Psychic pair fail scientific test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Phenomena that don't play ball with an experimenter are illusions.

OK I agree, (Fun Questions)

Here is a simple question..prove beyond all doubt..that when I look at something I see exactly what you see..

Next simple question...Prove beyond all doubt that the pictures you see in your mind are real..

Prove beyond all doubt that the colour red you see isnt the colour that I see as yellow..

Prove to me beyond all doubt that you (not your body) exist. However it is accepted that you in your mind are different to me.

When you talk to someone do you think of them as a lump of skin and bone or a being...why do you talk to someone who isn't real? If its only interaction of chemicals then you are deluding yourself..ie life is an illusion.

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If life is an illusion,

Then everything done by us is just performed by biological robots, programming (part of which is the self) set by the universe. (we believe we exist)

So all outcomes of experiments tell us (what?) everything means nothing..(it has no purpose)(we believe it has)
This could be the case...we are here because we can be..

I would think this meant that finding out if there is something more was very important...how else can we know our true nature?
Scarey isn't it...I think so.
Even more scarey than there is no other life only us...if that was the case.(anything else at this point is a belief)<<<<without which we would not be searching.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

What I experienced is still here, it did happen in whatever form people like to think..to me it is still very hard to explain..(Cold reading dosen't make pictures in your mind). I will agree there is something strange..(not controlled by us)..Perhaps it is within the ability of the universe to do strange things.
Some people in meditation had things like bright lights in their eyes when meditating..they said," These are deities that try to lead them from the path". They notice them and then go back to the quest. Yes I have seen these lights as well..its like a car head lights shining on your face with your eyes closed, if you open your eyes the room is still dark. (Perhaps its part of the programming).

If I had not done it myself I would think along the same lines (biological robots).

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
If life is an illusion,

Then everything done by us is just performed by biological robots, programming (part of which is the self) set by the universe. (we believe we exist)
Or, consider if life is an exploration of what's possible given a set of rules, as in the "laws" of physics. The game of chess is nothing more than a fairly straightforward number of possible moves in a very simple "universe", of a flat board, yet it is capable of delighting and intriguing minds of a high order for all their lives. Music is another playing with the possibilies of an easily comprehended collection of elements, which always is capable of extending yet again in another direction.

Man has always delighted in the possibilities inherent in, and the endless variety of forms resulting from these "rules" - maybe in that can be found some of the "meaning of life" ...? ;)

Frank

Last edited:
OK I agree, (Fun Questions)

Here is a simple question..prove beyond all doubt..that when I look at something I see exactly what you see..

Next simple question...Prove beyond all doubt that the pictures you see in your mind are real..

Prove beyond all doubt that the colour red you see isnt the colour that I see as yellow..

Prove to me beyond all doubt that you (not your body) exist. However it is accepted that you in your mind are different to me.

When you talk to someone do you think of them as a lump of skin and bone or a being...why do you talk to someone who isn't real? If its only interaction of chemicals then you are deluding yourself..ie life is an illusion.

Regards
M. Gregg

If this line of reasoning leads you to doubt the reality of your existence and question whether all of this is your illusion, distinct from my illusion, try this exercise. Next time you are standing at a busy intersection and a bus is rushing by in the curb lane consider stepping in front of the imaginary bus with your illusory body. If you decide not to run the experiment you have demonstrated a firm grasp on the objective reality of this corporeal existence.

These mind games were entertaining and stimulating 40 years ago, contemplated in a bong haze and viewed through a synthetic windowpane. Then we move on.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Next time you are standing at a busy intersection and a bus is rushing by in the curb lane consider stepping in front of the imaginary bus with your illusory body.

I never said the body was an illusion..:D
I'm refering to the mind.

