religious...I just have no explanation..I have tried to think of every idea that could explain it even aliens...however, for any of this to happen try and explain it without telepathy..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 11th November 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:51 AM   #202
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

The trouble with the dragon in the garage story is that there is too much of an air of possible reasonableness to it, one could contemplate such a possibility of being in some ways a rational extension of our current understanding. 'Tis much better to go for something that has the true elements of the Monty Pythonesque about it, that reeks of ripe nuttiness to provoke easy mirth from those who see themselves as rational. Something along the lines of, reality actually has 6 dimensions of space and currently humans are only capable of sensing 3 under normal circumstances. This obviously has all the characteristics of the absurd, so will make it very easy to lampoon people who contemplate such possibilities ...

Frank
Old 11th November 2012, 08:51 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

OK just one more try...
Quote:
yes I said, You want privacy..they have heard you..they wont say why because it might embarras you.
This could be said to literally anyone, and they could relate to it.
A person wouldn't have to spend 4 years deep in research; this is cold reading 101 prerequisite.
BTW, among all the other rehashing obvious to anyone with any amount of knowledge of the subjects, discounting the "art of deception" explanations so casually makes one the close-minded type that is habitually directed to the other side. That seemed awfully obvious also, but I figured it needed to be said. Not that I'm expecting anything to change.
BTW2, I did at an earlier time give credence to a lot of what I now call pseudoscience, but T. Paine was right when he wrote my tag.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
BTW2, I did at an earlier time give credence to a lot of what I now call pseudoscience, but T. Paine was right when he wrote my tag.
The problem for some people, is that when they enquire they start to recognise patterns underlying seemingly unreleated experiences; they no longer listen to the precise interpretations given to these incidents by those involved, but start to perceive a very strong connecting narrative, "hidden" in all the strange explanations and beliefs.

Plus, they may have actual experiences that echo what they've read about: so much more convincing, to fully sense a jolt in the rump, in your mind and body, than to just come across other people who describe what it feels like when someone kicks them in the backside ...

Frank

Edit: (queue yet again spooky music) ... at the top of the current page is an ad for "Your Free Tarot Readings in 1 click here!". Gosh, that's gotta prove the world's magical, I reckon ...

Last edited by fas42; 11th November 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:24 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
OK just one more try...

This could be said to literally anyone, and they could relate to it.
A person wouldn't have to spend 4 years deep in research; this is cold reading 101 prerequisite.
Well its a supperb random comment...I have listened to a considerable amount from..as you put it cold reading..Guess what I have never ever heard someone say to another person you are asking for privacy..never ever...so it looks like its all random rubbish then..Cold reading..it must be very good to give pictures that match other pictures people see in there heads, and discriptons...I am not saying its spirit, life after death etc ..although it maybe..

Anyway we will assume its cold reading its probably safer..
Regards
M. Gregg
Old 11th November 2012, 09:29 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

I can only reply,
Somewhere in Cleveland a chiropractor is watching reruns of Leave It To Beaver.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:36 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

The point to contemplate, astounding though it may seem to many, is that there is, for want of a better word, more "intelligence" in the universe manifested in some form, than what is currently encapsulated in current human understanding of Everything. That is, the Big Picture may have a bit more depth to it than we can currently get a grip on. Or that there may be something that is just a tiny smidgeon smarter than we think we are ...

Incredible, but Possibly True ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 11th November 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:40 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

I must add,

I don't have a dragon in my garage.. Sorry slight modification..perhaps I do in the sense that I have many questions I can't find answers to..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 11th November 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Default duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
The point to contemplate, astounding though it may seem to many, is that there is, for want of a better word, more "intelligence" in the universe manifested in some form, than what is currently encapsulated in current human understanding of Everything. That is, the Big Picture may have a bit more depth to it than we can currently get a grip on. Or that there may be something that is just a tiny smidgeon smarter than we think we are ...

Incredible, but Possibly True ...

Frank
yes... it's true... we haven't (discovered, analyzed, explained, comprehended,... fill in your favorite verb[iage] here) everything

kind of goes without saying, don't you think??

idly postulating whether a beaver could grow wings might be fun to some (all things are possible, right?), but it does little to further our "horizon of intelligence"

John L.
Old 11th November 2012, 01:06 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Mysticism, the paranormal, an intelligent universe, the supernatural...or science, objectivism, and skepticism. Human existence from prehistory until the Enlightenment, with a few transitory exceptions was ruled by the former. For the last few centuries the balance has slowly tilted toward the latter, but the vast majority still are more comfortable with a blend tilted heavily toward the former.

So if you accept that these processes not subject to rational observation and testing exist, then it seems axiomatic that no assertion relating to them could be challenged. Then how do you separate the charlatan from the genuine? It seems a pretty slippery slope backwards to a fully irrational world.

Hide this!Advertise here!