Yes these things are strange to contemplate..However still relevant..Its either the biological robot or it's something else..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I usually talk to others of the homo sapiens class. They could be thought of as a "robot" I suppose, but when the operating system is hundreds of millions of years old, the software release is a hundred thousand or so years old, and the hard drive contains somewhere between a few and a hundred years of accumulated data, so to speak, it can resemble magic.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If this is correct,

It should follow that one day man/woman should be able to produce life from inert chemicals in a laboratory. Using no organic materials or intervention from microbes. Ie they should be able to make their own (Not borrow from other life)..This would then prove life can come from atomic structure with no other intervention. The question would then be what is life..However if this is not the case then it will create more questions..

Perhaps a sentient computer.....Mr Chandra..yes HAL..who is that standing beside you..there is no one HAL..Mr chandra will I dream..all living beings do HAL...:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Every time you enter a movie theatre and are drawn into the story line, the characters, etc, become emotionally concerned about the outcome, you are merging with another reality. A very rough and ready one, yes, but it demonstrates how the mind enjoys entangling itself with a version of "being" which is not the "correct" one. And if the resolution of the plot is poorly done, then often the viewer is quite disturbed, feels in some way he has been cheated ...

What's to stop "someone" creating a top notch movie hundreds of millions of years long, gives you plenty of time to add all sorts of refinements, indulge in a seeming endless permutations and variations of behaviours; and then allow all the "viewers" to adopt totally convincing avatars, and experience the showing from the "inside", a holodeck sort of thing ...

Frank

Last edited:
I heard a story. In the lab where people developed IE software one programmer learning Prolog language created a program that was answering like one of real mainframe users when called to chat. Later he discovered that the program started increasing file size using more and more disk space. He could not understand why, until realized that one of his collegues fell in love with it. :D

Every time you enter a movie theatre and are drawn into the story line, the characters, etc, become emotionally concerned about the outcome, you are merging with another reality.

No you are not. A movie is, by definition, not reality. Not even a rough and ready one. It is a construct, a facsimile, a reflection from time to time. But with zero exceptions, it is not reality.

What's to stop "someone" creating a top notch movie hundreds of millions of years long, gives you plenty of time to add all sorts of refinements, indulge in a seeming endless permutations and variations of behaviours; and then allow all the "viewers" to adopt totally convincing avatars, and experience the showing from the "inside", a holodeck sort of thing ...

Frank

Well, the first thing to stop "someone" doing this is that you have not defined that "someone" who can live the required hundreds of millions of years. Handwaving in the air about the possible is all very entertaining, but just because you can imagine something does not make it achievable.

Well, the first thing to stop "someone" doing this is that you have not defined that "someone" who can live the required hundreds of millions of years. Handwaving in the air about the possible is all very entertaining, but just because you can imagine something does not make it achievable.
Well, let's say you are about to do a very, very important exam and one of the questions is to conceive of an experiment, or a philosophical or other construct which has the best chance of discrediting such a conceit. Any thoughts of a good contender of an answer...?

BTW, no razors allowed ... ;)

Frank

not necessarily

Every time you enter a movie theatre and are drawn into the story line, the characters, etc, become emotionally concerned about the outcome, you are merging with another reality. A very rough and ready one, yes, but it demonstrates how the mind enjoys entangling itself with a version of "being" which is not the "correct" one. And if the resolution of the plot is poorly done, then often the viewer is quite disturbed, feels in some way he has been cheated ...

Frank

Speak for yourself... this royal "you" is presumptive

I enjoy movies in an entirely different mode... don't attribute your model with the royal YOU...

Rephrase it as "Everytime I enter a movie..."

You state an opinion as factual... not true

Rephrase it as "Everytime I enter a movie..."

You state an opinion as factual... not true
How about a compromise ... "some people"? :)

Actually, you didn't read that first sentence correctly: if it was intended to convey what you're complaining of then it would have been phrased: "Every time you enter a movie theatre, you are drawn into the story line, the characters, etc, you become emotionally concerned about the outcome, so now you are merging with another reality".

There is a distinct difference in meaning between those two versions ...

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.